But will it last?

RIM PlayBook
    06-27-11 12:05 PM
    actually the PB doesnt run thru RIMs servers at all. RIMs phones do. So if they are bridged and using those apps then technically they would be using the secure servers. Otherwise if its just a wifi connection they arent anymore secure than any other device.
    kbz1960 and K Bear like this.
    06-27-11 12:56 PM
    actually the PB doesnt run thru RIMs servers at all. RIMs phones do. So if they are bridged and using those apps then technically they would be using the secure servers. Otherwise if its just a wifi connection they arent anymore secure than any other device.
    They might be anticipating the 3G tablets.
    Pirks likes this.
    06-27-11 01:05 PM
    They might be anticipating the 3G tablets.
    that was a thought i had too, like they know something we dont and might have access to them already
    06-27-11 01:14 PM
    Don't forget support for DoD Root Certificates for accessing secure military websites. I see that the PB lets you import certificates so it looks like military likes the PB because they already have experience with RIM's encryption.
    anon(3749235) likes this.
    06-27-11 01:49 PM
    I would not be one bit suprised if Blackberry gets a nice fat government contract in the not too distant future for a mess of Playbooks.
    06-27-11 01:57 PM
    The article also mentions CAC cards and the ability to read them. CAC card is a smart card. RIM has a Blackberry Smartcard Reader in NIST now and it just moved to the "Coordination" phase, sitting where the Blackberry tablet Crypto Kernel is. The Wifi playbooks could connect to RIM servers just like the phones can with WiFi when Cell radios aren't in service. I would bet that the Army is getting versions of software for the Playbook that has the ability to talk to the BES right away so that RIM will be in this tablet pilot. I think the rest of the world will get this when it is through FIPS. If they get in with the Military, then probably a lot of other agencies will follow suit for interoperability and to leverage that testing, and RIM will sell a lot of Playbooks and a developer base will build up quick.
    bquinney and blackberry-pimp like this.
    06-27-11 02:01 PM
    RIM has a Blackberry Smartcard Reader in NIST now and it just moved to the "Coordination" phase, sitting where the Blackberry tablet Crypto Kernel is.
    What does NIST stand for? Thanks.
    06-27-11 02:41 PM
    What does NIST stand for? Thanks.
    National Institute of Standards and Technology. NIST.gov - Computer Security Division - Computer Security Resource Center

They are the ones who certify crypto for the Federal Information Processing Standars (FIPS) 140-2 standard. Basically to use any crypto for any unclassified federal networks that crypto is supposed to be FIPS 140-2 compliant. Classified uses proprietary gear.
    Last edited by lnichols; 06-27-11 at 02:58 PM.
    06-27-11 02:54 PM
    this is a big reason RIM chose QNX, they already have a foothold in with tons of stuff outside of tablets and cell phones, such as running crafts going into space... if the sky is falling it will be cause something QNX runs for the military brought it down haha
    06-27-11 03:09 PM
    A fairly large retailer here in Canada has authorized its service working to use playbooks instead of carrying around repair manuals.

They were given 100,000 to spend on the playbooks. I got excited till it did the math and figured out that's only 500 units lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 07:03 PM
    The US government is very dependent on QNX technology>>>A segment of this would be the US military...NASA ...Infrastructure etc

QNX capable communications devices and mobile computing tablets will be very well adopted by the US military. Tablet OS has a security level of (EAP) 4+ , which will allow very high level adoption....To what extent remains many variables.

QNX is the only commercially available OS that is of true universal reach and can penetrate all markets on earth with full autonomy...No competitor even comes close.

Tablet OS is running a scaled down version of QNX. Be sure to see many core functions of Tablet OS to receive a scaling up of more advanced QNX functioning as the platform matures....

Examples of advanced functioning of Blackberry Playbook with the US military could be DMP>>>Distributed multi processing.....allowing the Playbook to interact with military infrastructure ,War machines etc already supported by QNX...which will leverage an abundance of potential and become a very valuable asset in terms of such examples as ,remote interactions, communications, diagnostics and logistics etc.....

QNX supports a very rapid and accelerated development platform which will also prove to be very valuable due to its real time nature....as well as real time deployment in situations where software development is required ASAP!

One of QNX's primary strengths through being a micro-kernel OS is that it has made a career out of its ability to support vast emulation. This will prove to be very valuable outside of the consumer market and especially the consumer market...Fall 2011 can't come soon enough
    Onyat, wiredr and TRlPPlN like this.
    06-27-11 08:47 PM
    Happy that some entity sees it as "not just another undeveloped toy". This is what will eventually separate the PB from the others - along with ruggedness of hardware and QNX. The CEO's of RIM have long term vision - unlike the "no native email, no autocorrect and not enough apps or games" whiners. I'm buying more stock. Thanks for making it cheap everyone.
    Pirks, aris20, johnmarki and 4 others like this.
    06-27-11 09:16 PM
    Amateur hour really is over now! I'm sure the portability of the PlayBook also adds another factor to this. Thank you for posting this article.
    stengel680 likes this.
    06-28-11 12:44 AM
    This sounds like something our government would do
    06-28-11 05:18 AM
    This sounds like something our government would do
    Require devices meet security requirements? Those bastards!
    Caliatty1992 and Pirks like this.
    06-28-11 05:51 AM
    The combination of capability and security is unmatched. This should be a boon for BlackBerry/RIM.

06-28-11 05:57 AM
    Canadian Forces and a few police agencies in Canada (I believe that has been posted before) are in varying stages of testing the PlayBook as a mobile solution.

06-28-11 04:57 PM
    Require devices meet security requirements? Those bastards!
    Sorry but you have more confidence in our government than me. The main reason our government buys anything is to support a union, not for any other reason.
    06-28-11 05:40 PM
    Sorry but you have more confidence in our government than me. The main reason our government buys anything is to support a union, not for any other reason.
    Right - everything our government purchases is manufactured by unions. You watch too much fox news.
    06-28-11 07:02 PM
    Aaaawww, luv....I'll have to fight ya on this. They simply have to meet the specs in the request for quote. The Playbook is being bought and piloted.
    06-28-11 07:40 PM
    On the ruggedness issue, otterbox + PB
    a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-28-11 09:10 PM
    And what about all the ipads Already in Use by US Military Pilots. The FAA has Already Approved ipads for use as navigational tools this last February. Don't get me wrong I love my BB but RIM has one heck of a lot of catching up to do. I hope they can do it before competition has taken the market.
    Last edited by mjth61; 06-28-11 at 09:19 PM.
    06-28-11 09:17 PM
    On the ruggedness issue, otterbox + PB
    I'm sure they'll require a MilSpec hardened case that will make an Otterbox look like Silly Putty. I've handled enough military equipmentvto know they're not gonna put up with lack of durability.

06-28-11 09:21 PM
    And what about all the ipads Already in Use by US Military Pilots. The FAA has Already Approved ipads for use as navigational tools this last February. Don't get me wrong I love my BB but RIM has one heck of a lot of catching up to do. I hope they can do it before competition has taken the market.
    Maybe it'll all depend on how these tablets would be used. Regardless, QNX on PB already has the advantage over IOS when it comes to security and OS infrastructure in the military services.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    06-28-11 09:36 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD