Interesting...

BlackBerry: U.S. Carriers Not Hopeful On Z10, Analyst Says
    U.S. wireless carriers are not optimistic about the prospects for the BlackBerry Z10 touchscreen smartphone, Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair asserts in a research note today.

“While Blackberry’s stock continues to get whipsawed as investors debate the hopes for Z10 sell-through against headlines like Home Depot ditching Blackberry for iPhone, we are getting indications that U.S. carriers are not optimistic about Z10 sell-through, but are instead more hopeful about the keyboard-based Q10 due out in the May/June timeframe,” he writes. “We agree, and believe that Android and iOS are simply too entrenched in the U.S. market for the Z10 to make much of a dent in the U.S. beyond an initial run of Blackberry brand loyalists picking up units in the May quarter. We also continue to see evidence of growing enterprise support of iOS and Android.”

Blair says that he doesn’t think carriers expect consumers will leave the Android or iOS ecosystems “for what is ultimately a touchscreen also-ran that is short on apps, with no related product or content ecosystem.” He adds that any indications of weak sell-through of the Z10 in the U.S. next month will be met by “strong selling” of BlackBerry shares. While he agrees that there are better prospects for the Q10 among the keyboard-focused BlackBerry loyalists, he notes that the Q10 launch is still likely four months away.

BBRY this afternoon is down $1.22, or 8%, to $13.98.

BlackBerry: U.S. Carriers Not Hopeful On Z10, Analyst Says - Forbes
    02-13-13 03:15 PM
    Gee wonder how many of these analysts a shorting RIM stock???????
    02-13-13 03:27 PM
    In other news: Plasmid_boy's Super Breaking News channel quoted that plasmid_boy's top analysts think that everyone in the world is tired of iOS and Android and are waiting to get their hands on the Z10. They also predicted that sometime within this year, everybody will have a Z10 at which point iOS and Android will cease to exist.
    02-13-13 03:29 PM
    This guy is just guessing. Why can this guy not quote execs?
    02-13-13 03:35 PM
    if the analyst doesnt declare their position on that and relevant stocks, theres probably a reason.
    jus sayin
    02-13-13 03:41 PM
    I think this essentially correct. The problem is that the Q10 is a dead-end. It could sell well initially, but only to the installed base; it can't draw over any new users. That can give some short term sales, but it is essentially losing ground in the marketplace. In that sense, the z10 was more important, which is I'm sure why BB is concentrating on it, though it would have been to their great benefit to get both out together and be able to tout sales of both combined. The sales to BB faithful of the q10 would have pumped up numbers even if they aren't the market BB needs.
    02-13-13 03:48 PM
    lol

Based on what? His *******?
    02-13-13 03:50 PM
    Hello,

This article seems rather moronic. Aren't carriers making this a self fulfilling prophecy if they don't offer the phone (Z10)? Like Sprint and Virgin Mobile? That's CAUSING poor sales, because it is a pain to switch carriers (for example). PLUS...total speculation in the first place.

The quote “for what is ultimately a touchscreen also-ran that is short on apps, with no related product or content ecosystem.”

This isn't an analysis, this is parroting fanboy "conventional wisdom."

KAM
    zyben and northernrds like this.
    02-13-13 03:58 PM
    send email to BB and asking to contact the analyst for not talking much without proof the truth..
    02-13-13 04:00 PM
    this is all coming from his mind, what "we think", they are mind reading the carriers and then give it their own twist........
    and people fall for this kind of stuff, its a mind boggling....
    02-13-13 04:08 PM
    I thought we heard that Carriers were Definitely on board with Z10? I mean didn't Kevin quote that in his blog?
    kfh227 likes this.
    02-13-13 09:12 PM
    So lt me get this straight. Americans only buy iPhone and Android because they are too lazy to switch. OK chief. In the real world where the color of the sky is blue, people buy what is new, exciting and meets their needs. That happens to be BB10 at the moment. Hate to break your bubble but brand loyalty has a short half life.
    02-13-13 10:17 PM
    Whatever happened to evidence based research? The analyst's opinion piece is at best based on old thinking about what BlackBerry can produce. No apps? What a comment to make. He is also writing off Americans as too entrenched in their ways and not willing to try anything new. That flies in the face of evidence that Americans can think on their own and make their own choices.

As to the carriers showing fears, I guess they dismiss the rest of the world as irrlevant and only _they_ know the market. Somewhat similar to the attitude of Detroit's Big Three automakers when faced with the onslaught of imports that Americans actually wanted to buy.

All this article tells me is that the author must be shorting the stock and does not like to see BB or BBRY rising in the markets.
    02-13-13 10:31 PM
    I thought we heard that Carriers were Definitely on board with Z10? I mean didn't Kevin quote that in his blog?
    The only statemnts I ever read from analysts is that they think it is a good OS. They were politically correct in their comments. But they NEVER said that they don't want it. If anything, they said they want it so they can break teh Android/iOS duopoly. I think this is what RIMM said the feedback was from US carriers a month or two ago.
    02-13-13 10:56 PM
    So lt me get this straight. Americans only buy iPhone and Android because they are too lazy to switch. OK chief. In the real world where the color of the sky is blue, people buy what is new, exciting and meets their needs. That happens to be BB10 at the moment. Hate to break your bubble but brand loyalty has a short half life.
    People switch from iOS to Android alot. But it is inconceivable that people might switch to a third choice? Stupidity.

Wait till we see the advertising blitz IN WALMART in US stores.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-13-13 10:57 PM
    iOS hasn't really evolved much since it came out been there never going back, one word, "Boring". Android is excellent, the evolution is constant and I have an SG3 as my second phone. The BlackBerry however, well it just works, a true multitasking device! When I trialled the Z10 two weeks ago in London, it was clear that BlackBerry had a winner, I had serious technolust and was ready to trade my two phones but they ran out! Now this is the thing, BlackBerry has to get with it in terms of marketing, its all in the mind, somehow Apple has made a lot of people (mainly in North America) believe that the iPhone is the best, share of mind=market share eventually, case in point the Samsung Galaxy Note II.

BlackBerry needs to wake up to some real advertising and not special effects and let people know about this amazing phone and amazing OS!! Its selling for about $1200 around my neck of the woods because the 3G version hasn't been launched yet, but OK already BlackBerry/RIM, move it will ya??
    02-14-13 12:43 PM
    Seeking Alpha has a great critique of this exact Forbes item:

Blackberry And Forbes: Battleground Stocks And Headline Risks - Seeking Alpha

Among other things, the writer suggests the Forbes headline itself isn't supported by anything more than Blair's opinion and was somewhat inflammatory. It also goes over Blair's track record on both AAPL and RIMM, showing him to be going in the wrong direction on both stocks in the past year.
    RubberChicken76 and mgm1979 like this.
    02-14-13 01:06 PM
    I think this essentially correct. The problem is that the Q10 is a dead-end. It could sell well initially, but only to the installed base; it can't draw over any new users.
    It's drawing me back from a touch screen iPhone 4S. I like the iPhone. I hate typing on glass. I wanted an OS that didn't have some of the issues of the old OS like rebooting every time you install an app. This gives it to me.

So, at least 1.

In that sense, the z10 was more important, which is I'm sure why BB is concentrating on
    It's definitely where the growth is for sure. And let's be honest, what real competition does BlackBerry have for the keyboard segment of the market? If they want to grow, they have to make inroads in the touchscreen space.

Let's look at this as a carrier for a second. Forget iOS and Android and think only about BlackBerrys. Which sold better? The Bold 9900 or the Torch 9850? The keyboard curves or the touch screen curves? It's up to Blackberry to prove they can sell a touchscreen keyboard. Going on historics, the qwerty sold better.
    02-14-13 01:11 PM
    People switch from iOS to Android alot. But it is inconceivable that people might switch to a third choice? Stupidity.
    I would kill to see a Smartphone commitment study that actually segments the potential or liklihood of switching. Tthese "not compelling enough to switch people from iOS or Android" arguments tend to make the same sweeping assumptions:

- All people are stuck in their ways and don't like to try new things
    - All people are heavy, committed app users
    - All people are in love with their current Smartphone and in absolute hate of their previous Smartphone
    - All people have shelled out a bunch of money for paid apps, paid content and paid books etc ... and can't afford to switch to something new
    - All people have already bought smartphones
    - All people locked into a long contract the month before BlackBerry 10 launched and are now out of the market and falling in complete love with their new iPhone or Galaxy

There are always going to be people that are committed, people who's needs aren't met elsewhere and people who don't like change. But to paint everyone that way?

The number of iPhones I've seen get dropped for Galaxies, the number of BlackBerrys I saw get dropped for iPhones, the number of Palm Treo's I saw dropped for BlackBerrys suggests not everyone is committed and stuck.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-14-13 01:23 PM
    iOS hasn't really evolved much since it came out
    How do you figure that? Because of the icon based home screen?
    02-14-13 01:24 PM
    How do you figure that? Because of the icon based home screen?

because in the past few phones apple has came out.... they have made their phones slimmer and less then a few inches larger.... same design.. same apps and features.... just an inch or inch and a half taller.... nothing interesting there...
    03-21-13 12:32 PM
    Speaking of nothing interesting, you resurrected a month+ old thread just to say that!
    03-21-13 12:37 PM