Does anyone know what the contract between Verizon and RIM for the Storm is supposed to last? I've heard 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and for as long as the Storm sells.

Anyone know an official length of time??
    12-08-08 09:44 AM
    I doubt anyone knows the "official" but rumors are as long as Verizon makes their sales quota.
    12-08-08 10:02 AM
    For most products rim provides verizon with to push, the term is usually 3 years. For the storm, it could be different. I just transitioned from tier 1 support to tier 2 support so I'm just learning these things as I go along.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 02:56 PM
    3 years? That seems a little too long, because phones don't stay on the market that long, usually.
    12-08-08 03:25 PM
    Fetus8 are you Dan from RD? On aol?

12-08-08 03:58 PM
    3 years? That seems a little too long, because phones don't stay on the market that long, usually.
    yes but keep in mind that im sure their will be a newer version of the storm... ( just like apple released the second gen "3g Iphone") therefore that new version of the Storm would still be exclusive to verizon as long as they continue to meet their sales quota's..

(*This is just my assumption based on the history of other phones, and their exclusive deals with the provider... so please feel free to correct me if i am wrong)
    12-08-08 04:04 PM
    Fetus8 are you Dan from RD? On aol?
    No sorry.
    yes but keep in mind that im sure their will be a newer version of the storm... ( just like apple released the second gen "3g Iphone") therefore that new version of the Storm would still be exclusive to verizon as long as they continue to meet their sales quota's..

(*This is just my assumption based on the history of other phones, and their exclusive deals with the provider... so please feel free to correct me if i am wrong)
    true, true, but how long has a Blackberry stayed exclusive to one carrier for?
    12-08-08 05:52 PM
    Isn't this a moot point? It is exclusive until it isn't.
    12-08-08 10:41 PM
    I was talking to a T-Mobile rep at Best Buy and he told me that Verizon has a 1 year contract with RIM and then T-Mobile and AT&T will get the Storm. Also the Storm has WiFi built in and hopefully someone comes with software or code to unlock it.
    12-09-08 12:28 PM
    At the rate the Storm (is or isn't selling), I don't think VZW will have it exclusive for long.

I hear AT&T is getting the Storm early next year and it should have Wi-Fi.

I am waiting for that - :P
    12-10-08 08:12 AM
    I was talking to a T-Mobile rep at Best Buy and he told me that Verizon has a 1 year contract with RIM and then T-Mobile and AT&T will get the Storm. Also the Storm has WiFi built in and hopefully someone comes with software or code to unlock it.
    I believe the chip for Wi-Fi is missing in the device as they couldn't fit it, but when the GSM one comes out they can pull out the CMDA chip and replace it with a Wi-Fi chip.
    12-10-08 08:13 AM
    I believe the chip for Wi-Fi is missing in the device as they couldn't fit it, but when the GSM one comes out they can pull out the CMDA chip and replace it with a Wi-Fi chip.
    If you read the specs on the phone it is already set up for GSM. It will probably just get a software update to make it compatible with the 3G network and won't get the wi-fi chip that you all are hoping for.
    12-10-08 11:39 AM
    If you read the specs on the phone it is already set up for GSM. It will probably just get a software update to make it compatible with the 3G network and won't get the wi-fi chip that you all are hoping for.
    Read the specs again.

It doesn't have the right frequencies to work on the AT&T 3G network.

It will only work with Edge on AT&T if you unlock a Storm from VZW.
    12-10-08 11:41 AM
    At the rate the Storm (is or isn't selling), I don't think VZW will have it exclusive for long.

I hear AT&T is getting the Storm early next year and it should have Wi-Fi.

I am waiting for that - :P
    Not sure where you've been getting your incorrect info from, but the Storm has been selling very well. In fact, RIM reports that it had the highest single day for sales for any blackberry ever.
    12-10-08 12:12 PM
    Not sure where you've been getting your incorrect info from, but the Storm has been selling very well. In fact, RIM reports that it had the highest single day for sales for any blackberry ever.
    I wasn't stating it as a fact. I guess I should have put a face after it, hard to get across what you mean over the web.

Have you heard of the return rate - :P

I have been reading a lot of people returned them because of the issues and went with another BB. Personally if I had one I would stick it out and just wait for an update.

Do you have a link to the sales of the Storm?
    12-10-08 12:19 PM
    I wasn't stating it as a fact. I guess I should have put a face after it, hard to get across what you mean over the web.

Have you heard of the return rate - :P

I have been reading a lot of people returned them because of the issues and went with another BB. Personally if I had one I would stick it out and just wait for an update.

Do you have a link to the sales of the Storm?

Ah, I see. Yes, there have been issues with the Storm. I've replaced mine as a matter of fact. The question is, how many people are just returning them, and how many people or exchanging them. I'm sticking it out because, although the issues are frustrating, there is a lot of upside to the device, and I trust that RIM will eventually resolve all of the issues. What we have to understand, is that, this device is unlike any other blackberry, so it may take time to work out all of the kinks. This device just wasn't ready for primetime when it was released. I still wouldn't trade my Storm for any other phone on the market, even with it's issues. However, that Bold is one heck of a device. The Bold may be the best phone period, on the market imo. If RIM fixes the issues on the Storm, the Storm would be numero uno to me.
    12-10-08 01:51 PM
    Read the specs again.

It doesn't have the right frequencies to work on the AT&T 3G network.

It will only work with Edge on AT&T if you unlock a Storm from VZW.
    <Deleted> Didn't read the full post.
    12-10-08 09:27 PM
    The Storm does NOT have WIFi in it -- even the 9500 model used overseas. The chip simply isn't there.

Verizons exclusive is a US exclusive (Bell, Telus, an Vodaphone all have it now or will shortly) and there was talk of lifetime but most sources say one year. We shall see.
    12-11-08 02:45 AM
    I could swear I heard that RIM at some point said that the wi-fi chip could have been fit on board..

This next bit is speculation from people after that

Vodafone then told rim they didn't want wi-fi on it..

so neither storm ended up with wi-fi ..

This could be completely false as I have NO real place to put a quote from.
    12-11-08 04:43 AM
    12-11-08 05:19 AM
    it's been in effect loooooong before the storm and i doubt it will go anywhere anytime soon. But here is the real question, why get a blackberry if you dont want data? Please correct me if i am wrong but thats what the phone is for
    12-11-08 11:27 AM
    And I know that one personally. Especially for those customers that are not eligible for upgrade. It was a long day. Why do you think they had a back-order?

12-11-08 11:48 AM
    I doubt anyone knows the "official" but rumors are as long as Verizon makes their sales quota.
    This is what a VZW rep told me.
    12-11-08 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD