I have an 8330 Curve and I cannot get any GPS app to work. I was told that Verizon locks out third party GPS apps on the Curve and other BB's. Anyone know how to get around this?
    07-28-09 11:42 AM
    You can't. People have tried all and there is no way around it. The only thing u can do is get a bluetooth gps puck like the freedom 2000 and connect it to the phone via bluetooth and use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 11:57 AM
    The only applications it will work with are BlackBerry Maps and VZnavigator. All other applications are blocked.

07-28-09 02:42 PM
    You can't. People have tried all and there is no way around it. The only thing u can do is get a bluetooth gps puck like the freedom 2000 and connect it to the phone via bluetooth and use it.

The only applications it will work with are BlackBerry Maps and VZnavigator. All other applications are blocked.

You can also upgrade to a Storm or a Tour. These Verizon Blackberry phones do not have the GPS locked down.
    07-28-09 02:45 PM
    They did lock it out but it's available on the tour & the storm....
    07-28-09 02:47 PM
    I use BBMaps when I need GPS accuracy and Google Maps when I want things to look nice. Works for me well enough.
    07-28-09 02:51 PM
    Poynt can get you close enough via Cell-Tower Triangulation (or whatever they use) and then hit the option to map it out on BB Maps and there ya go. That's what I do.

But smh at VZW for locking it out on 3rd Party apps...

07-28-09 05:25 PM
    are you telling me that, that gps unlock wont work for you guys?

The one were you use qpst etc?
    07-28-09 05:30 PM
    not all GPS apps are blocked... i have found that a turn by turn GPS app called "nav4all" and a location app called "Where" both work with the built in GPS and are accurate within about 20 feet.

i dont believe that verizon blocks any GPS software it has more to do with the fact that the 8330 doesnt use traditional GPS location it uses something called A-GPS (assisted by cell tower triangulation).
    Last edited by zyiro; 07-28-09 at 06:50 PM.
    07-28-09 06:46 PM
    not all GPS apps are blocked... i have found that a turn by turn GPS app called "nav4all" and a location app called "Where" both work with the built in GPS and are accurate within about 20 feet.

i dont believe that verizon blocks any GPS software it has more to do with the fact that the 8330 doesnt use traditional GPS location it uses something called A-GPS (assisted by cell tower triangulation).
    Do these applications work with the 8330?

07-28-09 06:59 PM
    Do these applications work with the 8330?

I downloaded WHERE and am gonna try that when I get outside to see if it'll lock. I doubt it but we'll see. Its slower than **** too but I'm hoping that's just from trying to find a satellite cause if its always this slow, its not even worth it to me. I'll go back to the Poynt and BB Maps combo.

We'll see later I guess.

07-29-09 12:43 AM
    I have Garmin GPS software on my Tour and my Sons Storm. It is $99.00 but it works great......At least on these two phones.
    07-29-09 12:54 AM
    The GPS on Verizon for 3rd party apps is only unlocked on their 4.7 OS world phones (Tour and Storm) due to people concerned about using GPS over seas.
    07-29-09 01:11 AM
    Reference my last post. The answer is NO. WHERE does not work on VZW's Curves. Shoulda known. Back to Poynt and BB Maps.
    Last edited by doctorlove316; 07-29-09 at 04:16 AM.
    07-29-09 03:02 AM
    Reference my last post. The answer is NO. WHERE does not work on VZW's Curves. Shoulda known. Back to Poynt and BB Maps.
    Are you able to get some type of GPS or cell tower signal using Poynt?

07-29-09 09:24 AM
    I use the windows live app for directions but it doesn't use gps.

07-29-09 09:53 AM
    Are you able to get some type of GPS or cell tower signal using Poynt?

Yeah, like I said in my previous post, I use Poynt and that uses cell tower and then I use the option to map it out on BB Maps and use the GPS that way.

07-29-09 10:42 AM

i have a VZW curve(8330) and Where is able to find my location using the internal GPS.

Make sure you dont have your GPS turned off
    07-29-09 01:38 PM
    Does anyone know how to get Blackberry Maps back if it was deleted? I tried doing the OTA download from RIM, but it says it is only available for OS 4.1 and 4.2. Seems like there must be a downloadable version for 4.5. Any suggestions?
    07-29-09 03:05 PM
    Use dm to reload bb maps. When you restore apps you need to make sure the box next to bb maps is checked or it won't reload.

07-29-09 05:52 PM
    It works on mine
    07-29-09 05:54 PM
    I've had a VZW Curve since the week they were introduced. My 8330 would only allow GPS with VZNav. Late last year, VZW 'unlocked' GPS and my 8330 then would work with BBMaps--but nothing else. A month ago, before my 8330 went for an unscheduled swim, the ONLY non-VZNav app that would work with it was BBMaps.

Now I have a Tour, and most 3rd party apps access the GPS just fine.
    07-29-09 06:16 PM
    Why is it that with bbmaps you have to keep refreshing though? I like the view when you don't have an actual destination. Any bbmaps tips?

07-29-09 06:37 PM
    They just need to unlock it, this has been going on for a long time...
    07-29-09 06:53 PM
    Use dm to reload bb maps. When you restore apps you need to make sure the box next to bb maps is checked or it won't reload.

I thought that would work as well, but it doesn't appear as an option when I go into DM. Do you have to browse to some installer on the C: drive?
    07-29-09 07:42 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD