Sorry if ths has been posted before.

I'm going to France in October for 8 days and I was wondering if I put a French sim in my phone and signed up to its internet plan (I'm sure they have one on pay and go over there) will I be able to use the internet on my phone, I gather the push email and bbm will not work unless I use my normal sim? Is this correct? Or can I only use the internet with my exisiting sim which the phone is registered to?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-11 05:09 PM
    Sorry if ths has been posted before.

I'm going to France in October for 8 days and I was wondering if I put a French sim in my phone and signed up to its internet plan (I'm sure they have one on pay and go over there) will I be able to use the internet on my phone, I gather the push email and bbm will not work unless I use my normal sim? Is this correct? Or can I only use the internet with my exisiting sim which the phone is registered to?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Nice, your coming to visit Europe. Hahaha.
    It's possible to put a French sim card (assuming it has a data plan) in your phone and use it as if you're used to use it, BBM, mail, IM, whatever makes you happy.

This can be done with ALL sim cards with internet capabilities.
    04-26-11 05:26 PM
    I think you would have to have an unlocked phone, not that that is hard to accomplish for a few bucks
    04-26-11 05:28 PM
    My phone is unlocked.

I assumed I wouldn't be able to use bbm because my pin is registered to t-mobile.

04-26-11 05:33 PM
    My phone is unlocked.

I assumed I wouldn't be able to use bbm because my pin is registered to t-mobile.

Your carrier has not much to do with this, so you can use it. Trust me, I've been there, I've seen it.
    04-26-11 05:40 PM
    Your pin is part of the phone, so when you put the French SIM in it it "registers" to France Telecom (or whoever). The only thing you won't get is BIS mail -- THAT is registered to Tmobile, and won't work with the French SIM.
    04-26-11 05:42 PM
    Well the SIM card you have now should work abroad like my SIM card works in other countries (I live in the UK).
    04-27-11 09:27 AM
    The only thing you won't get is BIS mail -- THAT is registered to Tmobile, and won't work with the French SIM.
    Any way around that? Some extra step or additional unlocking procedure?

04-27-11 09:43 AM
    T-Mobile has the option to enable/disable, at will, the Blackberry International data plan. It is $19.99 p/month for unlimited data. This will allow you to use your TMO sim card.
    04-27-11 10:22 AM
    Just make sure your Blackberry is unlocked...
    04-27-11 11:08 AM
    Thanks for the great replies. I have found this thread quite useful. The one piece of information that I find missing and is of interest to me, is whether a blackberry can be configured to get emails and possibly bbm over wifi while using an international sim card with no data plan.

I have a BB Bold 9650 purchased from Sprint in the US and will be traveling to Europe where I plan to get a local sim card for phone calls only.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
    04-30-11 04:14 PM
    whether a blackberry can be configured to get emails and possibly bbm over wifi while using an international sim card with no data plan.
    No.

However, if you have a BIS Plan and confine your connection to Wifi Only, it can be used for Email and BBM anywhere.

If your carrier supports Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA), then you will have access to your full plan, Voice and Data, while in Wifi. It is carrier dependent too, Rogers for example does not allow International IP access.
    04-30-11 04:52 PM
    I used mine in France with Orange, you can buy the chip for about 10 euros. However, I don't think there is BIS pay as you go for any carrier... I might be wrong, though. If you connect with an APN, most of the apps are crippled. You can use the browser and other few apps. No IM apps, unless it's one that works with other connections like Nimbuzz or Im+. Gmail did work for me. No luck with maps either.
    04-30-11 05:11 PM
    Downloda logicmail app to your phone before you go and you'll be able to get your emails while in France, just not push email but very good imap.
    I use it as a backup or for. When I need to get some of my olders emails.

05-01-11 03:23 AM
    I don't know if it's different for the carriers... but I thought without a bb specific data plan you didn't get BBM... i know when a buddy of mine bought his torch he couldn't get his BBM to work. Turns out ATT didn't switch him over to a BB data plan from his Iphone data plan. After they swapped him over to BB plan BBM started working immediately. I'm in Japan right now. Verizon gave me the unlock code for my Storm 2 and I went to Domoco (only provider in Japan that supports BIS) and everything is working just peachy... Have no idea what I'm paying for this plan but I have my BB back. that's all I care about haha.
    05-01-11 05:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD