Hope all is well for you on this glorious HumpDay!

I had a question regarding data on Verizon.

I currently have unlimited data for 4 ppl on our family plan. My parents have smartphones and NEVER use data. My sister & I do use data. She has an iPhone 4S, I have a 9930 so as you can imagine I don't use as much data.

On average how much data do you all use, I would love answers from VZW customers who share data between 2-4 users. I can't justify paying for the phone outright as its been out for a while & now $99 w/new 2yr contract. I can honestly say I'm not leaving VZW any time soon. It's just the principle of losing unlimited data that bothers me.

1. How much data do you guys use monthly?
    2. How often do you go over?
    3. Z10 data usage, is it significantly higher?
    * I do have wifi in my apartment, so I've factored that in.

Thanks for your help guys, might have a Z10 by the end of the day if I get helpful info sooner than later. I apologize if this has already been brought up in threads past.
    06-26-13 03:38 PM
    5 people: 2 teens, me ( I actually use more than either kids), my husband and mom who use very little

We have 6 GB and use between 4 and 5 each month.

We have wifi at the house and I insist the kids use it.

Z10
    06-26-13 03:48 PM
    I have 2GB's of data allowance and I'm never close. Usually with 1GB or more to spare.

The key is just to simply wait till you're at home with WiFi to download movies, apps, and etc. Realistically, you have to be doing a lot to cross 2GBs.
    06-26-13 03:50 PM
    3 on ours and never go over 1GB, Everyone looks for wifi connections when out and about though. There is wifi all over the place if you look for it when you have to move a lot of data and not at home. I would think a 2gb plan would be fine with some care.
    06-26-13 03:56 PM
    1) I used 780MB last month. But I use WiFi at both home and work....

2) Only had a Z10 for two months - never went over. Before I had a 9650... which was too slow to use much for online content, so I never went over.

3) Higher than what? With a bigger screen and 4G connectivity, you are going to use it more than say my 9650. But no more than you would use Droid on 4G.

I would try NOT to loose the unlimited data - some have had success keeping theirs, some have not. Make a couple of phone calls to Verizon, go to a reseller and try a company store.
    06-26-13 03:57 PM
    I used to be on AT&T (with many phones up to a 9810) unlimited until June, and never used more than 700MB. I probably averaged about half of that.

I've been on Verizon since April and average about 2GB/month for just me. The usage has been about the same. I've noticed that the Z10 doesn't hold my WiFi as well as my 9810 did so I'm unexpectedly using data. I now turn off data when at home to force WiFi. Bottom line is I use about 4-5 times as much data on my Z10 as I did on my 9810.
    06-26-13 04:02 PM
    I would try NOT to loose the unlimited data - some have had success keeping theirs, some have not.
    I came in as a new customer from Sprint back in April, so obviously I didn't have this choice, but I would have done everything I could to keep unlimited data. A process going nuts at LTE speeds (I get around 40Mbps) could really sink you. Maybe (probably) I am overly paranoid, but I tend to just keep mobile data set to off (since they won't allow us to switch to 3G/1XEV) and switch it on as needed when WiFi isn't available.

I have read of a few isolated incidents of massive unexplained data usage, even with WiFi connected, but this could be from rogue apps -- especially with dodgy android ports. I do keep a sharp eye on my Data Monitor app.

I chose the 2GB pack, and I have been fine -- obviously with it off most of the time. :-P
    06-26-13 04:05 PM
    Thanks a lot for the advice and genuine responses. I just spoke w/ representative about why I have to lose my data if I renew. She hates the idea nut says its few and far between that ppl go over when aware if their plans. I think I'll go with 6 to be safe. I whined a little and got a slightly better deal due to my loyalty/tenure. Will also be getting some accessories in the mail free.

I'm walkin to the store as soon as this rain lets up. It's gonna be a long night, playing w/a new phone.
    06-26-13 04:37 PM
    Girlfriend and I just barely go over 2GB, but there isn't a 3GB option so we stay on the 4GB plan with plenty to spare.

Q10
    06-26-13 04:44 PM
    4 Smartphones on a VZW shared family plan with 4GB data. We've never gone over 3GB. And only then it was when my son turned off wi-fi to test something, then forgot to turn it back on for a few days. Normally we never go over 2GB.

The trick is to use wi-fi wherever possible. There are hot spots everywhere, so make use of them (including at friends houses).
    Keep in mind that with Verizon you can set up reminders that email or text you and everyone else on your data plan. And using a slider, you get to set when to get reminders (50%, 75%, or 90% used, ect.). If you think your going to go over, you can call and up the plan 2GB for an extra $10. Then drop it back down the next month if you don't think you need it. They've gotten much better at this, and surprisingly it was VZW that had suggested this to me.
    06-26-13 05:01 PM
    Or, do like I do and buy phones through E-Bay and keep your unlimited data.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    06-26-13 08:30 PM
    You don't have to loose you unlimited data. If your parents barely uses any data and one could live with 2 GBs have one of them upgrade to the phone you want. Then activate that phone on there line. After activating the phone on their line, reactivate (deactivate the new phone) their old phone and activate the new phone on your line. If the parent who is upgrading doesn't have an LTE sim they will have to use the one that came with the phone and you will need to call VZW to get a new one when you activate the phone on your line. To get a new sim just call VZW support, tell them you bought a phone on Ebay and you need a LTE micro-sim.

I know all of this works as it is what I did to upgrade to a Z10 and keep my unlimited data. I was coming from a BB 9850 which was not LTE but that wasn't a problem.
    06-27-13 09:21 AM
    You don't have to loose you unlimited data. If your parents barely uses any data and one could live with 2 GBs have one of them upgrade to the phone you want. Then activate that phone on there line. After activating the phone on their line, reactivate (deactivate the new phone) their old phone and activate the new phone on your line. If the parent who is upgrading doesn't have an LTE sim they will have to use the one that came with the phone and you will need to call VZW to get a new one when you activate the phone on your line. To get a new sim just call VZW support, tell them you bought a phone on Ebay and you need a LTE micro-sim.

I know all of this works as it is what I did to upgrade to a Z10 and keep my unlimited data. I was coming from a BB 9850 which was not LTE but that wasn't a problem.
    Dang! After all this time being patient, if I'd a waited just a little while longer I'd a had my cake and ate it too! I will pass this information on to friends tho- some of them are still fighting the good fight.

Its been almost 24 hours and I can't put this thing down. Trying to adjust to typing w/o a physical keyboard; as well as handling my twitter business on 'blaq' as opposed to ubersocial. 1st impression is, So Smooth!!!!
    06-27-13 11:42 AM
    Dang! After all this time being patient, if I'd a waited just a little while longer I'd a had my cake and ate it too! I will pass this information on to friends tho- some of them are still fighting the good fight.

Its been almost 24 hours and I can't put this thing down. Trying to adjust to typing w/o a physical keyboard; as well as handling my twitter business on 'blaq' as opposed to ubersocial. 1st impression is, So Smooth!!!!
    Sorry I was a too late with my advice. Even with my Unlimited data I still only use a little over a Gigabyte a month.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Z10. It is even better with some of the leaked OS's. I am running 10.1.0.2354 with the 10.1.0.2063 radio. I get good battery life and connectivity.
    06-27-13 01:14 PM
    Hope all is well for you on this glorious HumpDay!

I had a question regarding data on Verizon.

I currently have unlimited data for 4 ppl on our family plan. My parents have smartphones and NEVER use data. My sister & I do use data. She has an iPhone 4S, I have a 9930 so as you can imagine I don't use as much data.

On average how much data do you all use, I would love answers from VZW customers who share data between 2-4 users. I can't justify paying for the phone outright as its been out for a while & now $99 w/new 2yr contract. I can honestly say I'm not leaving VZW any time soon. It's just the principle of losing unlimited data that bothers me.

1. How much data do you guys use monthly?
    2. How often do you go over?
    3. Z10 data usage, is it significantly higher?
    * I do have wifi in my apartment, so I've factored that in.

Thanks for your help guys, might have a Z10 by the end of the day if I get helpful info sooner than later. I apologize if this has already been brought up in threads past.
    Everyone is different, it's comparing apples to oranges. I have to stay on WiFi most of the month or else I go over my data.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 04:49 PM