I have a Verizon BlackBerry Curve 3g (9330) and I'm wondering if I were to switch to another device like a iPhone or the htc Thunderbolt could I use my Curve's Wi-Fi capability and use it just for e-mail and maybe even bbm? I'm wondering because I'm considering switching to another device but I set up allot of accounts using my blackberry's blackberry.net e-mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 12:32 AM
    well known fact..........

you cannot use blackberry data services (BBM or push email) over wifi only. you need a valid working BIS account on the phone for it to work. if you drop your BB data plan for something else, you forever lose your blackberry.net email address.

if you wanted to manually check your email over wifi using the browser however, knock yourself out.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 08-20-11 at 01:55 AM.
    08-20-11 01:52 AM
    You wont have any access to Blackberry's push email or native apps(BBM, FB, etc..) You can use wifi on the browser for checking emails though.
    08-20-11 01:57 AM
    Alright, thanks guys. Ill keep this mind.

08-20-11 03:46 AM
    I believe you need to obtain a blackberry data plan for your blackberry in order to use only the email option. It sucks, I know.. However, sometimes you can try just conecting to wifi and try access your mail through your web browser.

Hope this helps! Have a great day!
    08-20-11 05:55 AM
    I believe you need to obtain a blackberry data plan for your blackberry in order to use only the email option. It sucks, I know.. However, sometimes you can try just conecting to wifi and try access your mail through your web browser.

US carriers dont have this option. they do in Canada though.
    08-20-11 03:23 PM
    US carriers dont have this option. they do in Canada though.
    What option? The @(carrier).blackberry.net email address?

This is wrong. I have (US) Verizon and I have both my gmail set up and a blackberry email address setup.
    08-20-11 11:22 PM
    no, in canada they have social data plans that are a reduced rate vs a regular blackberry data plan. they only include email, bbm and apps.....not web browser data.
    08-21-11 12:18 AM
    Oh...no we don't have this. I believe that carriers are forcing you to certain ($30+ ) data plans to make them more money.
    08-21-11 12:20 AM

I only use my [email protected] e-mail address though and I think I can only acess it through a active blackberry.

08-21-11 04:09 AM
    I only use my [email protected] e-mail address though and I think I can only acess it through a active blackberry.

thats correct. this is the reason why you arent supposed to use the email address for anything important should you need to use a different device.

if you switch from a BB data plan, you will lose the account.
    08-21-11 05:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD