I am considering getting either Blackberry Bold with AT&T or a Blackberry 8900 Curve with TMobile (yes I know the 8900 isn't G3). Either would have U.S. unlimited data plan.

My understanding is that with TMobile if I shut off the cellular connection while traveling overseas, I could 1) use the data services (web, email, etc.) via wifi and there would be no additional charges and 2) use voice services via wifi and have the cost for calls to the United States be charged against my plan minutes. If you disagree please let me know.

I am trying to understand whether similar things are true for AT&T. I believe that for data services it would be (i.e., I could get my email / search the web via wifi at no additional cost) but I've seen conflicting information. I also believe that AT&T does NOT support similar voice capability as TMobile.

Can someone confirm or deny my understanding of how the data and voice components for AT&T would work overseas via wifi and what charges in any there would be (beyond wifi access potentially)?

Thanks.

NYRob
    08-18-09 03:18 PM
    From what I have read and understand, you are correct. ATT does not have UMA which is what you would be using on Tmobile to make calls and have them charged against you minutes like a regular call in the states. Wait for the guru's to chime in though, I could have mis read something.

Julian
    08-18-09 04:26 PM
    Correct.

Both att and tmobile can retrieve email overseas via wifi

Tmobile 8900 is the one that supports UMA and will only work with tmobile service. That means even if u have att service and use a tmobile 8900 it won't work, same as Having a ATT 8900 and having TMobile service. It has to be branded by Tmobile and be used with Tmobile service for UMA to work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ace587; 08-19-09 at 12:54 AM.
    08-19-09 12:51 AM
    And any ideas about data? I asked in two AT&T stores and they said that without a AT&T international data plan it won't work. But I've seen people say that it will work with wifi and the cellular turned off (without charge). Anyone have personal experience (in Europe or elsewhere)?
    08-19-09 06:04 AM
    If you have WiFi you can get internet, and stuff, but just INTERNET DATA. Not DATA for MMS, or BBM.

IM+ with Skype will get you using your voice line, and your messengers (I THINK, I only tried IM+ everything didn't see skype >.>)
    08-19-09 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD