So any new car these days has a built in computer, and anyone with the money for a blackberry can afford a hands-free auto device.

Every time I get in my car, I have to change my ringer profile to "car", and every time I leave I have to turn it back to "default".

Heres my beef: theres alot of noise in my car, and I cant hear my regular ringer over the sounds of the car and road, and music. So I've got a louder profile for it! But if I forget, I'll me sitting in my office and suddenly I get assaulted by the loudest ringer known to man, because some server decides to send me an email about some critical failure. Gives me a bloody heart attack.

So say its a typical monday. I'm cruising to my first appointment, and I forgot to change to the "car" profile- suddenly I miss an important SMS from my boss telling me to turn my *** around and book it to another client because the server is down. Why didn't he call? Well, he did. And left a voicemail. But I forgot to change the profile from "office" to "car", so I cant hear it....

Then say its a typical tuesday. Following mondays incident, I'm certain to set it to "car", but then I get to my first client, that happens to be a doctors office, (say, an audiology office, for a setting), and I forget to put my phone on normal, or quiet, or even silent (depending on how close to the doctors and their sensitive equipment I'm working that day), and then I get some unwanted email to the email I used to register to crackberry so I could post this- my phone flips out and I'm "that guy" who comes into a quiet doctor setting with a blaring phone.

So how come I cant just set my phone to "work" profile, and then let the phone decide when I'm in my car and when I'm not? It'd be so easy to rig up a hands-free device in my car to broadcast its bluetooth signal ONLY when the car is running, so the phone could change its own profile when its connected to that- and then automatically switch to a quiet profile when its not. Or even the default profile, which is still a tad annoying for a doctors office, but perfectly suitable for most other clients.

Can't find an app like that anywhere...

I'd also like one that can intelligently (as in, how I configure it) check and ignore phonecalls and text messages from certain numbers/names. I'm sure these exist, but I cant find one either.

What would also be useful is a "quick text" like my old moto used to have. I could program in a few useful messages that I'd send a few times a day/week, then go to send a text message to someone and just pick the quick text menu, and bam! all my saved quick texts all typed out for me. like "I'm running 10 minutes late", or "Could you please call me when you get a moment?" etc. Things that save me untold hours over the course of a month.

I've got more, but I need to get back to work. Hopefully I'll remember to come back here and update the list... Perhaps we can get a ruling on which of my ideas are viable, or have enough demand from other users?
    06-22-09 02:45 PM
    On a related theme, I was going to ask about a way (or app) to automatically change my sound profile during appointments. In almost all of my appointments, I I need my bb to be on silent, then I want it to turn on normal when the appt is over. I often forget one or the other and either have the phone ring during rehearsal ( a big no no) or miss calls because I left it on silent. The same thing happened with my old "dumb" phone but I was hoping the bb might have a solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD