.... but keeping BB's software, specifically BB's Good app, running on iOS and Android.

WEST: U.S. Navy Ditching BlackBerry for iPhones, Androids - USNI News

Authorized users have been swapping their Navy-issued BlackBerrys for iPhones at a good clip since SPAWAR announced the transition to Apple iOS and Android smartphones last year. �BlackBerrys are almost out of the Navy inventory,� Rear Adm. David H. Lewis, head of Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, told an audience Thursday on the second day of the West 2016 conference hosted by U.S. Naval Institute and AFCEA International. �We�ve just started expanding to Android devices.�

What gives the user NMCI access is the Good app. The secured mobile platform application developed by Good Technology, recently acquired by BlackBerry Limited, lets the user safely access and lock into the intranet. The app links users to their email, calendar, tasks and documents in NMCI, all housed inside a �container� secured with heavy encryption. The app automatically wipes the container if someone tries to crack into it and sends a report to NMCI management. �If you lose the phone, we can wipe the phone or wipe the container,� Brown said.
    02-19-16 09:50 AM
    BlackBerry will eventually going away
    02-19-16 10:09 AM
    Bummer, from the hardware point of view!
    02-19-16 10:18 AM
    It's really starting to seem like we may hear something soon about the entire hardware program at MWC. Either there will be an announcement or a glaring non-announcement of anything. Past experience shows that it will be a messy with company executives later saying that they had no idea it was going to happen and reading it in the press. This is especially true if the entire decision is in the hands of a strong CEO with lots of backing from the Board.
    02-19-16 10:30 AM
    That makes the Good acquisition eponymous, no?

At least they're still getting something out of it!
    02-19-16 10:31 AM
    They have to buy their Android phones from somewhere. How BBRY is not able to package the Priv into their Good client sales is mystifying, to say the least.
    02-19-16 10:42 AM
    They have to buy their Android phones from somewhere. How BBRY is not able to package the Priv into their Good client sales is mystifying, to say the least.
    So, as you are closing deal on selling Good, you say "And the best part is that you will be switching all of your hardware to the best Android phone out there - the Priv. How many should I put you down for?"
    jas1978 likes this.
    02-19-16 10:45 AM
    Priv, the best android???
    Not for me
    1khalid likes this.
    02-19-16 11:11 AM
    So, as you are closing deal on selling Good, you say "And the best part is that you will be switching all of your hardware to the best Android phone out there - the Priv. How many should I put you down for?"
    The Admiral said they "just started expanding to Android devices". The correct response is ... "Great, Sir! We can supply you with X amount of handsets, all protected with Good and our industry-leading yadda yadda yadda ..."
    02-19-16 11:36 AM
    The Admiral said they "just started expanding to Android devices". The correct response is ... "Great, Sir! We can supply you with X amount of handsets, all protected with Good and our industry-leading yadda yadda yadda ..."
    As if there isn't a Samsung and Motorola rep right behind you with a catalog of compatible and proven industry-leading handsets to choose from.
    02-19-16 12:15 PM
    That makes the Good acquisition eponymous, no?

At least they're still getting something out of it!
    I think you mean fortuitous.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-19-16 12:23 PM
    It's really starting to seem like we may hear something soon about the entire hardware program at MWC. Either there will be an announcement or a glaring non-announcement of anything. Past experience shows that it will be a messy with company executives later saying that they had no idea it was going to happen and reading it in the press. This is especially true if the entire decision is in the hands of a strong CEO with lots of backing from the Board.
    I think a non-announcement is more likely.

Just as it would be incredibly bad PR for Chen to stand-up and say: "BlackBerry is done with BB10. There will be no further BB10 handsets. BB10 support will end in 2017"... Chen formally announcing BB's exit from Hardware (and the effective abandonment of the Priv) would only result in horrible press for BB... and kill any remaining sales prospects deader 'n dead.

So, Chen won't do that.

Instead he will announce at MWC that the Vienna is planned to be released "later in the year" (but give no specific timescale), and announce that Marshmallow will come "soon" (which I reckon it probably will because Google are doing most of the heavy-lifting on Marshmallow).

On 1st April, I fully expect the ER to reveal that Priv sales have been dreadful. Not within a country mile of achieving their 5M/year break-even figure. But, they'll be no announcement on the future of Hardware after the ER either. Nothing.

Time will pass... eventually the penny will drop that BB hasn't released any new phone in 2016... and it will be realised that BB is out of the (Android and BB10) phone business. But they'll be no announcement... ever!
    02-19-16 01:55 PM
    ^ that sounds about right.

The only problem is the noise the layoffs make... otherwise they really would likely just sneak out...

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 04:22 PM
    Unfortunately for BlackBerry, most everyone wants an all touch phone that is just an all touch phone.

I would love to see BlackBerry sell two versions of the Vienna one with BB10 (no runtime ) and the other Android.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-19-16 at 05:38 PM.
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    02-19-16 04:43 PM
    The Admiral said they "just started expanding to Android devices".
    But his Commander-in-Chief, Obama, and his possible replacement, Clinton, use BlackBerry.

BB, Still the One
    02-21-16 07:40 AM
    There were a lot of very public announcements concerning the future of the Playbook, but the "By the way, this is the last update the Playbook will ever receive" announcement was basically snuck out the door with no fanfare. I expect the same thing with BB10.
    02-21-16 08:33 AM
    But his Commander-in-Chief, Obama, and his possible replacement, Clinton, use BlackBerry a custom-made secure phone in a modified Blackberry shell.
    Fixed.
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    02-22-16 05:17 PM
    Notice, though, it is not an iPhone "shell"- -wonder why?

BB, Still the One
    02-22-16 09:06 PM
    Notice, though, it is not an iPhone "shell"- -wonder why?

BB, Still the One
    Give it some time.
    02-23-16 06:53 AM
    Why is everyone surprised by stories like this?

BLACKBERRY HANDSETS ARE DONE.

GET OVER IT AND STOP WHINING ABOUT IT.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 07:40 AM
    Why is everyone surprised by stories like this?

BLACKBERRY HANDSETS ARE DONE.

GET OVER IT AND STOP WHINING ABOUT IT.

Posted via CB10
    I'm over it... and I'm prepared to be the last man on earth rockin' a BB10 device!

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    jope28, gugomat and TCB on Z10 like this.
    02-23-16 08:54 AM
    Last man standing rocking a BlackBerry Passport sounds cool to me.

Posted via CB10
    jope28, gugomat and TCB on Z10 like this.
    02-23-16 09:08 AM
    Last man standing rocking a BlackBerry Passport sounds cool to me.

Posted via CB10
    I'm in. Challenge accepted!
    Place your bets.
    My Passport should survive for quite a while lol

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    gugomat and TCB on Z10 like this.
    02-23-16 09:53 AM
    My Passport should survive for quite a while
    not a chance when this comes out: HP Elite x3 - Full specs of the ultra-powerful Windows Phone | Windows Central
    02-23-16 10:50 AM
    Something along those lines is where I'd go when the Passport dies in a couple of years lol
    That looks like a great device and I like the idea behind Continuum and the Extender would be awesome if/when Blend isn't an option on BB10 eventually in a few years. Takes things to another level :-p

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    02-23-16 12:02 PM
31 12