Not sure if I should be excited or not about the Verizon BIS 2.8 update.
    Does anyone know what the new features are and or what has been changed?
    10-01-09 10:23 AM
    BIS 2.8 is for everyone (all North American carriers at the same time, actually), not just Verizon.
    The updates are found here:
    View Document
    Nothing to be excited about, really.
    10-01-09 10:48 AM
    BIS 2.8 is for everyone (all North American carriers at the same time, actually), not just Verizon.
    The updates are found here:
    View Document
    Nothing to be excited about, really.
    Yeah... not excited at all. I am actually, less excited.

Thanks for the link and the info.
    10-01-09 11:19 AM
    I think the only thing to be excited about is that BIS 2.8 is part of RIM's road map to launching OS 5 for the Devices, right? I know OS 5 works on current BIS, but I believe 2.8 has a lot to do with integrating with OS 5, just like BES 5 has many new features only available to devices on OS 5.
    10-01-09 11:24 AM
    Ya i think BIS2.8 was bringing more features just for OS5.0. One I remember was GMail contact syncing, was it not? This seems to of been dropped though, or maybe they are waiting to advertise it only after OS5.0 drops, so they don't receive complaints of it not working.
    10-01-09 12:58 PM
    Doesn't seem like its all that much to be excited about
    10-01-09 01:15 PM
    When will they adjust the 15 min polling period for BIS users , to have true push email?

Now THAT would be worth getting excited over. Until then, BIS upgrades don't mean much.
    10-01-09 01:26 PM
    It will also include this.

Google Contact Synchronization for customers using Google Mail*- Two-way wireless contact synchronization with Google Contacts, however, this requires 5.0 device software, which is not available at this time.
    10-01-09 01:49 PM
    It will also include this.

Google Contact Synchronization for customers using Google Mail*- Two-way wireless contact synchronization with Google Contacts, however, this requires 5.0 device software, which is not available at this time.
    There is plenty of 5.x device software out there. They may not be official, but they are still 5.x.
    10-01-09 02:03 PM
    When will they adjust the 15 min polling period for BIS users , to have true push email?

Now THAT would be worth getting excited over. Until then, BIS upgrades don't mean much.
    Dude, you said this in the Blog too.

I have no idea what you are talking about. BIS definitely has true push technology. I use gmail and yahoo on my BB and get my emails the second they are sent.

What are you using that there is a 15 min polling period? I've never heard of this before.
    10-01-09 03:19 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about. BIS definitely has true push technology. I use gmail and yahoo on my BB and get my emails the second they are sent.

What are you using that there is a 15 min polling period? I've never heard of this before.
    I have my internet carrier e-mail address on my phone, and I get the 15 minute polling period.

Also how do you know you get yours the second they are sent?

That’s great, now how does the device actually get the mail?

When an email is sent to you, from another user it traverses the internet until it gets to your email provider where it is stored in your mailbox and waits. The BlackBerry servers will periodically check that mailbox (provided you have added it to the device) for new messages.

The BIS itself will check for new messages every fifteen minutes by default. If it does find a new message, the message is compressed, and the first 2kb of data is then pushed to the device. For the next fifteen minutes, the BIS will check every three minutes for new mail. If no new mail is found within that second set of fifteen minutes, the server reverts to again checking once every fifteen minutes. As long as the server finds new mail within that time frame, it will continue to check every three minutes. This does not, however, apply to all email accounts. Gmail and Yahoo mail are two notable exceptions to this rule. The BIS remains constantly connected to these services, and will push new email automatically to the device, without the fifteen minute interval.
    From; http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/ho...l-work-152955/
    Last edited by Tyrrell117; 10-01-09 at 03:41 PM.
    10-01-09 03:27 PM
    There is plenty of 5.x device software out there. They may not be official, but they are still 5.x.
    Excuse me for not doing a quick edit on the email I received. Btw. Thx for pointing out something that ppl on CB already know. Now you can run off and tell corp. America 5.0 really does exist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 06:13 AM
    My own domain email used to be in the 15 minutes category trough pop3 set up, very frustrating, it all changed when I set it up trough imap, now it takes exactly 7 seconds every time for new emails to arrive.

Worth a try! I only discovered this after about a year of using that email address on blackberry

10-02-09 03:50 PM
    I have my internet carrier e-mail address on my phone, and I get the 15 minute polling period.

Also how do you know you get yours the second they are sent?

From; http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/ho...l-work-152955/
    that's an easy one----send yourself an email! how impossible does that sound?

gmail got it within seconds, yahoo maybe half a minute, pop3 any time up to 5 minutes or maybe longer depending on you carrier.

you might as well use funambol, even that's better than 15 minutes
    Last edited by racca; 10-02-09 at 05:15 PM.
    10-02-09 05:09 PM

It has always been TRUE push mail, it just that it's only instant for the right users. By 'right' I mean majority users who use yahoo hotmail gmail etc.

You chose to stick with pop3, that's your own decision. You have no one to blame. 15 minutes is a fine interval considering they have to pull the email and push to your device.

Unless you want to crash the mail servers, and you'll never get you mails again, is that what you want?
    10-02-09 05:24 PM
    It is instant push if you mail set to be IMAP and it becomes instant. With my gmail acount my emaill hit my BB more often than not before my computer imap gmail dings at me. It was really cool when I first got it working.

10-02-09 10:28 PM
    It is instant push if you mail set to be IMAP and it becomes instant. With my gmail acount my emaill hit my BB more often than not before my computer imap gmail dings at me. It was really cool when I first got it working.
    How do you get instant push with IMAP on Gmail? I have been able to get instant push when I don't use IMAP, but when I use IMAP it seems to be polled and sometimes emails take up to 10 - 15 minutes. It is definitely not instant, but it is worth it (IMHO) to get the emails on the web interface synced (i.e. read/not read) with messages on the blackberry.

Are you talking about IMAP not on Gmail (in your message you mention gmail so I guess I may have assumed incorrectly)?

Anyways, thanks for the input if you get a chance.
    10-02-09 11:28 PM
    Are you using Google Apps? Because, after I thought about it, I remembered my work email is through google apps and we get instant pushed IMAP. I was really hoping that 2.8 was going to bring instant push IMAP to regular Gmail.
    10-02-09 11:37 PM
    Gmail is instant and with the new Enhanced Gmail plug in is nearly imap too, I don't know why people's experiences vary so much.

10-03-09 01:33 AM
    So will we get an update or what? how will we know, or I know if i got the update?
    10-03-09 09:14 AM
    My personal is through G-mail. Get it almost instantaneous.

My work is through Groupwise, that too is almost instanteous.

I know this because just like it was suggested, I sat at the home and work terminals and sent my self an e-mail that arrived at both within seconds of hitting send.

My question is how to I get to the BIS server now when I get the pop up screen telling me to use the one provided by my carrier. I can't find a link on the Verizon site so if anybody has that one, please post it or send it to me.

Thanks
    10-03-09 09:34 AM

I get my emails on my phone before they hit Entourage on my Mac.... which is about 5 seconds after it's sent.... NO IDEA what 15 mins is all about.
    10-03-09 10:00 AM
    The 15 minutes only applies to some email providers. I get mine trough 1and1.co.uk
    Pop setup was 15 minutes imap setup stopped that and I now get them in seconds. What's so hard to understand?

10-03-09 10:29 AM
    The 15 minutes only applies to some email providers. I get mine trough 1and1.co.uk
    Pop setup was 15 minutes imap setup stopped that and I now get them in seconds. What's so hard to understand?

I use 1and1.com myself. can you please tell me where to set it up so I can get them quicker?
    10-03-09 01:56 PM
    You have to delete your account on your bis site and start again, if i remember right after you put your details in it will say that it cant set it and it will ask you for more details.
    Imap settings should be imap.1and1.com port 993 and tick ssl box, for outgoing and auth.smtp.1and1.com port 25 and again, tick tls box.
    Let me know how that works.
    10-03-09 02:07 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD