I've been reading alot of threads about problems resulting in upgrading to
    Version 4.5 OS. Are the cons worth the pros?
    10-08-08 10:25 PM
    If you aren't comfortable doing it, don't do it. There are risks you take when upgrading.
    10-08-08 10:33 PM
    Yes as long as you have done the leg work required to fix
    whatever may go wrong. It is all about your skill level and
    comfort with doing such a thing.

It is not terribly difficult, just very time consuming. But there
    are things that can go wrong during and even after the OS is installed, so
    make sure you read the instructions posted in post #1 of the
    thread for the OS you want to install as well as some of the
    discussion threads

This will also help
    10-08-08 10:34 PM
    Have tried 4.5 and while it is nice I have encountered a memory leak which was not present before upgrading.
    10-08-08 10:36 PM
    I upgraded no problems (thanks to the instructions on CB) and would encourage you to read the instructions and if your comfortable upgrade. If not that's fine too its all a matter of preferance.
    10-08-08 10:52 PM
    As with anything yes there are pro's and con's but if you research it some first and follow the upgrade procedure properly then you should have a trouble free upgrade!
    10-09-08 04:18 AM
    I loved the OS flash. It improved the volume on my 8310 Curve, gave me utilities to open my Microsoft Word documents, improved my overall speed and also installed Voice Recording and *Movie* Recording utilities.

I even Brick'd the Berry on the first install, but totally worth the successful second try!
    10-09-08 05:44 AM
    I am not upgrading to 4.5 until an official update for T-Mobile is released. I'm not going to risk my UMA connectivity, which honestly, it's the only reason I decided to stay with the Curve and not go back to Windows Mobile.
    10-09-08 09:11 AM
    I have 4.5 and haven't had one problem on my BB. It's great!
    10-09-08 10:37 AM
    I am not upgrading to 4.5 until an official update for T-Mobile is released. I'm not going to risk my UMA connectivity, which honestly, it's the only reason I decided to stay with the Curve and not go back to Windows Mobile.

Do you by any chance know when the official update from T-mobile might be? Thanks
    10-09-08 12:15 PM
    Do you by any chance know when the official update from T-mobile might be? Thanks
    Unfortunately I don't.
    10-09-08 01:06 PM
    I first installed 4.5.0.55...it was horrible on my 8310. Went back to 4.2. Now I'm running 4.5.0.69...more stable than the original 4.2. I'd say its worth it, but, like everyone else said, issues can arise. Just make sure you're comfortable with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 01:13 PM
    I'm on T-Mobile and have the Curve too. I upgraded to 4.5 without any problems. Followed the instructions step by step and it went thru without any problems. UMA connectivity still works fine for me without any problems. Currently I'm using OS 4.5.0.55 (81).

I absolutely love it. Viewing emails in HTML format. I seem to get better sound too, and I now have a video camera option. I upgraded my girlfriend's curve too which is on t-mobile too and she has no problems too.
    10-09-08 02:08 PM
    The issue is not if or how well it works, it is the risk of going wrong and loosing your phone for hours while trying to learn enough to rebuild it.

I am very pleased to see BlackBerry has taken on the challenge. The automatic update procedure works very well. If you do have a problem, Technical support is primed to jump in and correct it.

The carriers that have enabled it are proving how well it works. You can be sure the other carriers are watching very closely.

It won't be long now.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

10-09-08 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD