I upgraded to the 9700 and want to give my kid the 9000 to use around the house to check email with WiFi. I am getting a greyed out WiFi icon in the upper right corner, but, show a connection to the network. I cannot access browser or gmail icon. Any ideas?
    12-10-09 02:35 PM
    I hope you got the smartphone Exclusion feature on your kid's line. If not, AT&T will send you text messaging saying, "You are using your smartphone without a data plan. After September 2009, all the customers are required to add data package." Long Strong short, they will bug you to call CUS care and add. In the end, they might just add it on your account.

Anyway, about your problems...
    You can access browser without AT&T data plan. Once you get error message on your BB bold. Press your Blackberry icon and type your internet address manually. You will be able to surf the web.
    As far as your email, well......
    Your email icon will not work, Period.
    12-10-09 02:49 PM
    I upgraded to the 9700 and want to give my kid the 9000 to use around the house to check email with WiFi. I am getting a greyed out WiFi icon in the upper right corner, but, show a connection to the network. I cannot access browser or gmail icon. Any ideas?
    i take it that its without a sim card?

if so try switching to the hotspot browser and see if that lets you get online.
    12-10-09 02:51 PM
    HCHO321 - This is an inactive device. I do not have any voice plan on it. You are correct. I can surf to a site. I don't get why the Gmail icon won't work though.
    12-10-09 04:26 PM
    HCHO321 - This is an inactive device. I do not have any voice plan on it. You are correct. I can surf to a site. I don't get why the Gmail icon won't work though.
    Because gmail app uses mobile network data, not wifi. You may use hotspot browser to login to your gmail acct, or use logicmail to pull emails from your gmail acct.
    12-10-09 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD