I'm curious, over the years I've noticed that I use less and less apps on any smartphone I use.
    Typically I use:

Evernote - daily
    Email - daily
    Text/SMS - daily
    Browser - hardly ever

With the above statics I've often asked myself is it worth me having and using a smartphone? Albeit, I always near a computer of sorts (I work in I.T.)

So with that, do you ever feel the same way?
    04-05-14 10:27 AM
    Man..smartphone for me is really helpful when I'm on the go. Don't feel disconnected from any thing. So smartphone is important to me and never questioned it's use

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 10:30 AM
    My smartphone has almost replaced my computer for the daily things I do: email, browse, twitter, FB, etc. I use my computer for Office and photo editing, and sometimes browsing.
    pystha and RJB55 like this.
    04-05-14 10:33 AM
    My smartphone has made my computer largely obsolete. In fact the only time I use my computer is for applications requiring a larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    pystha and bbq10l like this.
    04-05-14 11:11 AM
    I'm curious, over the years I've noticed that I use less and less apps on any smartphone I use.
    Typically I use:

Evernote - daily
    Email - daily
    Text/SMS - daily
    Browser - hardly ever

With the above statics I've often asked myself is it worth me having and using a smartphone? Albeit, I always near a computer of sorts (I work in I.T.)

I know what you mean. I'm trying out a Q10 right now. It is definitely getting me by for most things. I have a tablet that I carry a lot and of course a computer to get big chores done.

As far as some people saying they hardly ever use a computer now I personally disagree. I'm not using a tiny screen for everything nor does it have the computing power to do so.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    04-05-14 11:40 AM
    I don't even write my essays on laptops anymore... that's how bad it's got

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    04-05-14 02:16 PM
    I use my smartphone more than my computer. Between the smartphone and my laptop I'm all set. I use my phone for email, calendar, remember is huge for me, BBM, text, word, PowerPoint, excel, music in and out of the car ( BlackBerry gateway), movies sometimes, games, banking, listening to braves games all summer, crackberry app, listening to the radio, Webex meetings, navigation, and I'm sure other stuff as well. I use my Z10 more than my laptop buy I do still use my laptop a lot for work.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 02:28 PM
    The smartphone is my primary communication and calendar device. The computer still ranks higher for word processing chores. Together the team is strong.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    04-05-14 02:40 PM
    I use the phone for every possible thing... I only use the laptop for my music work and for sideloading apps and leaks on my phone that's probably it
    Other than that I use my Z10

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    04-05-14 02:48 PM
    Anyone else?
    04-07-14 04:43 AM
    Considering you use Evernote and email daily I say yes.

It all boils down to what you prefer and how much you're willing to spend.

Posted via CB10 on my beautiful Q10
    anon(153966) and clickitykeys like this.
    04-07-14 04:55 AM
    I would love to have a phone just for communication, but also capable of email. Not a smartphone, but something more simple with a long lasting battery. As yet, I've not found anything that would do. Its either smartphone or a basic calls and text model. There doesn't seem to be anything inbetween.
    04-07-14 05:11 AM
    I listen to podcasts in the car on a daily basis, so I need a solid podcast app on any phone I would consider owning. I also listen to audiobooks in the car.

I use the camera a fair amount. I use it not only for pictures to be saved and appreciated but also for temporary utilitarian shots. My neighbor was getting rid of a bed, so I snapped a picture to send to my daughter to see if she wanted it; that sort of thing.

I use the Calendar, Contacts, E-mail, and messaging all the time.

I use local search and navigation fairly often. It's amazing how dependent I've become on these things.

My use of the browser has increasingly become a cycle of finding things I want to read, saving them to Pocket, then reading them later, either on the laptop or on the phone. Pocket has really changed my browser use pattern. Apart from that, I mostly use the browser for quick lookups of information. I don't really "browse" so much on it.

I'll often read Kindle books on the phone over lunch.

I use the phone to listen to music in the evening, with headphones, while I read on the actual Kindle device.

I use the TunePal app to learn new Irish trad music on the tin whistle.

As I write all this out, I notice that I could do pretty much everything on this list just as well with my 9900 or even 9780, with the (important) exception of saving web pages to Pocket. And no TunePal on any BlackBerry.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-07-14 08:16 AM
    That's one of the reasons I dumped my Captain Kirk flip phone and went to a smart phone: It was cheaper than keeping internet at home with Time Warner who kept raising their rates monthly. I didn't do all that much surfing at home but what little I did do I can do on my phone. It replaced my home computer seeing as how I haven't had one at home in over 5 years.

Plus, I'm on a computer all day long. Last thing I want to do is come home and get on another computer.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-07-14 08:19 AM
    My smartphone is my main business tool for email and messaging, I also use it for my social apps like Facebook and Twitter. I rarely use my Macbook pro laptop anymore except when I do training presentations for my clients.

I still use my 27" iMac desktops for my desktop publishing and graphics arts, but rarely for email and social apps. My smartphone has pretty much replaced my PC's for for most of my social apps and messaging functions, how technology has changed things in the last five years still amazes me.
    04-07-14 08:37 AM
    For me, a smartphone is a no-brainer. In the early-mid 2000s I used the combination of a flip phone and either a Palm or Windows Mobile PDA. When smartphones started to become more mainstream 6-7 years ago, it only made sense for me to go with the one device that did it all.
    04-07-14 10:21 AM
    I counted 31 apps that I use daily or at least regularly. Only one is a game, Words With Friends. None can really be classified as "time wasters." A couple have website counterparts, but the apps are more convenient for mobile use.

I typically only use my computer to take my online classes (the program I use has a mobile platform but is pretty buggy) and to stream content that I can't access via Chromecast. My computers through the years have also become more mobile. In the past 6 years I've gone from a 17.3" laptop, to a 15.6" laptop, and now I have a new 11.6" touchscreen laptop. But just like Ginger mentioned, I too sit in front of a computer all day so the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer when I get home. I also talk on the phone all day, so I don't want to talk on the phone on my off hours. That leaves me with focusing on my hobbies using apps on my smartphone and tablet.
    ubizmo and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    04-07-14 10:53 AM
    While I don't enjoy typing on the Z10 much, it is not so bad after a few months of ownership. That said, I decided to back to using the Bold 9900 because it is just physically more convenient and comfortable for what I actually DO with "smartphone" on a daily basis.

Things I do:

- BBM chat and picture sharing.
    - Email and text messages.
    - Phone calls.
    - Text and Audio note taking.
    - Calculator.
    - Calendar.

That's it. I really wanted the Z10 because it has a way better Web browser and a larger screen, but after three months of use I found that I never actually used those things during the day! What I really needed was a faster, better PlayBook and that's pretty much how I am using the Z10 now.

As far as going back to using something like my Motorola KRZR flip phone, I could do the form factor for sure, but the lack of email and the poor picture quality would be too much of a downgrade. Some days I do wish for a new version of that phone with email, a good camera, and a higher resolution screen. I love that design - how it looks and how it feels!

Side note : the things I use a computer for I can't use a smartphone for, such as x86 software compiling, other developer stuff, and playing PC games (obviously).
    Last edited by Tatwi; 04-07-14 at 11:24 AM.
    04-07-14 11:13 AM
    I find my smartphones more convenient than a computer. I enjoy them.
    04-07-14 11:19 AM
    I forgot to mention that I use a news reader app on a daily basis. On my S4 it's gReader; on my Z10 it was gNewsreader. And I use Tapatalk for CB and other forums, except for the few that have to be visited via browser.

I play QuizUp on my S4, but it wouldn't break my heart to give that up. I play Words With Friends with one opponent, with whom I've been playing for almost two years now. But I could give that up too, and just play on a computer; we average about two moves per day.

I've made the point before: For me, a smartphone is a very convenient and useful luxury, but still a luxury. Not having one would have no negative effect on my productivity. It might even enhance it, by removing distractions. Living would be a bit less convenient, but my work wouldn't take much of a hit, if any.
    04-07-14 12:24 PM
    I prefer writing emails on my BlackBerry rather than on the computer. I wish my computer had some sort of the predictive keyboard as BB10 has.

Posted via CB10
    bunky1971 likes this.
    04-07-14 12:36 PM
    Typically I use:

Evernote - daily
    Email - daily
    Text/SMS - daily
    Browser - hardly ever

what thinking going back to flip phone?
    04-07-14 12:55 PM
    I use email, text, BBM and calls on my phone. Twitter and FB when I'm not home, occasionally....like a quick browse if waiting for a hospital appointment or whatever. Most of what I do is on the Playbook.

My ideal senario would be to have a Bold 9900 as the communication device, and the Z10 to mostly replace the Playbook. But that will involve starting up BIS again.....which I haven't got round to doing.
    04-07-14 01:12 PM
    I use a BlackBerry Bold 9650. If I get a Q10 or Q20, it will probably replace my laptop for most of my purposes. The only reason I go to my laptop now is because the browsing experience on my old school Bold is subpar (compared to the laptop). The Q10 browser would eliminate the need to go to the laptop for most of what I do. I would probably still keep a laptop and portable hard drive for heavy duty content creation, but I would be able to access the files on the go using BB10.

I think it's a fallacy that all smartphone use involves lots of apps. My use now includes email, messaging (BBM, Google Talk, YIM), PIM (calendar/memos/tasks), basic browsing,and sometimes BlackBerry Maps. Yea, and phone calls. Other than those basics, that's it. Apps? No, thanks. If I go to BB10, I'll enjoy BBM video calling, skype, a better browsing experience over LTE, and remote access to my computer files.
    04-07-14 01:39 PM
    I use the web browser enough that I need it.

Back when I first got a BlackBerry I actually looked at cell phones that just had email. Not smartphones. Wow they were horrible. Thus I bought a BlackBerry. To get good mobile email.

The browser is so good on BlackBerry 10 that I use it quite a lot. I could do without it. But would not want to.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    clickitykeys likes this.
    04-07-14 01:50 PM
71 123