I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the positive words about the Z30 that came out of the mouth of this iPhone addict. Goes to show, if they give BB10 a chance even the brain-washed can be converted. The basis media and wireless carriers are the ring leaders.

TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?
    03-28-14 09:02 PM
    It was nice seeing the following review

TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?

Full text below

I'll be the first to admit that I've been a bit of a BlackBerry basher. The struggling smartphone, once at the epicenter of our nation's gadget addiction, feels like it's all but gone the way of the 8-track in recent years. While far from extinct, I can't remember the last time I saw someone walking down the street talking, texting, or taking a selfie on one. My few friends who still carry a BlackBerry primarily use them for work, while opting for an iPhone or Android as their personal phone.

So why are we still talking about it?

And yet � just when you think it's time to say goodbye to the good ole' CrackBerry for good, it seems by many cautiously optimistic accounts that the embattled company could be on a path to making a comeback.

On Friday, CEO John Chen, a noted turnaround artist, reported good news, by way of an earnings showing a fourth-quarter net loss of $423 million. While most of us have a hard time wrapping our heads around how Chen could be "pleased" with that result, industry and financial analysts expected it to be a lot worse. Chen said that BlackBerry's most recent financials are "on track and slightly ahead" of expectations, and re-asserted that BlackBerry will return to profitability and growth within little more than a year.

So what does all this mean for BlackBerry loyalists who swear by the devices flagship security and productivity features? While the company pivots back to its core strengths � securing mobile devices on the internal networks of corporate and government clients such as MasterCard, Daimler AG and Airbus Group � there's a new line of handsets on its way for die-hard keyboard lovers. While smartphones won't be the main focus, Chen said that BlackBerry plans to introduce high-end smartphones that cater to keyboard aficionados in the coming 18 months.

Is BlackBerry worth considering?

Recently, I gave BlackBerry's all-new Z30 smartphone a spin. I used it for three weeks, and it was a lot better than I expected it to be. Here are three things it did better than my iPhone 5s:

- It lasts a lot longer on a single charge: My iPhone usually poops out after about 8 hours, but the BlackBerry stays awake for some 25 hours.

- It's easier to type on: The built-in predictive text feature doesn't just finish the word you're typing, but it can predict the next word based on your past writing patterns. It saves time and tapping.

- It's a better organizer: The notification hub puts all your messages, notifications, and calls in one place. Its clean layout is easy on the eyes and perfect to glance at when you have just a few seconds.

But those bonuses also come with a few drawbacks that will keep me from switching to BlackBerry for the long haul:

- The lack of apps: I want Netflix, and I want it on my phone. To say the marketplace just isn't as robust as the competition, is a major understatement, and app lovers will suffer. If you've grown accustomed to the iOS, or even Android ecosystem, this feels like you're just going too far back.

- It's out-of-sync: iOS's ability to automatically populate photos, notifications, and messages across all my � and my family's � devices is something I just can't give up. Sure, there are apps that will do it for you, but taking that extra step is just too much of a pain.

- The "cool" factor: I want my main gadget to be an extension of my personality. BlackBerry says "business," when the phone I want to carry around also needs to denote "pleasure."

That feeling � that the Z30 is great, but simply can't replace my current smartphone � is just one part of BlackBerry's current predicament. For the past few years, the company has been a bit like a lost man in the desert, unsure of exactly what they need to do to improve its situation. But the BlackBerry platform still has value to millions of people. BBM, the built-in messaging service on all of the company's smartphones, is still a ridiculously popular application, and you can even download and use BBM on Android and iPhone.

For the moment, it seems like BlackBerry is making a positive step toward reinventing itself.

Using the Z30 has actually made me consider carrying two devices � one for work and one for play � and I think I finally understand what CrackBerry addicts have been praising all these years. I'm anxious to take the next model � reportedly called the Q20 and expected to hit store shelves around the holidays � out for a spin. For the first time in many years, I'm cheering for this underdog. We all like a good comeback story.
    03-28-14 09:03 PM
    03-28-14 09:07 PM
    It's a shame that the writer was not aware of the android player. She would have had no problems running Netflix

STL-4. 10.2.1.2174 w/ 1259 clock
    03-28-14 09:09 PM
    Nice to see :-)

Posted via awesome Z30 thru CB10
    03-28-14 09:09 PM
    Hmmm didn't mention the ability to add android apps, did he? Oh well.
    03-28-14 09:10 PM
    Wowwwwww!!!!
    03-28-14 09:11 PM
    Hmmm didn't mention the ability to add android apps, did he? Oh well.
    Probably don't know how.... to install SNAP
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-28-14 09:12 PM
    Go for snap.. u will forget every phone except blackberry 10

Dookas
    03-28-14 09:14 PM
    Super fun 2 what's app
    USA TODAY TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?-img_20140329_074450.png

Dookas
    03-28-14 09:15 PM
    Probably don't know how.... to install SNAP
    I agree, but most people won't know how to install SNAP. It is nice to see even without the apps she agree that it has its merits over the Iphone.
    03-28-14 09:15 PM
    The way blackberry turned around and design some great product with awsome operating system are going to beat everything in upcoming time.. but we have to believe in them.. if some one don't know about how to install snap.. gor for you tube... evry single step is defined over there...Z30 is most better then any other blackberry 10.. except qwerty pads..

Dookas
    03-28-14 09:20 PM
    I think Blackberry should consider partnering with one of the Android app stores and add it a Blackberry version of it into the phone. Amazon comes to mind but any would work for users like the reviewers
    03-28-14 09:21 PM
    The developers are already trying to that..(he way snap world looks... is great..
    USA TODAY TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?-img_20140329_075325.png
    USA TODAY TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?-img_20140329_075340.png
    USA TODAY TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?-img_20140329_075346.png
    USA TODAY TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?-img_20140329_075349.png

Dookas
    03-28-14 09:24 PM
    IMO BlackBerry's problem is that many people keep thinking about the old BlackBerry and even current BlackBerry owners seem to cling onto the the old devices since today's earning reports said there are more legacy OS users than there are BB10 users.

People have to actually use BB10 to understand what we BlackBerry owners like about it. The people I've shown BB10 to have been impressed with the OS.

The Z30 is a good phone which is why I'm excited about what BlackBerry has planned for the future to replace the Z30. I believe they are headed in the right direction, and I also believe the next flagship will be even better than the Z30.
    03-28-14 09:45 PM
    A pig must be flying somewhere.

The article was actually mostly pretty good! Same old story about the lack of apps. I've had Netflix on my phones for the past year (nearly), and I have yet to watch more than 5 minutes of Netflix on it.

Still good reading!

Posted via CB10 from my Z30.
    leehardballer12 and andy957 like this.
    03-28-14 09:49 PM
    This was actually a pleasant read. I figure it will always come down to apps with people who try BB10.

If BlackBerry just jigs a way to have Snap or a Snap like app pre-installed on the phones out of the box and let people get a tutorial of what it is, then the app situation is a step closer to being insignificant. Of course we still want native apps, but the APKs have worked well for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:53 PM
    Can someone please show Jennifer Jolly, the Emmy Award-winning consumer tech contributor and host of USA TODAY's digital video show TECH NOW, how to install Netflix on her Z30?

Posted by CB10 via Z30
    pmccartney likes this.
    03-28-14 10:10 PM
    Well if BlackBerry refuses to have developers put their apps straight into BBWorld. Then maybe a option would be to endorse one of the android app clients eg Snap, and have Snap pre-installed on the phone.
    TrueKulcha and Bbnivende like this.
    03-28-14 11:10 PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't get all the hoopla around SNAP. 1Mobile is much easier to use. Go to 1mobile.com on your BB browser and install app store.
    It not only has all the apps but the latest versions. The app store sends push notifications better than BBW. It's interface lets you delete the APKs after installation or push them to you r micro sd card. You can even set up an account on line and easily restore your aps after a wipe.
    03-28-14 11:33 PM
    Was she running pre 1055?

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2947
    03-28-14 11:36 PM
    Well if BlackBerry refuses to have developers put their apps straight into BBWorld.
    What?
    You think the apps are missing because BlackBerry refuses them?

Sent via Tapatalk
    03-28-14 11:41 PM
    Good read. Thanks for sharing!
    03-28-14 11:55 PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't get all the hoopla around SNAP. 1Mobile is much easier to use. Go to 1mobile.com on your BB browser and install app store.
    It not only has all the apps but the latest versions. The app store sends push notifications better than BBW. It's interface lets you delete the APKs after installation or push them to you r micro sd card. You can even set up an account on line and easily restore your aps after a wipe.
    SNAP allows you to log into your GooglePlay account. That means any apps you may have paid for will be available.
    03-29-14 12:24 AM
    BlackBerry need two sections within app world, and a deal with Amazon for use of their app store's content.
    03-29-14 12:53 AM
110 123 ...