From the looks of it...with the street analysts reports and more...rim is getting serious about improving the BlackBerry's. Now there is rumor you will be able to download full os ota?

Vendor ID 501 Details, Full OS OTA Download? - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews
    11-15-09 05:59 PM
    i doubt it will allow FULL OS's OTA since they are usually over 100MB. but it would allow you to patch (3-10MB) to the current offerings.
    11-15-09 07:49 PM
    This is by no means a new thing, it's the reason you have the wireless upgrade option in your options menu.

For all intents and purposes, carriers have access to do this already as it's used a last resort method in trouble shooting users devices who are unable to update their OS...don't count on seeing it being a widespread thing any time soon.

The wireless update option is mainly used for BES devices and RIM views it as an inconv. for the common user to have their device essentially disable for 35-60 mins. Verizon does it, but it's not as widespread as most would think.
    11-15-09 08:04 PM
    i prefer a full blown OS install vs an update/patch. you wont see me ever doing a wireless update. that stuff is for clueless verizon people.
    11-15-09 08:13 PM
    I don't think any of you took the time to actually read the article. This is new, and its separate from the carriers. Its to bypass the carriers from taking so long to evaluate an OS before its release to the public.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 10:00 AM
    RIM is getting annoyed that carriers are taking so long to release OS updates. So this would be an option to update your OS the minute RIM releases it.

It does also state though that it may void your warranty with your provider but they would have to the option to revert back from vendor 501.

11-16-09 10:44 AM
    As far as I am concerned, I think the carrier should be out of the loop anyways. All they want to do is to rape your OS and rip out the free stuff that you should have access to anyways. Like BBMaps->Att Navigator.

How many times have we done an update to windows to be locked out with a message that "<Insert your PC Maker> has no updates available at this time."
    11-16-09 12:11 PM
    Ok this is BES focused, but rim is looking to offer it to the end users now. Also, I stand corrected. It will not be ota...only usb thru desktop manager. Essentially, all OS versions will become universal.

11-16-09 02:13 PM
    This will be a great move for those us that don't rely on our carriers for software updates anyways. This leads to another question, all these "leaked" os's, are they really leaked or were they testing the waters to see what kind of "group" they could amass for beta testing their OS's.
    11-16-09 02:29 PM

11-16-09 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD