In this new awakening to the reality of climate change, impending extinction of many animals we take for granted it seems to me that the government and one of its arms related to environmental safety should regulate all electronics to have a user friendly removable battery(ies) for the sake of our earth (and our convenience )

In the new age of wireless charging and IP68 or higher protection I understand why this was done but I'm sure if we can send men to the moon and back we can solve this issue.

I hope they bring it back with the headphone jack BTW!!!
    Smokeaire and mikael11 like this.
    12-25-18 10:10 AM
    In this new awakening to the reality of climate change, impending extinction of many animals we take for granted it seems to me that the government and one of its arms related to environmental safety should regulate all electronics to have a user friendly removable battery(ies) for the sake of our earth (and our convenience )

In the new age of wireless charging and IP68 or higher protection I understand why this was done but I'm sure if we can send men to the moon and back we can solve this issue.

Does this mean you got me the genuine elephant leather wallet and genuine seal leather jacket?
    12-25-18 12:49 PM
    Does this mean you got me the genuine elephant leather wallet and genuine seal leather jacket?
    Yes cause they are biodegradable.
    12-25-18 12:50 PM

Actually user removable battery results in more waste. People tend to buy more batteries that way... and lots of knockoff batteries will be on sale on ebay.
    12-25-18 12:56 PM
    Actually user removable battery results in more waste. People tend to buy more batteries that way... and lots of knockoff batteries will be on sale on ebay.
    Actually I thought that you could keep your device longer and recycle the batteries. Guess there are two sides to your coin
    12-25-18 12:58 PM
    Actually I thought that you could keep your device longer and recycle the batteries. Guess there are two sides to your coin
    Well 99% of people change their devices every 2 to 3 years anyway... even if their batteries are still good. So we’ll just have a lot more batteries.
    12-25-18 02:40 PM
    Well 99% of people change their devices every 2 to 3 years anyway... even if their batteries are still good. So we’ll just have a lot more batteries.
    Actually may reports are now saying people are keeping their devices longer 3-4 years hence the slump in new phone sales. So I guess that's another flip to that side.
    12-25-18 02:42 PM
    Actually may reports are now saying people are keeping their devices longer 3-4 years hence the slump in new phone sales. So I guess that's another flip to that side.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...artphone-life/
    12-25-18 02:45 PM
    12-25-18 08:46 PM
    Haha well my mom has her iPhone 6S Plus for over 3 years now and it’s still going strong.
    12-26-18 07:41 AM
    Haha well my mom has her iPhone 6S Plus for over 3 years now and it’s still going strong.
    Yeah and if it wasn't for BlackBerry's EOL date and discontinued updates to the Passport that's where I'd be still.
    I have a feeling that is the KEY3 fails to me my standards then I will be keeping on with my Oneplus 3T for some time as well.
    12-26-18 07:55 AM
    User replaceable batteries will always need to be smaller or have more room in the device thereby making the device larger to match their built-in counterpart, as well as requiring more resources to manufacture. Achieving sealed ratings will also drive the cost of the device higher.
    12-26-18 02:37 PM

My view is if they would put larger batteries in some phone... this would be a moot point. Add a few millimeters to an iPhone or a Galaxy and make 5,000mAh the standard.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    12-26-18 04:02 PM
    My view is if they would put larger batteries in some phone... this would be a moot point. Add a few millimeters to an iPhone or a Galaxy and make 5,000mAh the standard.
    They're getting there. Asus, Xiaomi, Moto, Samsung currently have 5000mAh offerings, plus quite a few more with 4000+.
    12-26-18 04:42 PM
    I think they should make things more efficient and use smaller batteries instead!
    12-26-18 06:58 PM
    I think they should make things more efficient and use smaller batteries instead!
    No matter how efficient any system is, more power supply is always a good thing.
    12-26-18 07:25 PM
    No matter how efficient any system is, more power supply is always a good thing.
    Not always... you don’t put a 100 litres gas tank in a hybrid car. Just as you don’t put a 5000mAh battery in a phone that can get through the day with 1000
    The_Passporter likes this.
    12-26-18 07:30 PM
    Not always... you don’t put a 100 litres gas tank in a hybrid car. Just as you don’t put a 5000mAh battery in a phone that can get through the day with 1000
    Hence user replaceable batteries. Not only to use the phone in the longer-term but for never ending battery life on the go
    12-26-18 08:25 PM
    Of course you would. And so would any manufacturer. It's called improving on the previous model.
    12-26-18 08:27 PM
    Hence user replaceable batteries. Not only to use the phone in the longer-term but for never ending battery life on the go
    Bigger battery means less charging cycles.
    12-26-18 08:28 PM
    Bigger battery means less charging cycles.
    Two batteries means less charging cycles also.
    Or it could depend on user usage but that goes with said larger battery as well.
    12-26-18 08:29 PM
    Yeah and if it wasn't for BlackBerry's EOL date and discontinued updates to the Passport that's where I'd be still.
    I have a feeling that is the KEY3 fails to me my standards then I will be keeping on with my Oneplus 3T for some time as well.
    So if the Key3 doesnt have a removable battery.....?? That's if there will be a Key3 and if there is one keep on keeping your Oneplus because the Key 3 won't have a removable battery.
    12-26-18 09:29 PM
    So if the Key3 doesnt have a removable battery.....?? That's if there will be a Key3 and if there is one keep on keeping your Oneplus because the Key 3 won't have a removable battery.
    I don't know how you interpreted that a removable battery was a stipulation on my next phone. It would be nice for sure but not a deal breaker. There are some far more important issues I would like to see like a headphone jack, physical keyboard that is quality, LED notification light and a decent camera. I can forgive the camera if the others are done successfully.
    12-26-18 09:41 PM
    OK I guess here I did say the KEY3 would have to meet my standard but that was not specified. I said it after a reference to my Passport assuming that it would be equivalent to meeting my standard.
    I should be more clear I guess.
    12-26-18 09:51 PM
    Two batteries means less charging cycles also.
    Or it could depend on user usage but that goes with said larger battery as well.
    This is also true. My current device has the same size battery as my previous, but is non-removeable. I've lost the ability to swap batteries, but the gains are faster charging, wireless charging, more hours on a charge, and no dust or water entry. No more danger of cracking the battery door when opening it either, because that's not needed. Having used both style devices I can unequivocally state non-removeable has the advantage.
    john_v and The_Passporter like this.
    12-26-18 10:40 PM
58 123