Android would have needed a major upgrade to reach the level of security and reliability needed for other applications. So BB chose to develope OS10 instead. An OS they have control of and can customize to their needs. Just like Apple, Google, Xerox, IBM and MS did. Should have Apple used DOS just because?

As for Android being crap, I have written code for 20 years starting with DOS, to Windows, to CE, LINUX and so on. I will say it's near the bottom of the food chain.
    The NSA made an ultra secure Android fork last year. If BBRY had done the same, it would have been a lot faster and cheaper than developing BB10.

And since it would be a fork, it WOULD be "their OS". Just like Amazon owns the Android fork that runs the Kindle.

As for Android being a dog, it sure isn't in the same league as iOS. But it's better than what you make it sound like, and wouldn't be a resource hog like BB10...
    08-14-13 05:57 AM
    It seems like Chen had a good plan. It could have put BBRY in a much better place than they are now.

Actually, if he had come up with this in 2011

(I wonder what Jim and Mike's reaction would have been. They weren't exactly very good at moving to where the pick was going, or to where the puck IS for that matter, but the idea of a business device might have appealed to them. What do you guys think?)

and it had been implemented back then, we would have had a BBX OS and device last year, instead of the delayed Z10. That might have made a big difference.

The advantages from a technical side would have been huge, especially as BB10 with its QNX kernel has turned out to be a massive resource hog.

* A secure, locked down Android fork would have been much faster to develop than BB10. Much wider availability of drivers would have made hardware development faster and cheaper.

* BBX would have started out as a relatively mature OS, instead of the 1.0 product were left with today.

* MUCH wider app availability. BBRY would instantly have access to hundreds of thousands if developers. And the apps would have been available without all the downsides of the current Android runtime in BB10.

* QNX with its micro kernel is a big part of the reason why BB10 is such a resource hog. It's an anchor around BB10s neck. (The low end Q5 needs TWO GIGABYTES of RAM?!? Seriously?!?)
    By using an Android fork, the BBX phones would have given a better performance with less RAM. A budget-midrange BBX business phone for developing markets could have been made available at a much more competitive price than the obscenely priced Q5.

The BBX plan could have been brilliant in 2011-2012, especially since the instant chat market was much more open then. If BBM would have been releases for Android and iOS, it could have been a game changer for BBRY. Especially since it would have happened before the mass exodus away from BBM/BBOS.

This is actually the first time Ive seen a long term survival plan for BBRY, that looks like it had a good chance of succeeding. Beyond the fantasy "Imagine if RIM had made a true iPhone competitor in 2008-9!" scenarios.
    08-14-13 06:26 AM
    This thread has become a great read.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    08-19-13 10:02 AM
    Honestly I think that BlackBerry should have bought both QNX and Palm. Use Palm and a developed WebOS as a short term consumer play while you are getting BB10 ready, BBOS for business, and then make a WebOS player in BB10 when it was ready and go to a single platform. Would have given them a lot more time to get Bb10 ready and would have put WebOS on better hardware and a chance at life.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 07:08 PM
54 123