Can I buy a blackberry off the internet or an individual and put my att sim card in it and use it without having to use a data plan. I like the blackberry but i dont need to surf. just use it for occassional text. A rep at att told me that if i use one to make a call or text that their network will know that its a bb and automatically assing a data plan to the account. I failed to tell him that my wife has had one for years and has never had a data plan on it. just uses it for texting. thanks
    06-11-10 08:31 PM
    Your wife is grandfathered as her plan was active prior to Sept 2009. You are
    creating a new account (after the policy change) so yes, you will be required
    to have a data plan, regardless of where you bought the phone.
    06-11-10 08:35 PM
    If you have ATT data is only $15 now.
    06-11-10 08:40 PM
    I actually had this happen to me yesterday. I
    turned my 9700 on for 5 seconds and already
    received an sms and email stating that a plan
    was added. I checked and the data plan was
    indeed there. The unlimited for $30 was
    added.

I'm not sure if it just has to do with devices in
    AT&T's system or if it is for all BlackBerry
    devices.
    06-11-10 10:42 PM
    You could try to get an additional sim card with your wife's account to get grandfathered in to the same plan she has.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-10 01:13 PM
    You can only have 1 active SIM on a service at a time. No such thing as being grandfathered into another persons service.......
    06-12-10 03:04 PM
    Can I buy a blackberry off the internet or an individual and put my att sim card in it and use it without having to use a data plan. I like the blackberry but i dont need to surf. just use it for occassional text. A rep at att told me that if i use one to make a call or text that their network will know that its a bb and automatically assing a data plan to the account. I failed to tell him that my wife has had one for years and has never had a data plan on it. just uses it for texting. thanks
    Hi there.

I have an 8100 that was on the Optus network here in Australia. I am now with Virgin Mobile Au and VMA do not support the BB . You cannot browse the web without a data plan of some sort.

However you if you can afford a data plan you can do the following... dl Opera Mini 4.2 (found Mini 5 too slow) to a PC and install via BBDM. You will need to change the APN - TCP. I'm still running OS 4.2.1.101 so this may be different to other OS. Home > BB Menu > Options > Advanced Options > TCP scroll to APN and change to your mobile carrier domain/access point > Save.

You won't have BBM, MMS or BB Browser or Push email

Did a search and found LogicMail - which can be configured for push.
    06-14-10 10:45 PM
    I actually had this happen to me yesterday. I
    turned my 9700 on for 5 seconds and already
    received an sms and email stating that a plan
    was added. I checked and the data plan was
    indeed there. The unlimited for $30 was
    added.

I'm not sure if it just has to do with devices in
    AT&T's system or if it is for all BlackBerry
    devices.
    When you actively connect to the network (call or text) it creates a CDR (Call Data Record). Your phones serial number (IMEI) is inlcuded in this CDR. The operator (AT&T) can read the first 8 digits of the IMEI (which is the TAC) to see the manufacturer and model of your phone. They can then cross-match your subscription to the phone type and if they see you have a "smartphone" but no data-plan, then they will give one to you as per their policy. This is all done in a matter of seconds by a simple automated script inside the network.

Read more about IMEI and TAC here, as well as check your phone in my IMEI/TAC database (it has a few thousand models, but is far from complete):

RadioRaiders IMEI and Type Allocation Codes (TAC)

06-15-10 02:26 AM
    These posts make me laugh, it's a bit like buying a car without the intention of putting fuel in it but each to their own

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 04:15 AM
    I know a number of people who have BlackBerrys with no data plan. The do not need or want email or internet. What they do want however is the full keyboard and big screen that the BlackBerry Curve and Bold model bring.

I use my spare BlackBerry this way in the US on an AT&T Go Phone pre-paid deal. I was never told to get a BlackBerry data plan with this though.
    06-15-10 04:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD