If the US Justice Department can actually hack the IPhone could this be an opportunity for BB10 that BlackBerry should exploit.

Hopefully if there is some kind of future for BB10 full advantage should be taken I would hope.

Any political reasons or Business reasons why not?

�On Sunday, March 20, 2016, an outside party demonstrated to the F.B.I. a possible method for unlocking Farook�s iPhone,� Justice Department lawyers wrote in the filing, referring to Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the San Bernardino gunmen. �Testing is required to determine whether it is a viable method that will not compromise data on Farook�s iPhone. If the method is viable, it should eliminate the need for the assistance from Apple.�

This was copied from a New York Times article.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 07:11 PM
    It was a matter of time. This allows Apple to be innocent, while riding a wave of believe that there devices are not hackable.

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    03-21-16 07:23 PM
    Hasn't Blackberry always touted security? Has it helped before?
    03-21-16 07:23 PM
    Yeah this will not help BB10 in any way at all.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-21-16 07:26 PM
    John McAfee offered to unlock the phone for them in the beginning of this whole mess. Fbi had no reason to ask apple to put in a backdoor except they wanted one for everyone.

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    TGR1 likes this.
    03-21-16 07:33 PM
    Like your username, the likelihood of this being beneficial to BB in any way, shape, form, or fashion is a crapshoot. Apple, on the other hand, comes out smelling like roses for taking such a principled stand for user privacy and security.
    JeepBB, Eumaeus and john_v like this.
    03-21-16 08:06 PM
    Like your username, the likelihood of this being beneficial to BB in any way, shape, form, or fashion is a crapshoot. Apple, on the other hand, comes out smelling like roses for taking such a principled stand for user privacy and security.
    Apple doesn't come out of this looking good. Perhaps morally, but not technically.

They aren't needed because an outsider cracked their security. How can that be good for them?

Then again, it's Teflon Apple... they can spin anything to look good.

Posted via CB10
    raino and gugomat like this.
    03-21-16 08:12 PM
    This is what I was thinking.

I also think that if the hack is successful it could be possible that Apple themselves provided the help to make this happen.

In any event, it seems like there could be an opportunity wasted here.

I know that BlackBerry will provide legally required access but if the IPhone is hacked and especially if Apple has something to do with it then there is a good potential for BlackBerry to exploit this not just for BB10 but for the whole of the company.

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    03-21-16 08:23 PM
    Apple is popular enough (because of nearly a decade of hard-earned goodwill - much as BB had in the early-mid 2000s) that they'll be able to patch whatever hole that (may have been) discovered, as they've already stated they intend to do, and tell everyone that their newer phones are unbreakable. Anyone who cares will simply upgrade to a new model and drive on - almost no one is going to switch platforms because of this. And many simply don't care enough about the issue to do anything at all.
    03-21-16 08:26 PM
    If a hacker or someone outside of Apple can do this as quick as they say then there's something seriously wrong especially when Apple themselves claim that the technology didn't exist but they have have a patch for it.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple gave in and I'm not saying that's bad considering the issue but from a business stand point I think BlackBerry should push the issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 08:39 PM
    How can BB "push the issue" when no one apparently knows exactly what's going on? That's a great way to get sued for libel or slander.
    03-21-16 09:20 PM
    How can BB "push the issue" when no one apparently knows exactly what's going on? That's a great way to get sued for libel or slander.
    Not to mention how desperate they'd look trying to take advantage of this, not that they aren't desperate already.
    03-21-16 09:28 PM
    Can someone please explain to me how Blackberry could possibly exploit this as an opportunity? To me it's like saying "Someone broke into my car last night, Blackberry should use this opportunity. It isn't at all related to Blackberry but man I hope they capitalize on it."
    JeepBB and bakron1 like this.
    03-21-16 09:34 PM
    John McAfee offered to unlock the phone for them in the beginning of this whole mess. Fbi had no reason to ask apple to put in a backdoor except they wanted one for everyone.

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    John McAfee is high on bath salts.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 09:40 PM
    Can someone please explain to me how Blackberry could possibly exploit this as an opportunity? To me it's like saying "Someone broke into my car last night, Blackberry should use this opportunity. It isn't at all related to Blackberry but man I hope they capitalize on it."
    I think the idea is that John Chen, the same genius who gave us gems like "app neutrality" and "it runs Google" will go on some news program and say something remotely intelligent about this that will somehow remind the world that his company is built around privacy and security but not come off as someone desperately looking for "opportunities" to exploit. Then, everyone will happily dump their iPhones in the nearest trash can(or recycle them, which, I hear is quite easy if you take them to Apple stores) and rush out to by BlackBerry phones. Or something.
    donnation, JeepBB, john_v and 2 others like this.
    03-21-16 10:03 PM
    Anyone who believes the hyperbole that Apple has been spewing about this issue are really living in the dark. The authorities already have access to Apple devices, this was only an attempt to "legalized ".or "formalized " what they have been doing all along.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 10:07 PM
    Anyone who believes the hyperbole that Apple has been spewing about this issue are really living in the dark. The authorities already have access to Apple devices, this was only an attempt to "legalized ".or "formalized " what they have been doing all along.

Posted via CB10
    NSA has had full access to the latest iOS. They also have access to other smartphone OS's.
    Quick Google search will explain why NSA isn't sharing with the FBI.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 10:24 PM
    I'm sure 99% of people out there believe that the iPhone is secure enough for their needs. The fact that it took the FBI this long to crack it would only reinforce that notion.

This controversy has noticeably muted the appeal of BlackBerry security because it has been weeks upon weeks of "The FBI can't crack an iPhone without Apple's help and Apple is determined to make it even harder." It's one thing to advertise the security of your handsets, it's another to see it action.
    MikeX74 and john_v like this.
    03-21-16 10:56 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is the best.

  
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    03-22-16 12:15 AM
    I have to laugh when I read all this stuff about Apple and any other smartphone manufacturer about device security. The NSA has hired the smartest minds and have cracked every OS out there long ago and this has all been public knowledge for a while now. Anytime your connected to the grid, your exposed to someone out there who wants to steal your data. That's why I don't use any of my smartphones to make payments or access my bank or debit card information.

I have also started to pay cash for my gas because of card skimmers being used at gas pumps here which can steal your card information like your PIN. The banks will preach convenience by using all this electronic payment stuff, but what amazes me is we used cash for over 200 years and never had none of the electronic theft issues we have today. Just a thought.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    03-22-16 04:55 AM
    I have to laugh when I read all this stuff about Apple and any other smartphone manufacturer about device security. The NSA has hired the smartest minds and have cracked every OS out there long ago and this has all been public knowledge for a while now. Anytime your connected to the grid, your exposed to someone out there who wants to steal your data. That's why I don't use any of my smartphones to make payments or access my bank or debit card information.

I have also started to pay cash for my gas because of card skimmers being used at gas pumps here which can steal your card information like your PIN. The banks will preach convenience by using all this electronic payment stuff, but what amazes me is we used cash for over 200 years and never had none of the electronic theft issues we have today. Just a thought.
    You've seen card skimmers at your local gas stations? I would hope you reported them to the managers or owners. Even if you prefer to use cash, by reporting skimmers you can really save a lot of other people a lot of trouble.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    03-22-16 06:50 AM
    You've seen card skimmers at your local gas stations? I would hope you reported them to the managers or owners. Even if you prefer to use cash, by reporting skimmers you can really save a lot of other people a lot of trouble.
    they are popping up everywhere here. every week several gas stations get hit. Some are taking measures to prevent it from happening but its hard to do
    03-22-16 06:58 AM
    they are popping up everywhere here. every week several gas stations get hit. Some are taking measures to prevent it from happening but its hard to do
    It sounds trite, but reporting ones you see is more helpful than you might think. Banks can detect them later, but sometimes too late to get ahead of the gangs who do this.
    03-22-16 07:11 AM
    It sounds trite, but reporting ones you see is more helpful than you might think. Banks can detect them later, but sometimes too late to get ahead of the gangs who do this.
    i have never seen one in place and obviously i would report it if i did. Im just saying its become a huge issue
    03-22-16 07:14 AM
    i have never seen one in place and obviously i would report it if i did. Im just saying its become a huge issue
    It has. As mobile payments and EMV roll out in other points of sale; these gangs are focusing more on the places where mobile and EMV aren't getting in their way.
    03-22-16 07:18 AM
63 123