Hi,

I am off to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks for one week and have purchased a plan from my carrier which includes unlimited texting, and 50 voice minutes. No data, as i will use wifi to reply to emails and BBM.

I would just like to know what my settings on my BlackBerry should be set at before travelling not to incur any charges with my carrier. So far i have data turned off while roaming. How do i receive and send email and BBM over wifi? Any settings i should be aware of?

Rob
    01-03-12 03:51 PM
    You need data to use BIS (BBM/Email).

You can unlock your Blackberry device and use a sim card from another GSM carrier.
    Sometimes using a prepaid local sim card with Blackberry data plan can be a good solution if you carrier is charging too much for the use of the device outside of your country.
    01-04-12 11:53 AM
    blackberry-unlocking710 is correct. You need BIS to use WIFI on OS 6/7
    01-04-12 12:00 PM
    email works on wifi, BBM does not.

In network settings turn Data when Roaming to off. this will keep you from incurring from any charges. I have done this on several international trips
    Last edited by QWKSNKE; 01-04-12 at 06:30 PM.
    01-04-12 06:26 PM
    email works on wifi, BBM does not.

In network settings turn Data when Roaming to off. this will keep you from incurring from any charges. I have done this on several international trips
    qwksnke, wondering about your experience and why we keep coming up with different answers :-) I use BBM all the time on WiFi, even with the radio turned off. I'm running Verizon Bold 9650/6.0.0.524. Wondering what you have that seems to return different results (sorry, on wap and can't see your device if you have it in your profile).

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    01-04-12 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD