I am a new Verizon customer and just bought the Curve 8330. I was excited about the GPS function for use with golfcourse applications. No GPS application seems to work and Verizon told me that they don't support 3rd party GPS apps. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS? It really ticks me off because all of my friends and coworkers on other carriers have pinpoint precise accuracy with their GPS, (mine is only accurate with a few thousand meters) and are able to use golf applications ie. GOLFLOGIX. Will someone please explain why my phone's GPS sucks?? Any info will be appreciated.
    Last edited by nedradswain; 08-30-09 at 05:17 PM. Reason: title
    08-30-09 05:15 PM
    Vzw blocks its gps to 3rd party apps. You can use bbmaps and vznav...that's it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 05:18 PM
    Go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services > Choose location On (it is defaulted to E911 only)

Now your BB maps and GPS will work super!!
    08-30-09 05:46 PM
    THanks, I did that but the GPS is still not very accurate. Also, my GPS works with Google maps,(again not very accurate) so isn't that a 3rd party app? All I really want to do is install a Golf Gps application and my friends on other carriers have really cool applications.
    08-30-09 05:51 PM
    Vzw blocks its gps to 3rd party apps. You can use bbmaps and vznav...that's it.

This. If you need GPS, take the Curve back and get a Storm or Tour.
    08-30-09 05:57 PM
    THanks, I did that but the GPS is still not very accurate. Also, my GPS works with Google maps,(again not very accurate) so isn't that a 3rd party app? All I really want to do is install a Golf Gps application and my friends on other carriers have really cool applications.
    google maps is using cell phone tower triangulation, it isn't accessing the GPS.
    08-30-09 06:24 PM
    i have alltel and had the same problem i had to upgrade the software to .160 and it works with the 3rd party apps but only about 1/2 the time the 8830 has a weak gps in it so it never is very reliable to work all the time but upgrading will help
    08-30-09 06:30 PM
    Again, vzw blocks the gps to 3rd party apps. You can get a tour or storm, they use a different type of gps that isn't blocked by vzw. Changing your os won't help. Google is estimating your location based on the tower you are accessing and the range of that tower(not triangulation).

08-30-09 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD