Precisely. I bet if one were to poll a large number of smartphone users (of all platforms) to see how many apps they have installed on their phones and how many of them they have used in the past month, it would be completely obvious that "apps" can be a buzzword (not in all cases of course) and it's "cool" to say I want more apps.
    I think both of you can attribute that to the fact that BlackBerry users are primarily concerned with productivity.

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator, and change has its enemies."
    03-30-14 09:18 PM
    Use Ghost Commander to turn them off then.

Posted via CB10 on a Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2234
    I installed Ghost Commander the other day...has made life with 1 mobile market much better!

Via my awesome Zed-10
    03-30-14 09:36 PM
    Personally speaking, if I had to answer the question... "Do you consider your Z10 cool?"....I'd say yes.

For what it's worth, Mr. Chen recently stated that he doesn't know how to make a cool phone. Wisely, he's hiring people who do. So, at least he knows this is important to actually sell phones.

I have nieces and a few older friends that will not buy a phone unless it matches their wardrobes. I always have to laugh. What else can I do? There is so much to consider while designing a smart phone these days. Unfortunately, it's not just good enough to have the best operating system etc..... If a company doesn't have or has lost their cool factor....they're not going to make it. Sad but true.

Powered by BlackBerry
    03-30-14 09:40 PM
    I completely agree I think BlackBerry seriously needs to license Google Services

Posted via CB10
    The problem is Google makes the rules when it comes to licensing their services so what can BlackBerry offer Google to entice them to license their services? Google is not going to just give their services to BlackBerry. I just can't see Google doing it for nothing less than a full conversion to Android like every other OEM.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 10:45 PM
    The problem is Google makes the rules when it comes to licensing their services so what can BlackBerry offer Google to entice them to license their services? Google is not going to just give their services to BlackBerry. I just can't see Google doing it for nothing less than a full conversion to Android like every other OEM.

Posted via CB10
    I think it is the other way around. BlackBerry has invested a great deal of time and money to create a store that provides protection from malware to their users. They have invested as much if not more in making it easy for vendors to bring their applications into that store. Why would they then turn around and throw all of that away by building in an alternative market that doesn't provide this level of protection?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 06:20 AM
    I think it is the other way around. BlackBerry has invested a great deal of time and money to create a store that provides protection from malware to their users. They have invested as much if not more in making it easy for vendors to bring their applications into that store. Why would they then turn around and throw all of that away by building in an alternative market that doesn't provide this level of protection?

Posted via CB10
    Simple... because the majority of app developers aren't flocking to BlackBerry to post their apps in the BlackBerry store. This is all supply and demand.

03-31-14 07:29 AM
    Simple... because the majority of app developers aren't flocking to BlackBerry to post their apps in the BlackBerry store. This is all supply and demand.

If the goal of the company is to compete selling phones that run Android applications I would agree with you, except that the way to do that is to sell a better Android phone.

If the goal is to provide a more secure mobile experience and allow the broadest cross-section of developers to easily offer their apps on that platform, which is the message I get from what BlackBerry is saying and doing, then it isn't only about supply and demand.

Even if 10.3 came with Google Play and Google Services baked in, why would someone buy a BlackBerry instead of an equivalent priced Android? For the keyboard so they can struggle with applications that don't run well one a 1:1 screen?

I don't know what the future holds, so I could be proven wrong, but I don't see BlackBerrys shipping with any Android market pre-installed in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:31 AM
    Even if 10.3 came with Google Play and Google Services baked in, why would someone buy a BlackBerry instead of an equivalent priced Android? For the keyboard so they can struggle with applications that don't run well one a 1:1 screen?

Posted via CB10
    1) Why do you have a BlackBerry? I have mine because it is the best device when it comes to communication and productivity. A couple of quick advantages that aren't often mentioned, ability to create groups in contacts, flash player working on the browser.

2) Don't forget the Z series that is not 1:1. The Android apps I have on my Q10 work fine with no struggle, but I imagine it is better on the Z phones.

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator, and change has its enemies."
    03-31-14 09:44 AM
    It's a shame that the writer was not aware of the android player. She would have had no problems running Netflix

STL-4. 10.2.1.2174 w/ 1259 clock
    I emailed the author and suggested using Apktrain to install Netflix (and set play to 'software' from default 'hardware'). Hope that method works...I used Snap to get Netflix installed but I've never used the apktrain.com site for it. Said it would take less than 2 minutes to get Netflix working (and any other app that doesn't required Google Play Services).
    03-31-14 10:46 AM
    I emailed the author and suggested using Apktrain to install Netflix (and set play to 'software' from default 'hardware'). Hope that method works...I used Snap to get Netflix installed but I've never used the apktrain.com site for it. Said it would take less than 2 minutes to get Netflix working (and any other app that doesn't required Google Play Services).
    ApkTrain apps aren't nearly as up to date as Snap. When CB first blogged about ApkTrain I went on it and tried downloading all of the ones I had installed from Snap and without fail it gave me an error that I already had a newer version on my phone.

03-31-14 01:59 PM
110 ... 345