All of a sudden, both the PC and Mac that I used stopped recognizing my 8320. I've made many back ups, done many OS updates without any problem, and now whenever I plug in the 8320 I get a 'device not recognized' message. My Mac doesn't recognize it, either. But my old 8707 connects just fine. It still charges, both from the wall and from the computer.

Sounds like the USB port has failed insofar as connecting to a computer, would you agree?
    03-05-09 06:37 PM
    All of a sudden, both the PC and Mac that I used stopped recognizing my 8320. I've made many back ups, done many OS updates without any problem, and now whenever I plug in the 8320 I get a 'device not recognized' message. My Mac doesn't recognize it, either. But my old 8707 connects just fine. It still charges, both from the wall and from the computer.

Sounds like the USB port has failed insofar as connecting to a computer, would you agree?
    Hello Matt. Then if both the PC & Mac are giving you the same error message, chances are the USB port on your phone is o good. You can have it looked at or call Asurion, if you have them, for a replacement.

Your PC & Mac recognizing your other phone is a good sign. At least you know neither of your computers are broken and the issue seems to be isolated to the one phone.
    03-05-09 06:48 PM
    Hello Matt. Then if both the PC & Mac are giving you the same error message, chances are the USB port on your phone is o good. You can have it looked at or call Asurion, if you have them, for a replacement.
    That's what I'm thinking. The fact that the 8707 registers just fine tells me that the cable is good, and the fact that results are the same on the PC and Mac suggests that it's not a computer problem.

Luckily, I pay for insurance with T-Mobile so I think they'll offer me a replacement. I doubt they'll let me have my choice of phones, though...

Btw, I've never used the 'Device Switch User': can that function off of a saved back up copy? I made one of my 8320 about 3 days ago and that would save me an awful lot of trouble if I were able to use that to transfer info over to the new BlackBerry it sounds like I'll be getting soon.
    Last edited by mattglobal; 03-05-09 at 06:53 PM.
    03-05-09 06:50 PM
    Device Switch will work just fine for transferring all data from an old device to a new device. Just use your most recent back up and you'll be fine!
    03-05-09 06:59 PM
    My USB just failed on my 8320. Don't do insurance, and even though I could have gotten a replacement, I decided to get it fixed by BBrepair (didn't want to switch PINS or move a ton of apps to a new device).

Should have it back tomorrow.
    03-05-09 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD