Good Stuff

• Clean and solid hardware design
    • BlackBerry 10 is a promising new OS
    • Keyboard is surprisingly good

Bad Stuff

• Third-party apps leave much to be desired
    • New UI tricks don't always pay off
    • Battery life is a serious concern
    The review was also somewhat critical of the Hub, and some criticisms like the occasional absence of a back button, or the app simply not returning the user to the main list, if true, I felt are valid. However, these should be easily fixable, imo.
    01-30-13 02:31 PM
    He also claims that the battery lasted him 10-12 hours, which is what RIM reported, as well that's a pretty standard lifetime for LTE devices...
    01-30-13 03:06 PM
    It says a lot about the focus of the "review" that the writer rated what many users will probably consider to be an infrequently used and insignificant fluff feature as one of the highlights. Storymaker gets an A++ rating!
    01-30-13 05:35 PM
    It says a lot about the focus of the "review" that the writer rated what many users will probably consider to be an infrequently used and insignificant fluff feature as one of the highlights. Storymaker gets an A++ rating!
    Storymaker was a meh feature to me, next to the awesome Blackberry Remember!
    01-30-13 05:36 PM
    just took a look. what a JOKE.

Third-party apps leave much to be desired
    netflix, instgram..... MUCH to be desired????
    the major players are there.

New UI tricks don't always pay off
    please expand on your OPINION verge???
    how does it not pay off?
    no tactile feedback of a home button? miss that feeling???

Battery life is a serious concern
    its on par with other devices???
    donmateo likes this.
    01-30-13 05:45 PM

all the evidence i have read about points it as ever slightly below average.
    But i have no doubt that with software updates, it will be improved.

I look at the playbook as an example. that battery definitely lasts longer then it did on os 1
    01-30-13 05:48 PM
    Seems very fair to me. Basically what many other sites are saying
    01-30-13 06:21 PM
    Isn't 7 of 10 a good score? Any devices ever score higher? Just asking.
    01-30-13 06:26 PM
    I thought it was pretty fair.
    01-30-13 06:26 PM
    just took a look. what a JOKE.

I think he's complaining about
    Unfortunately, while testing the device I felt like it was really something like 69,000 really mediocre (or just plain bad) applications.
    and
    The Android apps I tested while using the Z10 performed abysmally on the phone. Sluggish, ugly, and disconnected from the core OS. In fact, because these apps are being run in a software emulation of Android — Gingerbread no less (that's version 2.3) — they bear little to no relationship to the rest of the operating system.
    Valid points by him, IMO.

If he isn't suggesting the phone should come with a higher mAh battery, then his bit about the battery life is ridiculous. And his ending to that section ("and perhaps worse") is totally uncalled for without evidence--an example of lazy journalism.

What do you guys make of his criticism about the Hub, though? I felt some of it was nitpicking, like the bits about multi-message deletion, and in-message deletion via menu.

For instance, if you want to delete a handful of messages, you must first long press on a single message (which brings up a contextual menu), then select the multiple message selection button (yes seriously), and then tap the other messages you'd like to work with.
    When I have to delete multiple emails on my Samsung GS3 (stock email app), I have to: 1. check mark each message to be deleted, and 2. delete the selected messages. If I understood his criticism correctly, it sounds like the order in BB10 is 1. long press on a message, which brings up the multi-select button, 2. check each additional message to be deleted (i.e. the first one you long press on is already presumably checked) and finally, 3. delete each message. So there is some extra work on BB10 (step 1--long press, and perhaps selecting the message you long pressed on, if long pressing didn't mark it for deletion already.) However, sometimes when I want to check mark a message to delete on my GS3, I end up clicking on the message and opening it--resulting in the extra work of backing out of that message and correctly checking it (the rest stay checked, thankfully.) It sounds like the BB10 way could potentially eliminate the chance of erroneous opening (assuming all you can do after step 1--long press is select messages or cancel out.)

Deleting messages also demands that you access a contextual menu
    I can only assume he means that there isn't a 'delete' symbol/button, and to delete messages, one has to do something like menu>delete. This is fine with me. I'd rather not hit 'delete' by accident and create more work for myself having to retrieve messages I didn't mean to delete.

But some criticism I felt was valid and needs to be addressed:

there's no way to move from one message to another without leaving the message you're in and tapping on a new message from your list.
    While I feel this is a matter of personal preference (I actually like the BB10 way he's describing for >1 reasons), I feel there should be an option to keep it the way it is or to move to the previous or next message, say with a flick. This definitely is an option in my GS3's stock email app (which I've set to the BB10 way .)

Additionally, the Hub doesn't always represent your overall lists of notifications or messages — when you hear an SMS notification and go to check it out, you're greeted with whatever you were doing last, which forces you to then hit a "back" button that appears in applications, or swipe over (a gesture that works in some places, but not in others) snip As I mentioned, a "back" button does appear sometimes, a crucial piece of navigation without which the phone would be impossible to navigate. Why isn't it always present?
    It can be pretty annoying having to back out of a previous message to get to a new one...if no BB10 equivalent to the 'scroll-to-the-top-by-pressing-T' shortcut exists. And even if there is a shortcut, it better be pretty intuitive or apparent. And what's up with the part in bold?
    johnny_larue likes this.
    01-30-13 11:18 PM
    Maybe like Engadget, they were pointed to BlackBerry World recommended apps to look at and those apps turned out pretty bad, like in this video:

"BlackBerry Z10 review" - Videos - Viddler

(6:30 in)
    nquyen likes this.
    01-30-13 11:47 PM
    Why no mention of BBM?
    01-30-13 11:49 PM