Industry minister strikes back on telecoms' wireless 'rhetoric' - Canada - CBC News

I'm surprised there isn't much discussion about this in these forums. I've searched but found no posts.

Still, I'd like know what you all think. The debate seems to be heating up and will only intensify as the article states. I think that the Canadian telecoms are waging a scare campaign and they're spewing all kinds of BS to protect their quasi-monopoly. For once the government is putting the consumer's interests ahead of corporate profits, and this from a party that is historically the most business-friendly.

Here are the websites for both sides presenting their cases: Consumers First | Consumers First set up by the Conservatve Party and Fair For Canada - Stand up for Canada set up by the telecoms.

I'm sure there's some amount of truth to both sides of the debate but who do you think is more truthful?
    08-18-13 06:01 AM
    In general competition is good. The only thing I might not like it to be Verizon is if they make their network CDMA. One of the recent ads I have been hearing on the radio is how much more expensive the rates are in the US based on some study. If this was true, what are they worried about. It is likely they were comparing apples to oranges, ie a US two year plan with a Canadian three year plan.

Posted via CB10
    BerryWizard likes this.
    08-18-13 06:22 AM
    As much as I hate Roger and Bell if they aren't going to lower prices why would anybody want to be with Verizon with the slowest updates in the entire world.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    08-18-13 07:10 AM
    I think its great to see more competition , if the Government is allowing it they must know how badly we are getting screwed over. Just like allowing us to bring back more $ worth of goods from cross border shopping before charging us duty.
    08-18-13 07:23 AM
    As much as I hate Roger and Bell if they aren't going to lower prices why would anybody want to be with Verizon with the slowest updates in the entire world.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    Not an issue if you have an iPhone or a Nexus phone, oh wait, we have BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    BerryWizard likes this.
    08-18-13 07:23 AM

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    And if they are just buying the cheap mobile companies like Wind and Mobility, they are going to have poor reception for those who don't live in a major city or steps from the 401.

You get what you pay for!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 07:26 AM
    There was a thread about this earlier, basically the OP thought it'd be great and force the Canadian Big Three to be more competitive pricing-wise. A few of us current Verizon users State-side disagreed. Not sure what happened with the thread though...

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    08-18-13 07:32 AM
    I think the cb's tin foil hatters were right.
    Verizon decided to join the American media's conspiracy to eliminate blackberry.
    08-18-13 08:05 AM
    Competition is always good, and I love seeing bell, rogers and telus now shi ting In their pants.
    Next up some airline and bank competition hopefully.
    08-18-13 08:30 AM
    Competition is what Canada needs and has been lacking for a very long time. I can't believe that Bell, Telus and Rogers have the audacity to come up with a campaign to convince Canadians that Verizon coming to Canada won't be fair. Is it fair that they've been getting away with ridiculous rates for years? Is it fair that Bell and Rogers own all these radio stations, TV stations and the Leafs? Is it fair that Rogers, Bell and Telus have a monopoly over telecommunications and TV? If they're so worried about the big, bad US carrier coming to town, stop whining and lower your prices. Give your customers a reason to stay. They obviously don't want to do that as its not in the best interest of their shareholders. Bring on Verizon. Canadians will speak with their wallets.
    08-18-13 08:41 AM
    Competition is what Canada needs and has been lacking for a very long time. I can't believe that Bell, Telus and Rogers have the audacity to come up with a campaign to convince Canadians that Verizon coming to Canada won't be fair. Is it fair that they've been getting away with ridiculous rates for years? Is it fair that Bell and Rogers own all these radio stations, TV stations and the Leafs? Is it fair that Rogers, Bell and Telus have a monopoly over telecommunications and TV? If they're so worried about the big, bad US carrier coming to town, stop whining and lower your prices. Give your customers a reason to stay. They obviously don't want to do that as its not in the best interest of their shareholders. Bring on Verizon. Canadians will speak with their wallets.
    The point of the campaign isn't to stop Verizon from coming to Canada, it's to stop them from being able to buy our smaller companies at a discounted rate (since none of the big 3 can buy them) and let them use our infrastructure when they haven't invested a single penny in the country.

I also find it funny how you mention "Canadians" opening their wallet. You're a typical "Canadian" who wants to open his wallet for an American company.
    08-18-13 08:55 AM
    Also, anyone who thinks prices will go lower with Verizon coming here is smoking crack.
    00stryder likes this.
    08-18-13 08:55 AM
    They will back out. Too much government regulations that US companies don't like.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 08:58 AM
    The point of the campaign isn't to stop Verizon from coming to Canada, it's to stop them from being able to buy our smaller companies at a discounted rate (since none of the big 3 can buy them) and let them use our infrastructure when they haven't invested a single penny in the country.

I also find it funny how you mention "Canadians" opening their wallet. You're a typical "Canadian" who wants to open his wallet for an American company.

Isn't Wind mostly foreign owned? If these companies are being sold at such a discount, I would think it would attract other buyers.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 09:09 AM
    Bell, Rogers and Telus have an add running right now that says Americans pay more on average per month than Canadians. This is utter bull****. We (Canadians) pay far higher rates than our southern brothers.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 09:15 AM
    Also, anyone who thinks prices will go lower with Verizon coming here is smoking crack.
    Are you saying that Verizon is going to charge the same as Bell/Rogers/Telus or Bell/Rogers/Telus are not going to change their price to compete with the Verizon? If it is the former, what is Verizon going to do to build market share? If it is the latter, than Bell/Rogers/Telus are going to bleed customers to Verizon, unless Verizon had awful service.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 09:16 AM
    More competition, improved service possibly, friends and family cross border addition, more customers may equal cheaper plans......sorry scratch that....this is Verizon. But there would be some positive benefits hmm anyone remember NAFTA?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:02 AM
    Are you saying that Verizon is going to charge the same as Bell/Rogers/Telus or Bell/Rogers/Telus are not going to change their price to compete with the Verizon? If it is the former, what is Verizon going to do to build market share? If it is the latter, than Bell/Rogers/Telus are going to bleed customers to Verizon, unless Verizon had awful service.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! How in the world would Verizon come into Canada and attract customers? By offering better deals than the competition. So what will the Big 3 do in order to keep customers from jumping ship? Either price match or offer even better deals.

The only people smoking crack are those thinking Verizon coming into Canada is a bad thing for consumers. Do I care that they haven't paid for any infrastructure? Why would I? When you take over a company or business..generally that means you are taking over the hard work they've already put in. That's part of doing business. The only reason the Big 3 don't want Verizon in here is simply because then they'll actually have some competition on their hands.

Sent from my gesture controlled Nexus 4
    BB_Junky likes this.
    08-18-13 10:15 AM
    What's funny actually is how much you open your wallet on a daily basis for American (and other foreign) companies already. Am I supposed to be sad to pay less of my hard earned money for the same service versus more of my hard earned money to a local company that has taken advantage of consumers for years?

08-18-13 10:20 AM
    It has to be good for consumers since the big 3 are so against it.
    Rickroller and CairnsRock like this.
    08-18-13 10:27 AM

I could care less if the company is American. I'm all for competition because then the consumer wins. Canadians need choice. But hey, if you like bending over for Rogers, Bell and Telus then go for it. You're out to lunch if you think the big three don't want Verizon in Canada. Who is to say Verizon won't invest in this country? There is an upcoming sprectrum auction and in case you didn't realize, Verizon has $ for infrastructure. They're bigger than our big three combined.
    08-18-13 10:33 AM
    We need choice and competition.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:35 AM
    Quoted ad infinatum.

You think Canadian carrier profits are insane, take a look at AT&T and Verizon. Verizon is the biggest player in one of the biggest global telcom markets. Also, IIRC they used to own a small part of Telus?
    08-18-13 10:39 AM

The only people smoking crack are those thinking Verizon coming into Canada is a bad thing for consumers.
    .......and Rod Ford

Posted via CB10
    Rickroller likes this.
    08-18-13 11:12 AM
    What's funny actually is how much you open your wallet on a daily basis for American (and other foreign) companies already. Am I supposed to be sad to pay less of my hard earned money for the same service versus more of my hard earned money to a local company that has taken advantage of consumers for years?

It is funny they say that.. all I see in Canada is Chevrolet and other US brands
    08-18-13 11:29 AM
56 123