I hope I'm at the right place to ask this, and please bear in mind that the smartest PDA-like device I ever got was (still is) the Palm T|X, which is not even a phone.

I have read about the BlackBerrys 9360 and 9900, which should arrive soon at my supplier. They all have RAM and on-board memory, plus an option for a media card.

My question is: what exactly are on-board memory and media card supposed to store? More specifically, I seem to understand that on-board memory stores applications which are then loaded in RAM when used. Can I store (with OS7) applications on the media card and have them loaded in RAM the same way?

Thank you for any explanation.
    10-21-11 11:13 AM
    You have essential 4 types of memory available. RAM, the memory that the OS and apps run in. ROM, the memory the OS and applications are stored in. On-Board storage, where you can keep files such as images, music and documents. SD cards, removable storage of images, music, documents, etc. You cannot on OS7 store apps in On-Board or SD storage and use them. You can store them to install in ROM. With QNX (BBX), you reportedly will be able to partition and use storage for this purpose.
    10-21-11 11:30 AM
    Thank you. It's something I had not realized, that the ROM would take the applications.

So if I compare the 9360 and the 9900 in terms of memory I have the following numbers (9360/9900):

RAM: 512MB/768MB
    ROM: 512MB/unknown
    OBM: 4GB/8GB

Plus the media card, up to 32GB. Is that right? Can someone give me the ROM size of the 9900?
    10-21-11 12:00 PM
    I'm darn near positive the ROM for the 9900/9930 is 512Mb. I don't believe the 9360 has any built-in storage, but could be wrong there. One advantage the 9360 has is the better auto-focus camera, but I'd take the 9900 in a heartbeat over the Curve.
    Th57 likes this.
    10-21-11 12:16 PM
    Apparently the 9360 sometimes comes with a 4GB card (according to the supplier). True or false I don't know. But no serious source mentions a 4GB on on-board memory so I guess you're right.
    10-21-11 07:04 PM
    The SD card will vary by carrier. Some don't offer one at all.
    10-22-11 10:10 AM
    I also believe some of the larger apps are stored on the 8 GB of onboard memory. For instance the roller coaster game whose name I forget has 1 or 2 mbs stored on the 512 mb of RAM but an additional 25 or 30 mbs is actually stored on the 8 gb of onboard memory. Its confusing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Th57 likes this.
    10-22-11 10:19 AM
    9360 has the same camera as bold 9900 ,no af that i know
    (correct me if i am wrong)
    10-22-11 10:20 AM
    Applications are stored on the device memory but some functions of applications can be stored on the SD card (ie files, preferences, backups, caches etc). For example, you can choose to store back up BBM contact lists/preferences on the SD card.
    Th57 likes this.
    10-22-11 11:03 AM
    So, RAM and ROM to respectively do the job and store OS and applications (total or part), OBM basically to do the same as ROM, and media card for media files (including data from application) and backups? 9900 has OBM, 9360 hasn't.

Am i getting closer?
    10-23-11 03:29 PM
    Some apps will cache to the SD or on-board memory, while others use the ROM to store it. Other apps like Laura mentioned give you the option of where a backup will be stored. We haven't even touched on apps like Fishloader, that can make an installer for stored files, or OTA Downloader that can store an OTA app for later installation.

Considering the size of current apps, and the size of ROM on most newer BlackBerries, it's not a concern unless you don't use some other form of storage for media, how many apps you have. The problem still lies in keeping running applications low, and shrinking parts of the OS that would consume RAM. How you use your phone has a lot to do with it. When I use my browser a lot, or certain heavy apps like NFL Mobile, I'll get a RAM low warning anyway. The number of BBM groups you have, and the level of their activity can eat RAM for breakfast too.
    10-23-11 03:48 PM
    Some apps will cache to the SD or on-board memory, while others use the ROM to store it. Other apps like Laura mentioned give you the option of where a backup will be stored. We haven't even touched on apps like Fishloader, that can make an installer for stored files, or OTA Downloader that can store an OTA app for later installation.

Considering the size of current apps, and the size of ROM on most newer BlackBerries, it's not a concern unless you don't use some other form of storage for media, how many apps you have. The problem still lies in keeping running applications low, and shrinking parts of the OS that would consume RAM. How you use your phone has a lot to do with it. When I use my browser a lot, or certain heavy apps like NFL Mobile, I'll get a RAM low warning anyway. The number of BBM groups you have, and the level of their activity can eat RAM for breakfast too.
    In summary now:

1. The use of ROM, OBM or SD depends on the app.
    2. If my choice has no OBM, it's best to invest in a SD unless my carrier provides one.
    3. I shouldn't worry too much about storage, more about how I use my phone.

OK. That sounds like very good advice. And the matters are a lot clearer now that I've come to the right place for help.

Hmm, 9900 or 9360... I guess eventually it will all come down to the feeling I get when I finally see them at my carrier's store...

I'll keep searching in the meantime. Thank you everyone!
    Last edited by Th57; 10-23-11 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Add the signature
    10-23-11 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD