Does anyone know how to unlock a Blackberry Pearl 8130 from existing Alltel/Verizon service to work on the Movistar network in Venezuela?

I am going there and I want to unlock my phone to work on that carrier. Movistar has both CDMA and GSM, but the Pearl only comes with CDMA capabilities - does anyone know the Movistar MSI-S MDN MIN and SID or the code that I need to change for it to work on that network?

If not, does anyone know how to program the Blackberry Storm to work on that network? I also have a Storm but I would prefer to use the Pearl while over there.

Please get back to me ASAP! I appreciate any help!

07-02-09 11:05 AM
    The good news, CDMA devices are not carrier locked, that only applies to the GSM devices.

The bad news, it is up to the carrier to accept or reject any device they do not directly support.

Your carrier is the only reliable source of that information.
    07-02-09 11:12 AM
    So does anyone have the code to unlock the GSM portion of the Blackberry Storm so I can bring it with me over there in case the CDMA won't work that I can put in the GSM code and get that to work with the Movistar network?

Let me know. Thank you!
    07-02-09 11:15 AM
    Unlocking your GSM should solve the connection problem. Unlock codes are provided by your carrier or you can buy one from a third party if the carrier refuses your request.

Does Movistar does support BIS. I have just confirmed that by opening the BIS logon page, in Spanish.

BlackBerry Internet Service
    07-02-09 11:23 AM
    What is BIS? Sorry I don't know that much!!

Also on the sites that offer the "pay" codes, they ask for the IMEI number - where do I find that?

Thanks!
    07-02-09 11:36 AM
    BIS is short for BlackBerry Internet Service, and you can find your IMEI in two places, under your battery or go into "options" then "status" it will show your IMEI, as well as your HEX and PIN... hope this helps!!
    07-02-09 11:43 AM
    It did help, thank you! I wish I could use the Pearl, but I guess I won't be able to.

I mean, I can get there and call to activate it and see what they say, right? Is it likely when someone tries to do that that the company will add the MEID to their network? I mean you'd think they would just to get you to pay for the service!

Thanks
    07-02-09 12:00 PM
    There is a chance they will accept your Pearl, the only way to know for sure, is to ask them.

In North America, carriers almost give the BlackBerry away, on contract. They make their money from service, not selling hardware.
    07-02-09 12:02 PM
    The good news, CDMA devices are not carrier locked, that only applies to the GSM devices.

The bad news, it is up to the carrier to accept or reject any device they do not directly support.

Your carrier is the only reliable source of that information.
    Wait, I thought that CDMA devices were hardwired for their specific carrier so that I could not go online and buy something and then activate it on carrier (USCC) that lacks in the new BB department.

This can be done?
    07-02-09 12:07 PM
    Technically yes it can be done, but like reed stated it is up to the carrier whether or not they will accept the phone.
    The only way to know if they will accept it is to ask. The worst they can say is no
    07-02-09 12:09 PM
    I have just buyer grey piece blacberry pearl 8130 CDMA.my handset is not getting registers with my carrier Reliance India mobile.As per my carrier they informed me that to use handset change card HCC card but mobile supplier has already activated my mobile by clonning of sim card.

Can some one advice me?
    07-26-09 11:20 AM
    I used a nextel i2000 plus world phone and connected to movistar while i was in spain. I do not know if this information is helpful but that device was cdma and gsm. but it used cdma while i was there. this was year 2000. i would say get the pearl it should work on movistar.
    07-26-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD