Now this is one technology movement I am excited about. The USB 3.0 Promoter Group has approved a new method of power delivery that provides for up to 100 watts over a USB cable -- enough to power your laptop, monitor and more.

Why am I exited about this?

Because I can imagine how much btter it would be, being able to charge my PB & future BB10 device. It may be a lil while B4 we see it, but the potential is there. Youíll probably also need new cables that will support this high-power delivery, but for a compact and truly universal charging solution, itíll be worth it.
    Last edited by bbpandy; 07-28-12 at 08:21 PM.
    07-28-12 08:19 PM
    I can see this raising huge compatibility problems trying to connect legacy equipment. If we accept the existing 5V supply remains unchanged the current handling has to increase from 0.5A to 20A. That is not a problem for the supply side of a new device, but it could raise safety issues for some lower rated equipment which will now need overcurrent protection instead of relying on the source's limitations. Finding that your cheap bluetooth earpiece just tried to put 20A into a failing battery could be an exciting experience
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    07-29-12 04:39 AM
    Finding that your cheap bluetooth earpiece just tried to put 20A into a failing battery could be an exciting experience
    Yes, but the NEW "phantom feeling" threads will be an endless source of amusement.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    07-29-12 08:11 AM
    I can see this raising huge compatibility problems trying to connect legacy equipment. If we accept the existing 5V supply remains unchanged the current handling has to increase from 0.5A to 20A. That is not a problem for the supply side of a new device, but it could raise safety issues for some lower rated equipment which will now need overcurrent protection instead of relying on the source's limitations. Finding that your cheap bluetooth earpiece just tried to put 20A into a failing battery could be an exciting experience
    Oh I don't doubt this will cause some BIG problems with people who don't know there's a difference.....aka most people. I suspect (atleast hope) that they have thought of this & there are mechanisms built in that prevent this from happening...
    07-29-12 01:01 PM
    I imagine they'll come out with a new connector that delivers the extra power on additional pins just like they did for USB 3.0.
    07-30-12 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD