There are a few threads about this, but no definite answer.

I've got the personal BlackBerry data plan on my AT&T service. If I wanted to pop my SIM card out and use it with another smartphone (Android, Windows Mobile, iPhone - lol, jk on the last one), would I be able to still use unlimited data? I read somewhere that you can get "data" (like through Apps and things) but can't browse the web because the BIS plan looks for the BlackBerry Browser. Can anybody confirm this?

On a related note - if I cancel my BlackBerry data plan, what happens to my att.blackberry.net e-mail account? Do they give me the option of forwarding it anywhere?
    04-30-10 01:11 PM
    My data plan includes Internet browsing through my carrier's network, not only through BIS, so I guess mine would work fine. But I'm not sure if yours is the same!
    04-30-10 02:08 PM
    In theory it will work because it still gives you Internet access.
    04-30-10 04:55 PM
    Hello guys, just ordered a used 8320 and still waiting to get it.

What about the other way around? I have a At&t Xenon (sucks) with unlimited data plan and texting. When I put my Sim in my blackberry will it work for the internet web browsing? Or will I have to contact At&t and get a special BB account?

Thanks for the replys, I have tried searching the forums and the net, and can't find the answer.
    04-30-10 06:56 PM
    Hello guys, just ordered a used 8320 and still waiting to get it.

What about the other way around? I have a At&t Xenon (sucks) with unlimited data plan and texting. When I put my Sim in my blackberry will it work for the internet web browsing? Or will I have to contact At&t and get a special BB account?

Thanks for the replys, I have tried searching the forums and the net, and can't find the answer.
    If u don't have a blackberry plan most features won't work on ur berry like BBM, Facebook, Twitter basically Apps developed by Blackberry and some other third party apps. But the browser will work on wifi and a few other apps. With the Blackberry plan it connects u to the Blackberry servers. Its the same idea as ur tv subscription. If u have a tv box without a subscription from your provider, it (Channels) simply won't work. So all in all u must have a Blackberry plan if u want to get the most out of ur berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 04-30-10 at 10:14 PM.
    04-30-10 10:11 PM
    My son had an HTC on AT&T and I put my SIM in it and it worked, at least well enough to access the web. I didnt try emailing.
    Last edited by pilsbury; 05-02-10 at 08:37 AM.
    05-01-10 12:10 AM
    The other way round can't work because you need a BB data plan to access RIM's servers through BIS and a basic data won't allow you do that.

05-01-10 01:28 AM
    There are a few threads about this, but no definite answer.

I've got the personal BlackBerry data plan on my AT&T service. If I wanted to pop my SIM card out and use it with another smartphone (Android, Windows Mobile, iPhone - lol, jk on the last one), would I be able to still use unlimited data? I read somewhere that you can get "data" (like through Apps and things) but can't browse the web because the BIS plan looks for the BlackBerry Browser. Can anybody confirm this?

On a related note - if I cancel my BlackBerry data plan, what happens to my att.blackberry.net e-mail account? Do they give me the option of forwarding it anywhere?
    You can use a BlackBerry BIS data plan on any phone but you cannot use any data plan on a BlackBerry.
    Savvy?

05-01-10 01:46 AM
    You can use a BlackBerry BIS data plan on any phone but you cannot use any data plan on a BlackBerry.
    Savvy?

Like Newman on Seinfield.

All first-class mail is certified, but not all certified mail is first-class.

Or something like that.
    05-01-10 07:47 AM
    Like Newman on Seinfield.

All first-class mail is certified, but not all certified mail is first-class.

Or something like that.
    LOL!!! Yeah, pretty much
    I've seen many folks on here who bounce between iPhone's and BlackBerry's using the setup I mentioned. I've personally used a dumb phone and an unlocked Android with my BIS data plan.

05-01-10 08:03 AM
    I switched back around Christmas from my Blackberry to an old iPhone(now I'm back). Everything worked for about a week then the data stopped working on the iPhone. I had to call and change to an iPhone data plan not a Blackberry one. If this is a permeant change then go ahead and call AT&T CS and get the change done. If not then switch back when ever you get the error. Now non BB phone to BB will require a call to CS to get everything set up right. No point in having a BB without having all the neat push notification goodies.
    05-01-10 08:14 AM
    If u don't have a blackberry plan most features won't work on ur berry like BBM, Facebook, Twitter basically Apps developed by Blackberry and some other third party apps. But the browser will work on wifi and a few other apps. With the Blackberry plan it connects u to the Blackberry servers. Its the same idea as ur tv subscription. If u have a tv box without a subscription from your provider, it (Channels) simply won't work. So all in all u must have a Blackberry plan if u want to get the most out of ur berry.

Thanks for the info. I figured as much, I was more just curious as to what to expect when I get the phone. I didn't realize how much different the BB are from other phones/smartphones. I sure hope i like it. Thanks again!
    05-01-10 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD