I have a quick question. I recently bought an unlocked BB 8320 and my service provider is TMobile. The previous phone I had was the 8120 Pearl and used to access the UMA WIFI. The 8320 I bought does not pick up the UMA the best I get is EDGE. Is there anyway to download software that will let me get to the UMA network? TMobile is telling me no but I am not a pessimist. The OS software version I am running is 4.5.0.124. If not, what about Skype or something similar to tap into WIFI to make calls.

Thanks for any help.
    06-05-09 12:39 PM
    Yes, it is a simple mater to create a T-Mobile profile for a UMA connection on any of the Wifi models.

Post #4 is where the information is presented.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/uma...apping-218920/
    06-05-09 12:46 PM
    Thank you. I looked at it and when I go to the Mobile Network under utilities I am not given an option for session manager and beyond. All I have is Mobile Network which is Tmoble and Network Selection Mode which is Automatic. If I hit the BB button I am given Copy, Diagnostic Test, My Preferred Network List, Switch App and Close.

I also looked on my 8120 which I got from Tmobile and it does not have it either.

Have I completely missed a step or something here?

Thanks again for the help.
    06-05-09 01:01 PM
    I bet the step you're missing is that you're not connected to WiFi. Go to Manage Connections icon, WiFi options and the setup a WiFi network or search for WiFi in your area. Once you get Wifi you'll automatically get UMA. My 8320 gets it fine.
    06-05-09 01:09 PM
    Thanks for the reply but that's not it. I am conectted to WIFI in my house right now and am on the EDGE network. When I did the file transfer from the 8120 it moved all the WIFI connections I have previously stored too. Any other suggestions?

I suppose I can contact THYTH directly. They are on T Mobile with the same model I have..

Thanks for any help.
    06-05-09 01:15 PM
    If your connected to wifi already all you should have to do is change to wifi prefered. Then it will use the uma instead of edge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 01:20 PM
    If your connected to wifi already all you should have to do is change to wifi prefered. Then it will use the uma instead of edge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yup, like he said.
    06-05-09 01:27 PM
    Yeah I already tried that but once I get into the Mobile Network options screen I only have Mobile Network and Network Sleection mode on the 8320. On the 8120 there is an option for conection preference but not on my new 8320. Othe thoughts? Thanks for the suggestions.
    06-05-09 01:34 PM
    When you go to manage connections your saying yours doesnt have this:
    Mobile network
    WiFi
    bluetooth
    services status
    setup wi-fi network
    setup bluetooth
    mobile network options
    wi-fi options
    bluetooth options
    06-05-09 02:05 PM
    No It does but I do not have the preferences available under the mobile network options.

I am looking for a way to access the UMA network on TMobile. So far I have not been able to get it. On my 8120 it does and it was automatic but since this phone is unlocked TMobile is telling me there is no way for me to have access to the UMA.

I am new to BlackBerry and don't know if an upgraded OS will let me access it or not. It is like the phone does not have the software in it or somethng but I thought all the 8320's came with the capabilty and it was just a matter if your provider had it available.
    06-05-09 02:13 PM
    Read this. I got it from post#5 in the link that Reed posted. Use any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile | BlackBerry Rocks!
    06-05-09 02:30 PM
    rlp that was good info. Thank you.

I think I figured out what is happening. I have talked to different people at TMobile. Some were helpful some were not. After a couple calls it looks like the Unlocked 8320 I have is not originally from TMobile so I guess the UMA software or cert or whatever it would be is not in the phone? If this is the cause which I am not sure of, does anyone knnow where I can get a download?

Or are ALL 8320's regardless of carrier suppose to have the UMA technology built in from the giddy up and I just have to figure out how to link it to TMobile?

Thanks again for any help. I am learning lots.
    06-05-09 06:07 PM
    You are on the right track. All 8320 are identical under the skin, the differences are in the software that supports them. T-Mobile provisions them, or you can do it manually.

The security certificates are available to download, but the simplest way is to email them from a seperate phone that already has them installed.

I am surprised you were not able to find the correct settings in the engineering screen, they were as described on mine.

Mobile Network Engineering Screen / Utilities / Session Manager. Menu / UMA Options, then create a new profile.
    06-05-09 06:18 PM
    Yeah once I get into the mobile Network screen these are not available
    "/ Utilities / Session Manager. Menu / UMA Options, then create a new profile."

I just have Mobile Network and network selection mode. The BB Button opens up Change Option, Dignostic Test (which it looks lke there is no software for that. My 8120 from Tmobile does not have it either) My Preferred Network List, Switch Application and Close.

I double checked under Status/About to make sure it is in fact and 8320 and not just in an 8320 shell. All the OS info says it is.

Even the box it came in off eBay is a BB factory looking box and says Geraetyp:BlackBerry 8320, Farb Display Service Version: Prosumer "BlackBerry" with the IMEI # and PIN Number on the whie sticker.

Made in Mexico Model :RBE41GW T-Modile D

I will email the certs to myself. I down loaded them to my desktop.

Weird that I dont have the options you are mentioning though. I will try to email the TMobile OS I downloaded too v. 4.5.0.81 I got off their site. The gal on the ophone said the phone was not recognizing from the software update screen on he desktop manager since there was not Tmobile software on the phone.

Maybe this will all let me see something different???

Thanks for all the help everyone has given so far. It is cool.
    06-05-09 06:50 PM
    Yeah once I get into the mobile Network screen these are not available
    "/ Utilities / Session Manager. Menu / UMA Options, then create a new profile."
    Because that isn't where you're supposed to go.

Activate your engineering screens via the instructions in the numerous links given in this thread.
    06-06-09 08:03 PM
    I do not believe that your version of software is compatible. The 8320 on T-Mo only goes up to 4.5.0.81. Make sure you have the correct software downloaded. It does not seem that WiFi is even an option on your phone.
    06-07-09 06:22 PM
    Tmo does support higher than 4.5.0.81 I currently run 4.5.0.124 and 4.5.0.153 on my other curves. No problems. The OP just needs to follow Reed and Thyth's advice.
    06-07-09 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD