Need advice from the experts. Current phone is the old school 8703e. I have an opportunity to purchase an 8830 for Alltel for $75. It was a replacement for a buddy of mine, but he ended up buying the 8330 because he wanted to the camera.

Anyways, I was thinking since I'm eligible for an upgrade, i would buy a curve in a few weeks. Upgrade price is obviously 199 after rebate. Kind of expensive in my opinion.

So the question is, 8830 vs. 8330. If I only pay 75 for the 8830 i don't have to extend my contract, but who knows what will happen when the merger is complete. Atleast I could upgrade from my 8703e and wait and see if the bold or javelin comes out in the next year on Verizon/Alltel.

What would you do and why?

Thanks in advance.
    - jay
    09-22-08 08:28 PM
    If I was you I would go with the 8830. Not saying Verizon is bad but you might not like the price or policies and it would suck to be locked in for another 2 years. Or you could just wait for the merger to go through and you might be able to get the Curve cheap from Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 03:58 AM
    Need advice from the experts. Current phone is the old school 8703e. I have an opportunity to purchase an 8830 for Alltel for $75. It was a replacement for a buddy of mine, but he ended up buying the 8330 because he wanted to the camera.

Anyways, I was thinking since I'm eligible for an upgrade, i would buy a curve in a few weeks. Upgrade price is obviously 199 after rebate. Kind of expensive in my opinion.

So the question is, 8830 vs. 8330. If I only pay 75 for the 8830 i don't have to extend my contract, but who knows what will happen when the merger is complete. Atleast I could upgrade from my 8703e and wait and see if the bold or javelin comes out in the next year on Verizon/Alltel.

What would you do and why?

Thanks in advance.
    - jay
    I've had the 8830 for several months now, and I have to say I really like. It was a vast improvement over my 7750, actually I know it was several generations later. Despite the lack of a camera, it's very similar to the Curve and it looks like you can get it at a price that can't be beat.
    09-23-08 05:29 AM
    I like the 88xx over the 83xx myself, but I am on GSM and the 88xx has more memory than the 83xx. I think you made the right choice. Plus the keys are just a tad bit bigger on the 88xx.
    09-23-08 05:32 AM
    I would definately go with the 8830. I love mine. $75 sounds like a great deal and no contract renewal!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 06:01 AM
    hey guys,
    thanks for the advice. Well the 8830 is in my posession. Just as suspected my buddy offered the brand new phone to me for $75. I took him up on it. Didn't have time to get it switched today but will do it first thing in the morning. I know I will like this phone. All my buddies that have the 8830 love it. Plus, although taller, its much thinner than my 8703e. The curve has definite appeal but I think I will just wait it out until something more prolific shows up after the merger.

Thanks again for the advice and reassurance. I think I made the right decision.

Thanks.
    - Jay
    09-23-08 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD