I thought my BB was unlocked also - Had GPS with BB maps - Until I cancelled my free month of VZ Nav & deleted the VZ Nav app. - now BB map does not work, can't locate sats.....
    VZNav has nothing to do with it, you can install it remove it , what ever .... It does not effect the BBmaps program...... Something else is wrong in your settings....
    12-05-08 01:17 PM
    I thought my BB was unlocked also - Had GPS with BB maps - Until I cancelled my free month of VZ Nav & deleted the VZ Nav app. - now BB map does not work, can't locate sats.....
    Pull your battery
    12-05-08 01:47 PM
    anyone's geotagging pictures working?

mine isn't on my 8130.
    12-05-08 02:08 PM
    No, the camera can't acquire a GPS signal (yet?).
    12-05-08 03:21 PM
    this forum is great. i learn about the verizon gps unlocking here. on another thread i learn about how to make opera load pages faster by enabling socket mode. great tips and very cool people who don't mind to share.
    12-05-08 03:55 PM
    anyone's geotagging pictures working?

mine isn't on my 8130.
    i am wondering how this works as well.
    12-05-08 03:57 PM
    I myself just randomly tried last night on the way home and I couldn't believe it. 13 sats and even gave me VERY accurate MPH in the car. FINALLY!!!!! VZW does something right. Google maps doesn't work though...
    What OS are you running? It won't work on mine.
    12-05-08 04:33 PM
    Ok, you guys are the experts, I guess I need some help getting this going.

This is a BB Pearl 8330, latest updates, etc.

If I go to Options>Advanced>GPS - it says Data Source: Device GPS - Location On.

I've checked application permissions - all are set to "allow"

If I go to Options>Advanced> Maps, default service is BlackBerry Maps NA (north america?)

If I go to Maps from the app menu, I get the map up - no mention of a gps/satellite location. Click the bb button, go to "options" - I see GPS Source NONE - and I can't change it.

No maps for me? What am I doing wrong?

I've pulled the battery, gone outside, etc - nothing yet. I'm in NY.
    Last edited by hostpc; 12-05-08 at 07:20 PM.
    12-05-08 07:16 PM
    No maps for me? What am I doing wrong?

I've pulled the battery, gone outside, etc - nothing yet. I'm in NY.
    Are you running 4.5? Start BB maps and select "start GPS navigation" from the menu. Give it a minute or two to acquire a satellite fix. Try it outside.
    12-05-08 07:23 PM
    See, I'm a newbie ... 4.5? My Desktop manager says v4.6 - is that what you mean?

I don't see anything that says "start gps navigation"
    12-05-08 07:26 PM
    hostpc go to options>>about it should look something like this
    v4.5.0.77 (Platform 3.2.0.51) the first part of it is your os version
    12-05-08 09:29 PM
    I'm having a similar problem, but I know for sure I'm running 4.5.0.77 Platform 3.2.0.51

I've updated the service books, pulled the battery, set permissions on BBMaps to allow, turned the GPS to Location On. Still no option for GPS in BBMaps. Ugh! So close!

EDIT: I had an old version of BBMaps installed. I uninstalled that and installed the latest version and now all is right with the world! Hopefully Verizon takes it a step further and unlocks more 3rd party apps.
    Last edited by fredbear; 12-05-08 at 11:27 PM.
    12-05-08 10:12 PM
    Got it.

Told ya I was a BB newbie. I downloaded the DesktopManager upgrade from RIM and it upgraded my BB to the latest version ...viola, maps worked!

Thank you all for your help!
    12-06-08 05:16 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD