I had/used wm devices for years and loved the platform and service even with the freezes and slow downs. With the custom ROMs available it made it so much better. I'm waiting to see what nokia comes up with and since I'm a physical kb fan, they have had some great ones. Looking forward to maybe making it my next device platform next year sometime. It has very high potential imho.
    09-24-11 02:20 PM
    i have never owned a windows phone, but i have to say, i think the platform is freaking awesome. if i could port it to my current HTC i would. i've contemplated getting one just to see how it works as a daily driver, but i think i'll hold off just a wee bit longer. development needs to be just a tad higher than what it is right now, though even now, with 1% they have more apps and development than blackberry does, it's almost there. the basic OS is arguably the best OS on the market though, especially for messaging.
    WP7 Pre-Mango: Not Worth Consideration.

WP7 Post-Mango, assuming a 2nd Gen WP7 device: Good

I have an HD7. If I had the choice to undo that purchase, I would. The platform is not worth investing in pre-Mango. That's why sales aren't that good. People will not spend that much money on a phone/smartphone data plan for a platform that is more comparable to a feature phone than a smartphone.

After Mango is out to the devices, it will be good to go (what it should have been at release, I'm certain Microsoft rushed it out 6+ months early to try to provide some market disruption, there is no other explanation).

So wait for the next wave of devices to hit carrier stores before you get a WP7 device. They will have better HW (FFC, HSPA+/4G radios, more RAM, hopefully more Internal Storage (32GB Models plix), better back cameras, etc. etc.) and Mango will be pre-installed.

All the people talking about WP7 are looking towards the future. Right not, pre-Mango, the phone isn't even close to being competitive... With any major platform (Android, iOS, BB) in the carrier stores.

Just my opinion. I tell it like it is.
    09-24-11 07:30 PM
    yeah i'm following it all, i've considered getting an HD2 just cause they're cheap and can get mango on it to see how much i like using it daily. don't really like the white "radar" but maybe it'll come out in other colors. i would agree, wp7 is not a usable platform pre-mango.
    09-24-11 07:36 PM
    WP7 is awesome pre-Mango... at least for me it has been with the Samsung Focus. With Mango, it's even more awesome and I can't wait for the Focus S to get released. I can't wait for that device.
    09-24-11 07:50 PM
    It's pretty terrible pre-Mango. It LOOKS awesome, but it does not function awesome.

Push Notifications are Volatile. Live Tiles don't work half the time. Can't find a decent IM application. Email Client is pretty rubbish. No conversations, no Universal Inbox.

SMS/MMS Client is only half-done. Can't get video off the device without uploading it to something like YouTube. Cannot MMS or eMail video off the phone, at all.

No decent free Navigation like Bing Maps on Windows Mobile, Google Maps on Android, etc.

The browser is terrible. Almost no HTML5 Support and of course it does not support Flash or Silverlight (probably never will, if the Metro Browser in Windows 8 is an indication).

There's a ton more. There's a reason why they're bringing 500+ new features in Mango... Cause there was a ton of stuff missing in the RTM/NoDo releases.

Mango will be good. Outside of Aesthetics, pre-Mango WP7 is completely forgettable, and hardly a factor. People talking about its marketshare going up are looking towards the future. Microsoft rushed it out, by months, IMO :P
    09-26-11 08:04 AM
105 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD