ok ... go to options>> advanced options>> applications>> scroll down to BB maps>> hit the BB button >> go to edit default permissions>> make sure all 3 say "Allow" and you should be good. Just make sure under advanced options and GPS, its also set for "location on"
    12-04-08 01:36 PM
    did that and now my dashboard won't even show up on maps hahaha.
    12-04-08 01:45 PM
    def. works in blackberry maps, and googlemaps does say "location to within 2500m, waiting for satellite"
    12-04-08 01:51 PM
    I set all of the setting per the instructions here -- allow on permissions, location on, and then did battery pull and tried to find my location - endless "searching for satellites" any ideas? poor reception? - I'm a basement going 1 bar to 3.
    12-04-08 01:55 PM
    uhh you gotta be outside or near a clear window.
    12-04-08 01:57 PM
    wow - you're not kidding, that made a world of difference. I have a home office and live down here in my little cave of a basement. I use my blackberry all day on phone calls and have NEVER had a reception issue. So, I assumed that I was setting up the GPS thing wrong since it continually was "searching for satellites" I took Yerster's advice and went outside. It's snowing (thanks Yester, i'm still in my pajamas and barefoot) -- whaddaya know -- it "found me in about 5 seconds flat and works like a charm. Crackberry RULES!

so, moral of the story is - you need a pretty solid signal to use the GPS - but, hey it's free.

now maybe I should get out of my pajamas and actually do some work today.
    12-04-08 02:10 PM
    Got it on my 8330! Good heads up!!
    12-04-08 02:13 PM
    yes, thank you to the OP for "discovering" this. What do you think happened? Why is this working all of a sudden? Did VZW wake up one mornign and say, "hey, let's just give this away" or did the OS upgrade make GPS work and no one bothered to actually try until recently?
    12-04-08 02:25 PM
    I have been trying it once a week, now this morning it works.... hmmm Might have to call my verizon peeps and see what's up, I don;t see any new service books nor have i sent any......

Keep you posted....
    12-04-08 02:26 PM
    it likely wont work with the current version of google maps, as google hasnt had to program it to work with verizon before now (except for the storm, which doesnt work with google maps either yet)

you might try nav4all and see if it works, it does for the storm.
    12-04-08 02:31 PM
    WOW!!! Thanks everyone for all the help confirming this. I thought I was going crazy this morning when I saw it finally work...LOL...
    12-04-08 02:42 PM
    what do you people do??? do you just go in every few days to see if things that weren't working are now working? That is dedication and you are to be commended for your addiction. Or, you are to be shown pity.... I'm unsure about this.
    12-04-08 02:45 PM
    Hey guys, when I upgraded to 4.5 I deleted BBmaps and now can't seem to find the link where to download it. Anyone have the link?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 02:51 PM
    I have an 8830 and it works!
    You got it to work on your 8830? What version are you running?
    Won't work on mine!
    12-04-08 03:24 PM
    my storm actually works with www.gps-snitch/blip

That's pretty cool. Nothing else works except BB Maps though
    12-04-08 03:36 PM
    Do we have to have 4.5 installed to use the GPS? Anyone get it to work with Google Maps yet?
    12-04-08 03:38 PM
    Yes, 4.5 must be installed because the BBMaps in 4.3 is not enabled for internal GPS.
    12-04-08 04:54 PM
    I heard they unlocked both the Curve and Pearl but I can't get it to work...

What are you guys using for "GPS Data Source"? under options>advanced>gps? I show options for both "Device GPS" and "Blackberry 8130"....

I also just upgraded further to the Alltell 4.5.0.89 since I was having media player/memory issues, could this be the issue? It runs great except I want GPS!!!!!
    12-04-08 06:32 PM
    works on my storm...got 10 satellites
    Hey I have the Storm too! Is this a free service, or will you be charged the same as the VZ Nav fee? **** VZW can be shady sometimes! LOL!
    12-05-08 12:33 AM
    Hey guys do you know if Verizon will charge if we use the GPS on BBmaps? Do you think they would charge the same fee as VZ Nav? If so get back with me, I would hate to have a big cell bill! feel me?
    12-05-08 12:41 AM
    Hey guys do you know if Verizon will charge if we use the GPS on BBmaps? Do you think they would charge the same fee as VZ Nav? If so get back with me, I would hate to have a big cell bill! feel me?
    It's free.
    12-05-08 07:30 AM
    I myself just randomly tried last night on the way home and I couldn't believe it. 13 sats and even gave me VERY accurate MPH in the car. FINALLY!!!!! VZW does something right. Google maps doesn't work though...
    12-05-08 07:49 AM
    Wow, I just returned my Storm (hated the touchscreen) and got the 8330 yesterday, thinking there would be no free GPS. Nice surprise!
    12-05-08 08:11 AM
    I thought my BB was unlocked also - Had GPS with BB maps - Until I cancelled my free month of VZ Nav & deleted the VZ Nav app. - now BB map does not work, can't locate sats.....
    12-05-08 10:39 AM
    just as everyone else, i can confirm that it works
    12-05-08 11:14 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD