Im planning on buying a used BB. But am confused as to whether I will be able to swap my SIM card in and use the phone. I understand it has to be unlocked or with the same carrier, but do I have to do anything special ( like calling my carrier ) to gain full access of the phone. I sold my 3GS so already have a data plan, and am good to go there...can anyone guide me in the right direction here. Thanks!
    04-02-10 11:00 AM
    You will need to make sure you have a BlackBerry data plan enabled on the account. After that you can just swap SIMs.
    04-02-10 11:10 AM
    You will need to make sure you have a BlackBerry data plan enabled on the account. After that you can just swap SIMs.
    Incorrect. After swapping SIMs, you'll also need to reprovision through BIS and change the PIN association with your BIS account. That is as long as the same carrier is kept for both Blackberries in question. (i.e. your moving one SIM from one carrier and using two different BBs on that same carrier/same BIS account.)
    04-02-10 11:13 AM
    Really!? That is disheartening...I have quite the amazing data plan/phone plan. Basically if I buy a used BB...I cant just pop in my SIM card from the same carrier and use the new phone...I have to change my plan? Even if the PIN is open, as it was once under another person. Sorry if Im not getting it...this would be my first BB...so Im a little clueless on the matter.
    04-02-10 11:25 AM
    BBs connect to RIM's servers for most of it's data. RIM charges for this so carriers have BlackBerry data plans which are often a little more than standard data plans.
    04-02-10 11:31 AM
    Anyway, yes if you'd like access to interwebz, email, apps, picture mail, etc you will need to have a data plan.

If you don't want to do anything other than call and text, you can slide your sim card right in.

As webdave said, you can not use your current data plan because with blackberry you are using RIM's servers.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 04-02-10 at 01:44 PM. Reason: content
    04-02-10 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD