There are also these app stores that can be installed directly on the device without having to sideload them:

USA TODAY TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?-img_20140329_015248.png

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:54 AM
    I'm sorry, but I don't get all the hoopla around SNAP. 1Mobile is much easier to use. Go to 1mobile.com on your BB browser and install app store.
    It not only has all the apps but the latest versions. The app store sends push notifications better than BBW. It's interface lets you delete the APKs after installation or push them to you r micro sd card. You can even set up an account on line and easily restore your aps after a wipe.
    You clearly never used Snap.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-29-14 02:08 AM
    The developers are already trying to that..(he way snap world looks... is great..
    Attachment 259218

Dookas
    Emma <3 lol
    03-29-14 02:38 AM
    Folks!!! Forget about Snap, unless you can download and install an app directly from the BlackBerry World, the average user which is 99% of the market is not going to have a clue what side loading is.

I think it's great we have the ability to run Android apps, but we still need to make the download and installation process the same as our competitors.

This is something that the folks in those offices in Waterloo need to be working on and should be a top priority. If it means getting a license from Google, then so be it. Just me two cents.

Send from my z30 on T Mobile USA (10.2.1.2160)
    03-29-14 03:10 AM
    Pretty objective review, in my opinion.

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    03-29-14 04:04 AM
    This is great to see. I'm a bit confused why more have not come out and done the same over the past five months? I don't mean in terms of putting BlackBerry on a pedestal, but just having an honest look at BB10 and stating it's not as bad as the press and nay sayers portray it to be.
    I don't really consider myself extremely smart, but I know enough that BB10 deserves more respect than it currently receives . I understand the negativity towards 2013's management moves. They deserve a book deal on how to ruin a company in no time flat. (They'd probably ruin the book launch though.) Imagine if BlackBerry didn't launch until 10.2.1 was ready and if they had paid for the top ten apps on the market. They could have avoided so much scrutiny. Even If BlackBerry 10 survives, it will take years to correct the negative perception that 2013 provided. Hopefully more articles like this can chip away at the unwarranted negativity when it comes to BB10 directly.

Powered by BlackBerry
    03-29-14 05:15 AM
    ---------------
    03-29-14 05:15 AM
    Gotta get out to the masses though, if BB10 is to survive.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    03-29-14 06:30 AM
    nice review, its a + that she may go with 2 phones where as before she was using IPhone alone. Its taken a while for BlackBerry to get where they are right now, and it will take a while to come back to a respectable position in the smartphone market. But her attitude shows it will come when people are given a chance to see that the new BlackBerry isn't the old BlackBerry.
    03-29-14 06:35 AM
    She must not know about Android app capability, someone let her know!! Then she'll drop the iPhone for good!

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 06:35 AM
    Respect for giving credit where credit is due. I also suspect that this was written prior to 10.2.1 being available for the writer (they are in the US), so the installing of. Apk's was likely not available.

Truth is, and I have said this since 10.0. If/when people truly give BB10 a chance it is difficult to not recognize the huge benefits it has over competing OS's. Outside of the apps (which granted is a huge obstacle to the average user) there is NO better OS.

CB10'n it via da Z
    03-29-14 06:58 AM
    Hmmm didn't mention the ability to add android apps, did he? Oh well.
    It's not an officially supported capability for users. I don't think that the press aimed at the general public should talk about it. They get the phone, can't figure out how to get apps from Google. They ask their carrier customer support, who probably don't know. Ask here and find out about sideloading snap and end up feeling "BlackBerry" has let them down again.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 08:01 AM
    I'm sorry, but I don't get all the hoopla around SNAP. 1Mobile is much easier to use. Go to 1mobile.com on your BB browser and install app store.
    It not only has all the apps but the latest versions. The app store sends push notifications better than BBW. It's interface lets you delete the APKs after installation or push them to you r micro sd card. You can even set up an account on line and easily restore your aps after a wipe.
    Agreed. 1 mobile is super easy and don't forget Amazon is also easier than Snap but you do need to setup an account.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 08:18 AM
    1 mobile market or mobogenie,. Are good for those who dnt know about snap...snap is best app world in blackberry... it has all those android apps.. snap is Google client pay.... like we have igran for instagram.....

Dookas
    03-29-14 09:13 AM
    Snap is the best one. 1mobile kept sending annoying notifications.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 09:19 AM
    For anyone with a bb10 phone running os10.2.1 and wants android apps there is no reason not to have them. 1 mobile market and apk train are easily installed without side loading, just go to the websites and install...simple.

My Z30 just keeps me moving.....
    03-29-14 09:20 AM
    At least the author admitted to the "cool factor" as a reason for sticking to an iPhone. Usually they pretend they are completely objective and their choice is based entirely on performance and/or ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 09:30 AM
    At least the author admitted to the "cool factor" as a reason for sticking to an iPhone. Usually they pretend they are completely objective and their choice is based entirely on performance and/or ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but just to add, she said "cool and tech savvy". lol. Had she not added the latter, it would have made more sense.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-29-14 09:41 AM
    Nice to see another 'positive' video blog...

but...is it odd that it took her until now to discover that 2 of her favourite three things about BB10 were there all along?
    1. Battery life, which not as much much OS related as it is shear capacity. (Z30)
    2. The BB10 keyboard
    3. The Hub

I mean come on Mrs Jolly, points 2 & 3 came out a year ago.
    03-29-14 09:56 AM
    The problem is that no Middle School, High School, or College aged kids are going to get a BlackBerry 10 phone without SnapChat, Instagram (iGrann might be enough though), Vine, and all the other hugely popular apps that kids are using. Snapchat alone would keep every kid I know away from BlackBerry.

The reason these are important is because these kids are potential future customers. BlackBerry is surviving because of the customers they drew years ago. The way to ensure future success is to establish a customer base of teens. This is not even remotely possible without the few apps that kids are using.

Posted via my Z10
    03-29-14 10:01 AM
    Snap downloads the apps better. They seem less laggy and the updates are there without a constant notification popping up. I tried 1 mobile amazon and apk train and snap beats them all in my opinion. Snap should come preloaded on bb10 phones. It's my understanding that the snap versions are more current as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 10:16 AM
    The problem is that no Middle School, High School, or College aged kids are going to get a BlackBerry 10 phone without SnapChat, Instagram (iGrann might be enough though), Vine, and all the other hugely popular apps that kids are using. Snapchat alone would keep every kid I know away from BlackBerry.

The reason these are important is because these kids are potential future customers. BlackBerry is surviving because of the customers they drew years ago. The way to ensure future success is to establish a customer base of teens. This is not even remotely possible without the few apps that kids are using.

Posted via my Z10
    Snap chat was the only thing my daughters just had to have on the z10 I gave them. The android version does work, but it is a pain. I put Snap2chat on for them and they like it better. It's a shame that snap chat wouldn't allow it. I don't use snapchat but Snap2chat seems to be a really good app.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 10:21 AM
    Ironically, most of the negative points were superficial:

Lack of sync: well if you have all Apple devices then yes you get a full sync with your iPhone. With Box, Dropbox, and OneCloud integration built into the file system, I'm able to use whatever cloud source works best for me, as opposed to whatever Apple says I need.

Lack of 'cool' factor: sounds pretty subjective. Get the Z30 in enough people's hands and wouldn't that seem cool?

And of course, the lack of apps, which I'll read as lack of official apps. The average user used to the handholding of iOS isn't going to just sideload app stores, and I wouldn't trust a lot of the third party Android stores other than Amazon and GoodeReader.

Still, any chance to hear good things about a BlackBerry device is a good thing, even though this review really is more lukewarm than anything: a sort of 'yeah, it's nice, but...' type of thing.
    03-29-14 10:22 AM
    USA TODAY TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?-img_20140329_112149.png

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    03-29-14 10:22 AM
    Same here in the Netherlands bashing a whole year and when they really testing the phone for some days it suddenly is a great phone for social media, quick and snappy, great keyboard. Why not a year earlier instead of beating down the smallest company and claiming they are dead before launch bb10.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 and ibpluto like this.
    03-29-14 10:29 AM
110 1234 ...