I'm trying to set up my blackberry bold to use wifi when possible. I've set up the connection and the wifi is on but I think when I'm browsing it's still using data from my phone plan.

I've been through the FAQ how to's on the site and when I change the browser to HotSpot Browser and save, when I go in and check it converts back to Internet Explorer.

What I really want is the default to be wifi and if not available then to use my data from my Telstra plan.

The other thing is I would like to be able to use it overseas using wifi and not Telstra's ridiculous costs for browsing, though I seem to have to turn my data off to stop emails coming through, does this mean I can't connect to wifi with my data disconnected?

I'm finding the wifi part most confusing. My last phone was a HTC Diamond which was a little more straight forward (mind you that was the only thing going for it)

I hope my questions aren't too confusing.

Thanks

Linda
    09-19-09 07:07 PM
    Is the WiFi logo on the top right highlighted or greyed out? If its greyed out that means it is not connected to WiFi so is using your data plan!

To automatically use the Wifi instead of the data plan, you need to go to Manage Connections>WiFi options>make sure Wifi selection mode is set to automatic! And you will always have to keep Wifi enabled so that when you're around an AP or any route it will pick it up automatically and connect (keep in mind that having Wifi on will drain your battery much quicker)

Hopefully this helps in some kind of way
    09-19-09 07:15 PM
    The wifi logo is highlighted and options are set to auto. So this definitely means it will be using the wifi connection (it's connected to home right now) If it's out of range of wifi does it then auto use the data plan? If so is there any way I can have it set so it only uses wifi and if out of range then no connection (thinking about when I'll be travelling o/s)

Thanks for your help.
    09-19-09 08:02 PM
    Ive been able to change my browser config to Hotspot - I had to do it through General properties.
    09-19-09 08:19 PM
    Is there a way to get it to automatically change from hotspot to 3G without having to change connections?
    09-20-09 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD