Hi all, this is my first post here so I hope I'm really seeing what I think I am but, I've been hearing that Verizon was to possibly unlock GPS on their phones. I have an 8330 and have been trying BB maps GPS option alot here lately just in case and today when I was leaving for work I tried yet again and It Worked. It grabbed the satellite info amd I drove all the way to work with it. Its still working even now 2hrs. later. I hope I'm not reporting something bogus so can someone help me confirm this please.
    12-04-08 08:35 AM
    Confirmed on my 8330. HOOOOORAY!
    12-04-08 08:45 AM
    I just tested on mine, says your location within xx meters. waiting for GPS (the GPS part is new) This is in google maps, don't have BBmaps installed to try it there.
    12-04-08 09:04 AM
    Crud. I'm in the basement of a University builing in the data center. Cell reception cannot penetrate down here, let alone GPS signal. Taking my VZW 8330 outside to confirm.
    12-04-08 09:18 AM
    Confirmed!! Went outside and GPS picked up right away. Dead on accuracy. Using BB Maps.
    12-04-08 09:25 AM
    anybody who's gotten this to work on BBmaps able to test it on google maps? I'm not sure if it's not working due to where i'm at, or just not enabled. just wondering if maybe they opened it for bbmaps but not for gmaps.
    12-04-08 09:55 AM
    I have an 8830 and it works!
    Last edited by Mxkied2; 12-04-08 at 10:47 AM.
    12-04-08 10:17 AM
    The GPS seems to be tied to BB Maps only. Google and MSN maps aren't working. Though, Google now says that it's "Waiting for GPS", which I don't recall it ever saying that before. So, seems like Verizon found a way to lock the GPS to BB Maps. Now, I wonder if they blocked the BT GPS I use...
    12-04-08 10:19 AM
    When I go to lunch, I'm going to check BerryLocator and see if the GPS will work with that or if it's locked to BB maps.
    12-04-08 10:21 AM
    I've tried it with InstaMapper and it doesn't seem to work.
    12-04-08 10:42 AM
    just tried it and its still stuck on searching... no luck!

Do I need to download a newer version or something? Which v r u guys running? Mine looks like its the same as the os 4.5.0 etc...

my gps settings are also set to "location on" so...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-04-08 at 10:48 AM.
    12-04-08 10:44 AM
    seems to be working only with blackberry maps for me. tried running google maps whith BB Maps running also and still only achieved triangulation type location with google maps.
    12-04-08 10:45 AM
    Bbmaps work but the google maps doesn't work for me either

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 10:54 AM
    Confirmed BBMaps on my 8130, indoors. Nice!
    12-04-08 11:05 AM
    just got BB maps installed and running, thanks for this update!! On question for BBmaps users, does it track as you drive along like googlemaps does?
    12-04-08 12:29 PM
    I GOT IT!!! ha to set permissionsa on the app itself to allow instead of custom
    12-04-08 12:36 PM
    OK -- I/m new to this whole "gps" thing and I feel ********.

I downloaded BB maps and installed it on my device (in case you're on WAP - I'm on VZW w/ an 8330)

I went to the "help" menu and it says that to get directions I should (while on a map) >> menu >> get directions >> where I am. -- problem is the option "where I am" isn't there.... Am I missing something?

All this app seems to do is just give me directions if I plug in a start point and an end point. That's not GPS - that's directions. A good old fashioned paper folding map is a heck of a lot easier to use. So, how do I get it to "find" my location and actually use the GPS component that is supposedly no longer based on triangulation but truly GPS and accurate within a few meters? Did I instsall someting wrong or do i need to turn on some sort of option to make this work?
    12-04-08 12:54 PM
    I GOT IT!!! ha to set permissionsa on the app itself to allow instead of custom
    that sounds like the problem I'm having, when i click options i don't see where any option exists fro "allow" or "custom" -- where is it?
    12-04-08 12:56 PM
    ahhhhh --- FOUND IT!!! I went to (from home screen) options >> advanced option >> GPS >> GPS services >> I was set to 911 only -- switched it to "location on" and then when I went back to BB maps the option for "where I am" was there.
    12-04-08 01:00 PM
    I confirm that it only works with bb maps. Even after setting perms on other apps. Oh well. It's a start.
    12-04-08 01:03 PM
    ya but you were asking about permissions, this is under application then select the application and change permission there.
    12-04-08 01:04 PM
    ya but you were asking about permissions, this is under application then select the application and change permission there.
    man, I don't know what I did. i tried a search and it had my location about 2 blocks off. So, i went to the (from home screen) options >> advanced options >> applications >> bb maps and when I clicked on it the berry shut down - went totally black screen and died -- WTF??
    12-04-08 01:08 PM
    works on my storm...got 10 satellites
    12-04-08 01:12 PM
    is this after you've upgraded to the 4.5 release from VZW? I'm on 4.5.0.77 and maps is looking for sattelites but doesn't discover any. I switched my GPS to location on too, so I have no idea
    12-04-08 01:24 PM
    man, I don't know what I did. i tried a search and it had my location about 2 blocks off. So, i went to the (from home screen) options >> advanced options >> applications >> bb maps and when I clicked on it the berry shut down - went totally black screen and died -- WTF??
    dude, LOL

just battery pull and start over. Follow my step by step post and you should be alright
    12-04-08 01:30 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD