I am moving home to South Africa from NY next month and I would like to use my blackberry curve 8310 at home.
    I bought it with an at&t contract and I am wondering if its possible to unlock it and use it at home in SA with my prepaid sim card there.
    If yes, where would i get it unlocked?

Also does anyone know if it is possible to buy prepaid blackberry service from Vodacom using my original sim card and number?

I would appreciate any help with this as I am not very cellphone savvy.

Thanks
    01-04-10 12:44 PM
    If you are currently an At&t customer, you would get it unlocked from them, for free. Just explain that you will be traveling to Europe and SA and would like to use local SIM cards while there.
    01-04-10 01:58 PM
    I'm on a verizon contract with my blackberry storm and want to do the same, unlock and use prepaid vodacom sim card, plus prepaid vodacom bb 30 day data plans, while in south africa for 7 months... will my bb apps still work... specifically UberTwitter, WeatherBug, YouVersion(Bible), and YouTube?... Obviously the Verizon specific ones wont which is fine.
    01-05-10 12:10 AM
    I'm on a verizon contract with my blackberry storm and want to do the same, unlock and use prepaid vodacom sim card, plus prepaid vodacom bb 30 day data plans, while in south africa for 7 months... will my bb apps still work... specifically UberTwitter, WeatherBug, YouVersion(Bible), and YouTube?... Obviously the Verizon specific ones wont which is fine.
    you're using a CDMA BB and would not be able to use it with a vodacom prepaid sim.
    01-05-10 05:59 AM
    Will bbm work with a vodacom prepaid sim and prepaid bb data plan?
    01-05-10 03:32 PM
    you're using a CDMA BB and would not be able to use it with a vodacom prepaid sim.
    its a world phone with a sim card so yes it would sorry
    01-05-10 03:49 PM
    Remember that you cannot have your device PIN registered with more than one BIS at a time. So if you intend to use your BB with another carrier, you may need to release your device PIN first.
    01-05-10 03:54 PM
    thanks esahota!
    I totally called Verizon and did that today!
    01-05-10 11:58 PM
    its a world phone with a sim card so yes it would sorry
    of course it's a world phone,but it needs to be unlocked and one cannot use BIS on two carriers simultaneously; that's what i meant.
    01-06-10 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD