View Poll Results: What did Verizon tell you?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Storm GPS is locked

30 24.19%
  • Storm GPS is unlocked

82 66.13%
  • What's GPS?

12 9.68%
    So i'm on the line with verizon right now 'cause i'm thinking about dropping att (bold price is high ) and getting the storm. I've read around here that verizon locks the gps to work with there program only which is a major no no to me. So, I asked the sales rep who transfered me to tech support. When I got him on the line I asked him about verizon locking the gps to there program only (please note that I hadn't mentioned the storm or blackberry by name to either of the reps) and he said yes thats true except with one device he knows about: BB Storm!

Is it true? Call and find out 8002564646 and post up what they tell you! I'm hoping a bunch of us crackheads can get to the truth of this!

Unlocked: GPS radio available to BBMaps and Google Maps
    Last edited by maxiang; 11-19-08 at 12:19 PM.
    11-19-08 12:13 PM
    storm gps is unlocked and can use google maps. turn-by-turn is only available through VZnav right now. unless someone comes out with an app that has it.
    11-19-08 04:17 PM
    Just read the BGR hands on and in the FAQ at the bottom he answers the GPS question for me. I'll cancel the poll when I get home. Oh, and thanks for the feedback anubus84.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 07:31 PM
    I read a review somewhere that said that BlackBerry Maps didn't even work... so it appears that Verizon locked the GPS as usual.
    11-21-08 03:51 AM
    It's locked - I installed Google Maps and the blue push pin on the screen had the "you are within this" halo around it.
    So sad - Verizon really is miserable with this.
    11-21-08 06:41 AM
    I talked to a Gainesville sales rep and he said they are going to unlock it here in the near future.

11-21-08 09:43 AM
    I have a pearl. I called customer service to fix my berry after I nuked it on the myspace app install. I inquired about getting the GPS unlocked. And even laying it on smooth for the hour it took to reprogram my pearl I wasn't able to get a word on how to get it unlocked on any phone. Has anyone called to complain and or theaten to cancel if they don't unlock? I'd be curious as to how the would respond to that.

11-21-08 11:52 AM
    I read a review somewhere that said that BlackBerry Maps didn't even work... so it appears that Verizon locked the GPS as usual.
    on my storm the GPS works AMAZING with blackberry maps, not so sure about google maps will let you know!
    11-21-08 12:05 PM
    If BB Maps works, maybe the idiots doing the review didn't know what they are doing.

But what about Live Search and Google?

What Verizon really needs... is TeleNav... not that crappy VZNavigator BS they push on everyone. The screen doesn't even turn off inbetween directions so you're always draining on the battery!
    11-21-08 10:21 PM
    Verizon's GPS relies on a connection to the Verizon mother ship to work. I doubt it will ever be unlocked.
    11-21-08 10:44 PM
    I spoke with TWO VZ folks today... Both said GPS is locked to third party aps.... $&*# VZN BS
    11-21-08 11:14 PM
    just to add my 2c it is locked
    11-22-08 10:48 AM
    on my storm the GPS works AMAZING with blackberry maps, not so sure about google maps will let you know!
    Tell me how it's working in a month. It started the same with the 8830 and then crapped out. It's the standard bait-n-switch VZW policy to get more money out of you to buy their $9.99 / month crappy VZ Navigator.

HH
    11-22-08 11:07 AM
    In BB Maps, I clicked on "find me" the first time I opened it, and it pulled me up to withing 50 yards. Gave my street name and everything.
    11-22-08 11:39 AM
    i cant seem to find the "find me" option any help
    11-22-08 04:07 PM
    BB maps works fine.

By default the GPS Services setting in the advanced options is set to "E911 only". Need to change this to "Location On" and then the find me option will appear on BB maps.

Google Maps doesn't seem to work. It won't pinpoint the location... says something along the line of GPS unavailable
    11-22-08 04:48 PM
    BB Maps worked just fine with my Storm, in fact it found me in my house. Thats somehting my ATT Curve couyld never do. So far I have found the GPS on BB Maps to be very quick in connecting. I read that it hasnt been working on Google maps, could that be an incompatibility with the OS for the storm and not that VZW has locked it out?
    11-22-08 05:13 PM
    Go to Advanced Options, change GPS from E911 only to Location. Open BB Maps, you will have the option. I have not confirmed it with any 3rd party apps but it does work with the built in BB Maps.
    11-24-08 10:50 PM
    well... I am not certain on this but I believe that google maps just doesn't have full storm support yet..

Because if it was locked more then likely BB maps wouldn't work the GPS is a radio if it was locked more then likely it wouldn't work at all until Verizon unlocked it. However they could have it in there so it works only with BB maps but I think thats unlikely.

Just my 2 cents

Does anyone have VZnavigator on there account thats willing to download google maps and test the GPS to see if it works? Because if that doesn't work then I can almost guarantee its a google maps problem.
    11-25-08 01:57 AM
    storm gps is unlocked and can use google maps. turn-by-turn is only available through VZnav right now. unless someone comes out with an app that has it.
    Garmin Mobile makes an app with turn by turn voice directions.
    11-25-08 05:59 PM
    Garmin Mobile makes an app with turn by turn voice directions.
    Does it work on the Storm?

11-25-08 06:05 PM
    Yes, it should work on storm
    11-25-08 06:07 PM
    GPS works on bb maps for me too
    11-25-08 06:14 PM
    Does anyone have Garmin up and running?

11-25-08 06:26 PM
    well... I am not certain on this but I believe that google maps just doesn't have full storm support yet..

Because if it was locked more then likely BB maps wouldn't work the GPS is a radio if it was locked more then likely it wouldn't work at all until Verizon unlocked it. However they could have it in there so it works only with BB maps but I think thats unlikely.

Just my 2 cents

Does anyone have VZnavigator on there account thats willing to download google maps and test the GPS to see if it works? Because if that doesn't work then I can almost guarantee its a google maps problem.
    Google Map works on my storm. It gives me my location within 1200 m.
    11-27-08 04:07 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD