The BB Maps app is now working with GPS on my 8830. I am connected to 11 satellites currently. The only thing I have done lately is load the Bell Mobility 4.5 OS. I heard Verizon unlocked the GPS in the Storm to work with Google maps, so I upgraded my Google maps to 3.0.2. Google maps didn't work with the GPS but now BB Maps does.
    02-19-09 03:33 PM
    Right now the only thing that google maps 3.0.2 works with is the storm. I have a curve 8330 with vzw and the gps was enabled with bb maps after upgrading to 4.5. I was excited too, I just cannot wait for google to open up gps for the rest of the berries like us. Bb maps is great fully functional, but I still like the gmaps search better. No worries tho I'm sure it will not be too much longer for the rest of us. Or at least I hope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 04:06 PM
    So if they unlocked it for google maps on the storm did it get unlocked for other apps as well? i.e. Nav4all and 3rd party progs like that.

02-19-09 04:38 PM
    I had Google Maps 2.3.2 and it didn't work. Upgraded to 3.0.2 and still doesn't work So far only works with BB Maps. This is on a 8830, not a Storm.
    02-19-09 05:16 PM
    Correct google maps 3.0.2 on the 8830 OS 4.5.0.127 does not work with GPS.

02-19-09 06:43 PM
    M8830 is on version 4.5.0.127 with Verizon and my BB maps works excellent! I have 11 sats. All I did was upgrade to the new version and it worked.
    02-22-09 10:19 AM
    Guys, BBMaps has been working for weeks now on the 8830 (@ least for those that have been using beta versions of 4.5). The question is when will google and the other 3-party apps finally be open to the internal gps...

02-23-09 01:26 PM
    Well BB maps worked the other day for me, but it hasn't worked since. It just gets stuck in the "searching for satellites..." part and never finds any. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Scott
    02-24-09 08:04 PM
    Battery Pull
    02-25-09 07:04 AM
    You may have to select stop GPS and the start GPS in the BB Maps menu. When I first open the Maps it can't find any satellites. I stop and start the GPS and it finds them.
    02-25-09 10:06 AM
    Doesn't work for me. I tried what was suggested. It seemed to go wrong when I upgraded my operating system.
    03-01-09 07:41 PM
    guys! i cant seem to download bb maps properly Please help! i tried to do an ota didnt work and i tried to download it on my hp laptop and it says visit the mobile website which i did to no sucess
    03-02-09 07:26 AM
    I guess I'm a bit confused by this thread, unless something has changed recently. I purchased a BB Curve 8830 last week (Verizon Wireless), and both BB Maps as well as Google Maps work with the GPS (both will find my position easily).

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    03-09-09 01:11 PM
    I guess I'm a bit confused by this thread, unless something has changed recently. I purchased a BB Curve 8830 last week (Verizon Wireless), and both BB Maps as well as Google Maps work with the GPS (both will find my position easily).

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    First, the Curve and the 8830 are two different phones.

Second, and regardless whether you have a Curve or an 8830, on Verizon, only BB Maps seems to work with the internal gps, if you are using an OS that is higher than 4.5.0.33. It DEFINITELY works with 4.5.0.101, 4.5.0.127 and 4.5.0.135. I have read of it working with 4.5.0.77, and I got gps to work with 4.5.0.51, though it was verrrry slow to lock on the satellites. With the most recent OS versions, the satellite lock is MUCH quicker.

Google Maps, without gps, uses cell tower triangulation; that is, it will calculate your position by locating where you are relative to the nearest cell phone towers. This only gives you an approximation of your location. It might be accurate, but more likely than not it will tell you your position only within maybe 1800 meters. A true gps lock will tell you where you are within 3 meters.

If you have an external gps receiver, also known as a "puck" that you have paired via bluetooth, then you can use Google Maps and it will link with your external gps receiver and tell you where you are with remarkable accuracy - within 3 meters or so.

Drive around and compare where BB Maps places you with where Google Maps places you, relying solely on the internal gps. Then, I think, you will notice significant differences.
    03-09-09 01:30 PM
    guys! i cant seem to download bb maps properly Please help! i tried to do an ota didnt work and i tried to download it on my hp laptop and it says visit the mobile website which i did to no sucess
    Did you ever get BBMAps to load? You should be able to see it in App Loader.
    03-09-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD