Is it possible to use a phone with a different carrier? I am REALLY wanting a white BB and Verizon never seems to carry white. Is it possible to buy a white BB from another carrier and use it with Verizon? Or.....are there unbranded BB's that can be used on any network? If so, how does that work? Thanks.
    10-30-10 11:57 PM
    VZW, like most CDMA carriers, will not allow devices from other carriers to be used on their network. You must have a device branded to VZW to use it on VZW's network. There is no way around this if VZW is your carrier.
    10-31-10 12:01 AM
    If buying a hanset outright is an option for you, then searching online sellers with unlocked hansets may be the first port of call, then it's just a matter of connecting with the Telco of choice. Just be sure that their network will support your particular device! Otherwise their are websites that claim they can unlock any hanset from any network for a small fee by providing an unlock code. I've even seen threads with these people contacting bloggers and offering the same. I used "Unlock My Cellphone" (or it might have been "Unlock Your Cellphone") which worked for me.
    11-01-10 06:22 PM
    Sorry about my spelling - there should be a "D" in "hanset"!
    11-01-10 06:23 PM
    If buying a hanset outright is an option for you, then searching online sellers with unlocked hansets may be the first port of call, then it's just a matter of connecting with the Telco of choice. Just be sure that their network will support your particular device! Otherwise their are websites that claim they can unlock any hanset from any network for a small fee by providing an unlock code. I've even seen threads with these people contacting bloggers and offering the same. I used "Unlock My Cellphone" (or it might have been "Unlock Your Cellphone") which worked for me.
    This will not work with Verizon.
    11-01-10 06:26 PM
    Unlocking will work with most GSM carriers (like AT&T) as you can just put another carriers SIM card in the phone. VZW is CDMA and the phone has to be activated by them. You would have to ask VZW if they would activate another phone for you.
    11-01-10 06:28 PM
    This will not work with Verizon.
    No? Why so? I'm only speaking from my personal experience between Australian Telcos - not sure about the operations of those in your neck of the woods. Was worth a shot though.
    11-01-10 07:01 PM
    1. Verizon will NOT allow devices from other carriers to be activated on their network.

2. CDMA devices cannot be "unlocked".

3. Verizon is a CDMA network.
    11-01-10 08:38 PM
    1. Verizon will NOT allow devices from other carriers to be activated on their network.

2. CDMA devices cannot be "unlocked".

3. Verizon is a CDMA network.
    Preach it sister!
    11-01-10 08:39 PM
    The nice thing about AT&T is that I can take any (unlocked) phone with the GSM radio and use it! This will come in handy if I ever dive head first and try the TMobile G2.
    11-02-10 03:03 AM
    CDMA is not GSM, GSM is not CDMA. Simple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 05:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD