People seem to get varying results with Verizon GPS and BB Maps so I wanted to check my understanding with the gurus out there.

I have no problem with my Curve and GPS using Verizon at home.

I tried it in Cancun but never got beyond "searching for satellites" even after 10 minutes under clear skies.

I assumed it was because the aGPS required actual Verizon cell towers; the phone could not find the GPS satellites using the roaming cell towers (or w/o cell towers). I had normal ("roaming triangle") phone service and slow data service (1x).

Is this correct or have others gotten Verizon GPS to work outside of the US?

Thanks!
    12-29-08 08:57 AM
    People seem to get varying results with Verizon GPS and BB Maps so I wanted to check my understanding with the gurus out there.

I have no problem with my Curve and GPS using Verizon at home.

I tried it in Cancun but never got beyond "searching for satellites" even after 10 minutes under clear skies.

I assumed it was because the aGPS required actual Verizon cell towers; the phone could not find the GPS satellites using the roaming cell towers (or w/o cell towers). I had normal ("roaming triangle") phone service and slow data service (1x).

Is this correct or have others gotten Verizon GPS to work outside of the US?

Thanks!
    BB Maps does not use aGPS, I repeat does not use aGPS. aGPS stands for assisted GPS, and it involves triangulation of cellular signals. BB Maps actually uses the physical GPS chip but either RIM or VZW coded BBMaps so that a cellular signal was required to be on in order to get a position, most likely to download maps. In answer to your question, I was just in Veracruz for three weeks and had no problems using the GPS on my Verizon 8130. My best advice to you is to pull the battery out of you phone, and try again.
    01-04-09 05:09 PM
    Thanks for the clarification on aGPS.

So did you have a verizon signal or another company's roaming signal?

I never got beyond searching for satellites but I am willing to take the hit for Crackberry by doing a battery pull and taking another vacation to Cancun in a quest for knowledge.
    01-05-09 11:48 AM
    I am going to Cancun in August and will find out if it works or not. If anyone wants to donate $ to my research just let me know. I plan on upgrading my plan to nationwide+Mexico before I go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 02:57 PM
    I was on the west coast of Mexico, Sonora desert/Sea of Cortez area and had no VZW signal or Sat lock w/ BBMaps. Lost it connectivity around the Southern part of Az. Couldn't even *228.
    05-26-09 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD