I am due for an upgrade in March of next year. I am struggling with the idea of waiting beyond my upgrade date (i'm an inpatient person) and holding out for a BBX device. Do I just upgrade to an OS7 and move up to BBX on my next upgrade?

What would you do in my situation?

Last edited by mdalgart; 11-11-11 at 09:44 AM.
    11-11-11 09:42 AM
    I would wait until the end of Feb and see what has / hasn't been leaked about then new phones, there is still 4 or 5 months before you are due for your upgrade...
    mdalgart likes this.
    11-11-11 11:15 AM
    i have the same issue, i am due in 5 months and like the os7 but cant afford one upgrade and then miss the bbx upgrade for 3 yrs and yes i am on rogers.
    11-11-11 12:38 PM
    i have the same issue, i am due in 5 months and like the os7 but cant afford one upgrade and then miss the bbx upgrade for 3 yrs and yes i am on rogers.
    I think you just answered your own question. I upgraded because as head of a family plan with ATT, I can once a year. If my upgrade time was like yours, March of 2012, I would enjoy the anticipation of landing one of the new BBX phones. It just might be out by then.

When my year is up in November of 2012, I will move up to BBX. In the meantime, my 9810 is a great phone...a big improvement over the 9800.
    mdalgart likes this.
    11-11-11 12:55 PM
    I would happily stay with my 9000 but the app memory is going down to 1 mb and thats rubbish for only 8 apps including 1 theme. battery pulls a few times a day. I have scoured the forums for the memory clean up and reinstalled software and its still poo! Dammit where is the bbx and bugger Rogers for the 3 yr contract and poor me for not being able to afford to buy a phone outright
    11-11-11 04:46 PM
    I can see how the wait can be killing you, my contract with att was up this past August and was waiting to see if the bbx platform was going to be out soon or not. Its been a wait to see att get the 9860's and now its "supposed" to be not much longer before the bbx phones are supposed to be released. What I'm doing is putting the money aside for one of the bbx phones and ill just keep on with my 2year old 9800 until then.
    11-12-11 06:00 AM
    I can see how the wait can be killing you, my contract with att was up this past August and was waiting to see if the bbx platform was going to be out soon or not. Its been a wait to see att get the 9860's and now its "supposed" to be not much longer before the bbx phones are supposed to be released. What I'm doing is putting the money aside for one of the bbx phones and ill just keep on with my 2year old 9800 until then.
    Feel for you as well, I just found a german t-mobile os for my bold and have had consistent 24mb free!!!! Still though, we can't be the only ones stuck with the upgrade question or wait till bbx, perhaps a poll by CB might be upcomong to see the actual issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-11 10:27 AM
    I would certainly not put myself at the mercy of a 1.0 version of an operating system. Sorry, but to me a phone is a tool and could be a lifeline. So I would jump on OS7 while it's available.
    ILUMINATIUNDEAD likes this.
    11-14-11 07:39 AM
    I debated the same thing.
    My fiancee jumped ship and went to an iPhone... I took his 9800 to use over my 8530. I contemplated buying an O.S 7 outright but decided against it simply because I know I will want a new BBX phone (which I will still be buying outright but still). I debated also to scour ebay for a new O.S 7 9810 but the price is still more then I want to pay for a phone I will only use for maybe (hopefully) another 6 months.
    So I am waiting for BBX... And hoping they move back to an auto focus camera and not the crap one they put on the 9900... Otherwise I am not sure what I will end up doing.
    11-14-11 02:22 PM
    I don't know. Tough call. My guess is that bbx phones won't hit shelves until around 10+ months from now. Depends if you can stomach the wait.
    Revampd likes this.
    11-22-11 05:52 PM
    Am still proudly rocking my reliable 9780. Wanted to upgrade to OS7 devices but been hearing lots of problems with switching from OS6 to OS7 from friends. Problems such as poor battery life and bricking. Friends who had no problems at all were because they only restored bbm contacts. Email accounts were setup as if were a first time user and a new BBID had to be created. Sounds weird to me. Maybe this might have to be OS related. Am sitting on the fence here whether to wait for better OS7 builds or just wait for the BBX superphones.
    11-23-11 10:49 AM
    I would upgrade personally. Until the new phones are oficially announced. Rim is notorious for having false release dates, so for all anyone knows they can be released much later then anticipated. Yes, 7 has some bugs but its still fairly new yet. Overall I'm pleased with my 9850
    Revampd likes this.
    11-27-11 01:50 PM
    While I'm satisfied with my phone (9800), no upgrade needed. Maning, I'm waiting patiently for the BBX devices.

If, for some reason, my device becomes unusable before BBX phones are introduced - upgrade to OS7.
    11-29-11 12:01 AM
    This sounds exactly like the conversations from this time last year. Many were wondering whether to get OS6 or wait for OS7. Well, OS7 took longer than anticipated, and the phones, while nice, may not be exactly what the hold-outs were waiting for (in the case of the 9900: < battery, < camera, some bricking, etc.). I'm guessing some found it worth the wait and some did not.

I'm sure the BBX phones will be fine, but I doubt they'll be mind-blowing. And if for some reason they are, they'll be worth paying outright for.

And I don't think BBX is the reason for slow OS7 sales. I doubt most cell customers even know about BBX. I think people are just tired of the Blackberry image, form-factors, whatever. The BBX devices may bear very little resemblance to whatever OS7 device you're considering.
    12-02-11 09:40 AM
    When my upgrade is due, I look at what is on the shelf and pick one. Trying to chase the next better thing is a waste of time and energy. There is always something newer and better just around the corner.
    Revampd likes this.
    12-07-11 11:34 AM
    MY DECISION HAS BEEN MADE:

With the Latest delay on the BBX/BB10 Phones until last 2012 I've decided to make the switch to a Droid. It would seem to me that a BB10 Phone release at the END of next year will be obsolete by the time it hits the shelf. In my workplace I have been the last domino to fall... but this is the last straw. I have had a blackberry for a long time, but RIM has let me down for the last time..... Quite sad, really.
    12-30-11 08:44 AM
    I don't know. Tough call. My guess is that bbx phones won't hit shelves until around 10+ months from now. Depends if you can stomach the wait.
    I told you guys that bbx/bb10 phones won't be hitting shelves for 10+ months. I saw that coming a mile away.
    01-03-12 02:26 AM
    I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be switching to the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I have an upgrade coming to me in March and it looks like ill be going to Android for a bit before I go back to the new bbm phones when they release.
    I am still deciding mind you. I feel I might upgrade to the 9900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-12 08:01 AM
    I know how you feel . I am in the same boat but since I bought a new car Monday after Christmas I guess my upgrade money will be used for something else for a little while
    Anyway I guess I will wait till BBX or BB 10 comes out. My 9800 sure works good along side the PB bridged up and also being used via usb tethered to my laptop when the need arises. I think I will let things stay as they are right now and wait a while but dang it is tough.
    01-03-12 09:03 AM
    A lot depends on what I see with the OS 2 for the PB in February also
    01-03-12 09:08 AM
    The email keeps me with BB. The sexy look (up to this point) isn't bad either. Like someone else said I want somebody to know its a BB from 10 feet away. I don't want a iPhone or droid look alike. The setup I got now with the bridge connection to my PB and the tether ti my laptop via usb is to much to tear down and start all over with another brand of phone. Please Please RIM don't let me down I don't want to have to reconfig my entire setup. OMG the agony of it all
    01-03-12 09:33 AM
    I'm looking at the Galaxy Nexus as well. But since i'm not due for an upgrade until the end of March, all i can do is save my pennies. It's likely that other devices with Android OS 4 will be out by then. I've been hesitant to give up a physical keyboard, but i have to say with the size of the Nexus it works pretty well. If BBX were actually out by March, I'd reconsider.. but i just don't see OS7 as worthwhile to blow an upgrade credit on it.
    01-03-12 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD