Use a Wii Remote and other Gamepads with BlackBerry 10 - N4BB

This is awesome. A game-changer!!!

Multi-device, multiplayer support! Great games being released with more to come!
    02-22-13 10:44 AM
    Nice! Hopefully the emulators incorporate this.

Would be even better if they extended this to the Playbook. I would love to bring the PB and a gamepad on a flight to pass the time.
    02-22-13 12:07 PM

Would be even better if they extended this to the Playbook. I would love to bring the PB and a gamepad on a flight to pass the time.
    If and when BB10 comes to playbook, this would be amazing
    02-22-13 12:14 PM
    Time to ditch the game consoles.
    02-22-13 01:26 PM

Wish Nintendo and Sony would put out an official app/emulator and sell old school games like Mario 3 through app world.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    02-22-13 01:38 PM
    Wish Nintendo and Sony would put out an official app/emulator and sell old school games like Mario 3 through app world.
    On GitHub (owned by BlackBerry) emulators written in C/C++, which I believe means they can be made to work on BB10.
    Gameboy Emulator
    NES Emulator

There's even one already written for the PlayBook
    NES Emulator

But, like you said, you still have to get the games to play, legally.
    02-22-13 02:44 PM
    On GitHub (owned by BlackBerry) emulators written in C/C++, which I believe means they can be made to work on BB10.
    Gameboy Emulator
    NES Emulator

There's even one already written for the PlayBook
    NES Emulator

But, like you said, you still have to get the games to play, legally.
    I recall someone programming a game controller onto a torch and using it over bridge with the playbook, looked awesome. Can you get these emulators on without root?
    02-22-13 03:33 PM
    I can't find the old PB version, but the latest for BB10 is here:
    froggyface

The other option is to get the source from github, build it, turn on developer mode, and slide it on over.
    02-22-13 03:54 PM

Multi-device, multiplayer support! Great games being released with more to come!
    not sure are you being sarcastic or not when you said game changer because android can do that for a very long time and it didn't change anything.
    02-22-13 04:09 PM
    It's a game changer because it changes how you control your games...
    02-22-13 04:51 PM
    On GitHub (owned by BlackBerry)
    lolwut?
    02-22-13 05:22 PM
    lolwut?
    It's a common misconception. This can't be the first time you've run across this. There's no reason to get snarky.
    02-22-13 08:04 PM
    lolwut?
    Okay, I might have got that part confused, it was something I was looking at with the dozen companies RIM bought after they purchased QNX.
    02-22-13 08:09 PM
    It's a common misconception. This can't be the first time you've run across this. There's no reason to get snarky.
    Not trying to be snarky. I've never heard that before. I've used github for the past 4 or 5 years, figured I would have heard if RIM bought it.
    02-22-13 08:16 PM
    Time to ditch the game consoles.
    This is a game ender for low end consoles like the Wii.

Oh, this is not unique to Blackberry. I'm sure everyone knows that this stuff works on ANdroid also. Not sure about iPhone but i would guess it is.
    02-22-13 08:57 PM
    Yup, you can do it on iPhones too... But why do you think it's a game changer for low end consoles? I really don't see it making a difference...
    02-22-13 10:26 PM
    You could do this on Android for a "very long time"? Since version 4.2.1... WOW!! that's a really long time... lol and iPhones can't do sh*t! With this connectivity and HDMI, games like N.O.V.A. 3 played thru the Z10 will capture the dev's imagination... this is it Nation... prepare for what's coming next, I can't wait! BlackBerry Users Do More!
    02-22-13 11:40 PM
    Seriously tte404, read up on stuff if you want to sound even somewhat knowledgable.

Android had this since Android 2.3 so this is 2-3 years old at this point. In mobile terms it isn't just a very long time, its literally forever, lol!

Speaking of iPhones, here's a three year old video. (Yup, T H R E E years ago) that teaches youbhownto connect a wiimote with your iPhone.

And no one cares about HDMI connectivity. Why would you mess around with cables, when you can connect you phone or tablet to your TV wirelessly? This has also been available for awhile now on Android and iOS, as any developer worth anything would know.

As for gaming in the living room, you're right about mobile being the future for this, but Blackberry isn't a contender, and won't be for the foreseeable future. At least not until the capture some of their lost market share.

Why? Firstly the Z10 just doesn't have the hardware for it. The CPU and especially GPU in Apples A6X processors wipe the floor with it. While its fine for casual gaming, it's not powerful enough to push tolerable graphics to a HDTV, you'd need at least something like an ipad3 preferably ipad4.

What's more important than the hardware is the software though, and this is Blackberrys biggest problem. There are hardly any development tools or game engines for Blackberry, the developers are all primarily developing for iOS with Android as a distant second. Until Blackberry gains some marketshare back, you'll be lucky to get a BB10 port six months after the original release.
    mikeo007, richardat and Rello like this.
    02-23-13 12:18 AM
    read some of the replies in that video and what the video is talking about is NATIVE support, not some app or hack... As for wireless, BlackBerry 10 has a "Play On" button which searches for smart hardware... Ooooo futurey...
    The only thing the A6x is wiping is my A**.
    QNX Neutrino RTOS will be around for a long time because it's sustainable and the potential for the OS is unlimited... You're only as fast as your Mobile OS, sorry but Apple iOS sucks, it's time is done, get over it.
    Gameloft, Disney, Ravio, 11 bit studios and a host of other devs seemed to have figured out this mysterious game engine for BlackBerry, I'm sure that there are a couple Apple devs out there somewhere that could too... I'm happy with what I have, and I'll be proud to wait a year for something I want released for the Z10, I've waited 2+ years for BlackBerry 10, if anything, I'm patient.
    02-23-13 02:01 AM
    Seriously tte404, read up on stuff if you want to sound even somewhat knowledgable.

Android had this since Android 2.3 so this is 2-3 years old at this point. In mobile terms it isn't just a very long time, its literally forever, lol!

Speaking of iPhones, here's a three year old video. (Yup, T H R E E years ago) that teaches youbhownto connect a wiimote with your iPhone.

And no one cares about HDMI connectivity. Why would you mess around with cables, when you can connect you phone or tablet to your TV wirelessly? This has also been available for awhile now on Android and iOS, as any developer worth anything would know.

As for gaming in the living room, you're right about mobile being the future for this, but Blackberry isn't a contender, and won't be for the foreseeable future. At least not until the capture some of their lost market share.

Why? Firstly the Z10 just doesn't have the hardware for it. The CPU and especially GPU in Apples A6X processors wipe the floor with it. While its fine for casual gaming, it's not powerful enough to push tolerable graphics to a HDTV, you'd need at least something like an ipad3 preferably ipad4.

What's more important than the hardware is the software though, and this is Blackberrys biggest problem. There are hardly any development tools or game engines for Blackberry, the developers are all primarily developing for iOS with Android as a distant second. Until Blackberry gains some marketshare back, you'll be lucky to get a BB10 port six months after the original release.
    Thankfully to me, new games suck. I'll take the old stuff thank you very much.
    02-23-13 07:07 AM
    read some of the replies in that video and what the video is talking about is NATIVE support, not some app or hack... As for wireless, BlackBerry 10 has a "Play On" button which searches for smart hardware... Ooooo futurey...
    The only thing the A6x is wiping is my A**.
    QNX Neutrino RTOS will be around for a long time because it's sustainable and the potential for the OS is unlimited... You're only as fast as your Mobile OS, sorry but Apple iOS sucks, it's time is done, get over it.
    Gameloft, Disney, Ravio, 11 bit studios and a host of other devs seemed to have figured out this mysterious game engine for BlackBerry, I'm sure that there are a couple Apple devs out there somewhere that could too... I'm happy with what I have, and I'll be proud to wait a year for something I want released for the Z10, I've waited 2+ years for BlackBerry 10, if anything, I'm patient.
    Just because you don't follow up on tech news...it doesn't mean others are as ignorant.
    There are several controllers that offer native support. No need for 'hacks'. Several games have this feature already built in.
    TheVerge has a decent article on this

Controllers for your smartphone: testing the best gamepads for Android and iOS | The Verge

Read up
    richardat likes this.
    02-24-13 05:12 AM

This feature has been on Android devices for ages now.
    This is no gamechanger
    02-24-13 05:15 AM
    To all the people who way that it is a game changer, it has been around for other phones for a bit and it didn't change a thing. A phone will never take the place of a console.
    02-24-13 05:29 AM
    For the masses, phones will replace consoles, as well as a lot of other things like they already have. Its enevitable.

Hardcore gamers don't have to worry, you dont have to do hardcore gaming on your phones. The rest of us will.

Congrats to android, you're able to do it. One problem with android is the devices have been tweaked to do a lot of stuff but no one does it. The important thing that apple has managed to do is popularize things. Android is just a copy-cat. Sure it can be made to do different things, but only hardcore geeks do it. Once phone as a console gaming is popularized I see BB as a leader.
    02-24-13 02:59 PM
    Can 'droid or iOS connect to two devices at once? And this easily without a hack or jailbreak?

LOL at the person who says who cares about HDMI. Try telling that to the whole television industry. The things people come up with in attempts to not see how amazing BB is.

Its fine some people think its been done before and wont affect gaming consoles. For me I'm done paying 300-500 on a console then 60 bucks per game but to the gamers feel free to. No ones saying you cant buy a game console. Games on phones are only going to get better and I think there will be mobile games for phones and then games that are more for at home. Two different markets on one device, mobile games and console-type gaming no your phone (um, shadow gun).

I doubt it takes long to bring any game from another platform considering the UI is pretty much standard across platforms. We've seen examples of this with popcorny.
    02-24-13 03:16 PM
36 12