Is it truly unlocked because I can never get a GPS signal lock with Google Maps. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 08:20 AM
    Verizon currently has the GPS locked on the 8330. It only works with BBMaps and VzNav.

It's unlocked on the Storm and possibly will be unlocked completely on the Curve sometime in the near future.
    05-31-09 08:42 AM
    From what I know Verizon locks their GPS same as Telus. I followed the forum here to unlock mine and now it works great.
    05-31-09 08:42 AM
    Mama's post is correct. I'm not aware of any procedure that can unlock the GPS on Verizon Curves. It has been exhaustively researched. See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/

Roo4x4: Please post a link to the procedure you used so I can check it out. Thanks.
    05-31-09 08:52 AM
    Mama's post is correct. I'm not aware of any procedure that can unlock the GPS on Verizon Curves. It has been exhaustively researched. See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/

Roo4x4: Please post a link to the procedure you used so I can check it out. Thanks.

The fix I used was more for Telus but the tread I attached shows all the others that used it to fix themselves up. the Verizon one does seem hit and miss but worth a try.

This is for the 8330. Your link was 8830.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/rea...v1-0-a-192999/
    Last edited by Roo4x4; 05-31-09 at 09:06 AM. Reason: link
    05-31-09 09:02 AM
    Please help me understand this, i have gps in my car so its a non issue for me. Why do so many people need gps on the phone, or how would you use it? are you walking around your neighborhood with your phone out? Trail hiking? bike riding? i mean, whats the big thing with using the phone gps? I'm sure there are gonna be the certain circumstances where someone travels a lot and wants to use the phone gps but, aren't those the people that subscribe to the monthly gps services. Please don't take offense to this response and feel that I'm flaming, i just want to understand.
    05-31-09 09:20 AM
    Please help me understand this, i have gps in my car so its a non issue for me. Why do so many people need gps on the phone, or how would you use it? are you walking around your neighborhood with your phone out? Trail hiking? bike riding? i mean, whats the big thing with using the phone gps? I'm sure there are gonna be the certain circumstances where someone travels a lot and wants to use the phone gps but, aren't those the people that subscribe to the monthly gps services. Please don't take offense to this response and feel that I'm flaming, i just want to understand.
    I have a couple of reasons.

The big one is that this phone is advertised as having GPS. I refuse to pay for something that should be there and Telus claims that there must be a problem with if it's not working. Quote from rep "Telus does not turn gps off, just try subscribing to our service and it should all be ok." I have it now and the phone is the way Rim released it.

Second....I do travel with other people in the city aby car aand bike and very often want to go to a certain resturant or business and the GPS combined with Poynt I can find the place and the way to get there.

Third....the phone is always with me and the GPS may be home or in the car.
    05-31-09 09:29 AM
    Well in my case big daddy, I don't have a GPS in my car such as a tom tom or what hav e you. I like the idea of simplified clutter and not having to have a GPS, satelite, phone, Mp3, etc all running same time. My phone is on a vent clip so it makes it most convienant to use.

05-31-09 09:29 AM
    Well in my case big daddy, I don't have a GPS in my car such as a tom tom or what hav e you. I like the idea of simplified clutter and not having to have a GPS, satelite, phone, Mp3, etc all running same time. My phone is on a vent clip so it makes it most convienant to use.

do you get a clear signal while inside the car? I mean if you are out and get a call to go somewhere do you need to pull over and get out of the car (clear line of sight) in order to acquire a satellite lock? Also, can you still use the phone while navigating? seeing that we are on CDMA and cannot do voice and data simultaneously.
    05-31-09 09:34 AM
    I've had GPS troubles but since my last upgrade when a signal is gotten it works fine. Again I have a vent clip so I'm guessing most of the "view" is through the windshield. You are right though, unless the map has already been cached, a phone call kills the maps updating. Def a drawback.

05-31-09 11:41 AM
    I was kind of assuming this but, I guess it is helpful for bikeriders and trailhikers. Thanks all for the info.

05-31-09 12:58 PM
    thanks for the guide, i will try it later tonight!
    05-31-09 02:24 PM
    It won't work.

Save yourself the time and aggravation.
    05-31-09 02:25 PM
    Also, phone GPSs have the most recent maps and, not to be underestimated, the most recent and useful points of interest, which always lag behind on stand alone GPSs unless you pay money to upgrade the POIs. With many companies, the cost of upgraded maps is high enough to make you contemplate buying a new stand alone altogether.

I have a Tom Tom but I also would like to have phone GPS, especially for the POIs.
    06-02-09 12:34 PM
    The phone POIs aren't always up to date either... but, yes, they are more likely to be more current than the standalone GPS units.
    06-02-09 02:38 PM
    did that ever work? i have 8330 on verizon and it has never worked exept bberry maps. I am not paying for vznavigator. I tried to unlock on first phone and maps did not download any more on bberry maps. just color full screen but no roads.
    06-02-09 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD