Updated with wifi direct/miracast support. Unfortunately, the WiFi chip in the Z10 is too old for that...
    Zamal974 likes this.
    08-05-13 01:45 PM
    Updated with wifi direct/miracast support. Unfortunately, the WiFi chip in the Z10 is too old for that...
    The Z10 can't support miracast?!

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 02:37 PM
    The Z10 can't support miracast?!

Posted via CB10
    The Wifi chip doesn't support Wifi Direct / Miracast.
    08-05-13 02:59 PM
    That sucks. It is amazing that they chose a chip that was so dated, or maybe it is what should be expected.
    08-05-13 05:13 PM
    i shall see your clock, and raise you a full on visualisation (apart from no bottom UI bar) lol

http://bbthemes.co.uk/crackberry/king_clock_flat.png
    Updated model numbers and names-asfjxhb.png
    08-05-13 06:10 PM
    That sucks. It is amazing that they chose a chip that was so dated, or maybe it is what should be expected.
    It's the same chip found in the PlayBook...
    jwarman likes this.
    08-05-13 06:32 PM
    It's the same chip found in the PlayBook...
    Damn! Were they just trying to use up stock? That explains a little more why I see similar reception on both when using them on the same network. Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 06:46 PM
    So how do you explain wifi direct working on leaks with the Q10? Unless the Q10 has a better chip?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 08:54 PM
    So how do you explain wifi direct working on leaks with the Q10? Unless the Q10 has a better chip?

Posted via CB10
    I would venture that a newer chip is correct.
    08-05-13 10:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it has a broadcom chip and so do the Q5 and Z30.
    Caf�, Kopi use the SoC's integrated wifi and should support miracast.
    08-05-13 10:20 PM
    Yes, it has a broadcom chip and so do the Q5 and Z30.
    Caf�, Kopi use the SoC's integrated wifi and should support miracast.
    I don't get it though. The xbox 360 apparently just got wifi direct and it's chip is old. I though wifi direct was just a standard that you add to the existing hardware through software to allow it to connect to things directly instead of through a router, I'm just finding it hard to believe that a dual band wifi antenna can't handle this.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 10:24 PM
    also this:

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/sear...=24&listmode=1

The Blackberry R-070 is certified (London), which ended up being the Z10. And under the FAQ section of the wifi alliance webpage:

Will legacy devices be upgradeable to support the specification underlying the Wi-Fi Direct certification program?
    The Wi-Fi Direct certification program does not require new hardware to operate, so some vendors may offer software upgrades. However, it’s important to note that interoperability between devices certified under the Wi-Fi Direct program and legacy � 2010 Wi-Fi Alliance. All rights reserved. devices is a key element of the underlying specification, so even non-upgraded devices can join a network certified as Wi-Fi Direct.

How does the specification underlying the Wi-Fi Direct certification program work?

The underlying specification connects devices using an approach similar to the traditional AP-toclient connection used in Wi-Fi CERTIFIED infrastructure networks. One Wi-Fi Direct-certified device will provide the connection to other participants in a group of Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices in lieu of an AP. A device certified under the Wi-Fi Direct program does not require special hardware compared to traditional Wi-Fi AP devices.
    http://www.wi-fi.org/media/press-rel...ity-guidelines

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Direct™ Now Included in DLNA� Interoperability Guidelines

DLNA� and Wi-Fi Direct™ Make It Easier Than Ever for Consumers to Connect Devices

Japanese
    Korean
    Simplified Chinese
    Traditional Chinese
    PORTLAND, OR – November 15, 2011 – The Digital Living Network Alliance� (DLNA�) today announced that Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Direct has been incorporated into its Interoperability Guidelines. Wi-Fi Direct is a certification by the Wi-Fi Alliance� for products that are capable of device-to-device connections without the presence of a traditional home, office or hotspot network. Through incorporation into the DLNA Interoperability Guidelines, Wi-Fi Direct will expand on the existing Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ devices supported by DLNA to enhance wireless connectivity for consumers globally.

“Wi-Fi Direct meets an important need for today’s consumers to enjoy seamless product interoperability,” said Nidhish Parikh, chairman and president of DLNA. “DLNA has supported Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices since 2005 and the inclusion of Wi-Fi Direct in our Interoperability Guidelines is a logical extension of our relationship with the Wi-Fi Alliance. We continue to advance the connected home by providing consumers with new, innovative ways to connect and enjoy their digital content.”

ABI Research recently examined key market and technology trends for the integration of home networking capability in mobile devices and expects DLNA Certified� and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
    Wi-Fi Direct smartphones to grow strongly through 2016. The firm stated that both will help consumers when connecting devices at home and will bring wireless technology further into the mainstream market.

“Worldwide demand for interoperable, security-protected Wi-Fi� products has grown exponentially in recent years, and the device-to-device usages enabled by Wi-Fi Direct are fundamental to digital home usages for Wi-Fi,” said Edgar Figueroa, CEO of Wi-Fi Alliance. “Wi-Fi continues to evolve and to enhance the connected consumer experience. The incorporation of Wi-Fi Direct into the DLNA Interoperability Guidelines will aid the proliferation of Wi-Fi Direct in today’s connected home.”

DLNA and the Wi-Fi Alliance are also jointly distributing a holiday edition Gadget Guide (http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wifi...tguide_dlnawfa) which highlights great DLNA Certified� and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ gift ideas available today for consumer purchase. The 2011 Wi-Fi� and DLNA� Gadget Guide: Holiday Edition is available now.

About DLNA
    Members of Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) share a vision of an interoperable network of personal computers (PC), consumer electronics (CE), mobile devices and service providers in and beyond the home, enabling a seamless environment for sharing and growing new digital media and content services. Founded in 2003, the group established and maintains a platform of interoperability based on open and established industry standards that, when used by manufacturers will support the sharing of media through wired or wireless networks. More than 200 multi-industry companies from around the world have joined DLNA, committing the time and resources necessary to achieve their vision. DLNA's Promoter Members include: ACCESS, AT&T, AwoX, Broadcom, CableLabs, Cisco, Comcast, DIRECTV, DTS, Dolby Laboratories, Ericsson, HP, Huawei, Intel, LG, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Panasonic, PROMISE Technology, Qualcomm, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Technicolor and Verizon. Additional information about the Alliance, its participating companies and membership benefits is available at www.dlna.org or find the Alliance on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dlnacertified or on Twitter at @DLNA.

About the Wi-Fi Alliance
    The Wi-Fi Alliance is a global non-profit industry association of hundreds of leading companies devoted to seamless connectivity. With technology development, market building, and regulatory programs, the Wi-Fi Alliance has enabled widespread adoption of Wi-Fi worldwide.

The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ program was launched in March 2000. It provides a widely-recognized designation of interoperability and quality and it helps to ensure that Wi-Fi enabled products deliver the best user experience. The Wi-Fi Alliance has completed more than 11,000 product certifications, encouraging the expanded use of Wi-Fi products and services in new and established markets.

Wi-Fi�, Wi-Fi Alliance�, WMM�, Wi-Fi Protected Access� (WPA), the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo, the Wi-Fi logo, the Wi-Fi ZONE logo and the Wi-Fi Protected Setup logo are registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™, Wi-Fi Direct™, Wi-Fi Protected Setup™, Wi-Fi Multimedia™, WPA2™ and the Wi-Fi Alliance logo are trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance. Additional details on the Wi-Fi Alliance and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Direct can be found at http://www.wi-fi.org/Wi-Fi_Direct.php. Follow Wi-Fi Alliance on Twitter @wifialliance.

Media Contacts:
    John Kreuzer
    McGrath/Power Public Relations for DLNA
    408-727-0351
    [email protected]

Karl Stetson
    Edelman for Wi-Fi Alliance
    206-268-2215
    [email protected]
    and even after all of that, it seems like wifi direct is a pretty important aspect of the M2M mantra Blackberry keeps touting. I'm not trying to start a fight with you, just I would be seriously PO'd if this feature doesn't come to the Z10.
    Last edited by Brandon Orr; 08-05-13 at 10:51 PM.
    08-05-13 10:30 PM
    I don't get it though. The xbox 360 apparently just got wifi direct and it's chip is old. I though wifi direct was just a standard that you add to the existing hardware through software to allow it to connect to things directly instead of through a router, I'm just finding it hard to believe that a dual band wifi antenna can't handle this.

Posted via CB10
    I've seen Wifi p2p code for the TI chip, so it could be that Wifi direct will be supported at some point. Maybe all they need is a firmware update. And after that, there might be other requirements for Miracast.
    All I can see right now is that the TI chip, with the current firmware doesn't support miracast.
    08-05-13 11:10 PM
    I saw Miracast on Z10 STL100-1 running 10.2.0.1047

Updated model numbers and names-img_00000458.jpg
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    08-07-13 03:44 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000458.jpg 
Views:	2128 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	190339
    Hopefully it's a place holder for the future, but according to ofutur and those I asked on the leak team it's unlikely z10's will support miracast

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 05:59 AM
    This is leaked OS for the Z30 right? So even if the Z10 can't use it, it would probably still show it.
    08-07-13 11:38 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000458.jpg 
Views:	2128 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	190339
    The service is running yes, but there is no audio profile.
    In theory, the omap processor in the -1 supports it, but I'm guessing that they want all Zs to have it or none of them. Let's see if they can get p2p working first...

My PlayBook? Very useful in the shower as a radio and notepad
    08-07-13 01:48 PM
    Is the STL100-1 using WL1281 or WL1283?

WIFI CHIPS
    L series: TI WL1273
    N, R, A , AQ: Broadcom BCM4334
    Cafe, Laredo, Kopi: Qualcomm WCN3660 (from SoC)
    I think you should update this to reflect the different chip used in the STL100-1.
    08-08-13 05:33 PM
    Is the STL100-1 using WL1281 or WL1283?

I think you should update this to reflect the different chip used in the STL100-1.
    WL1283
    08-08-13 05:47 PM
    New Z30 model: R137 - Astro X
    08-14-13 12:19 PM
    New Z30 model: R137 - Astro X
    I wonder if that is the quadcore version?
    08-14-13 12:27 PM
    I'm thinking Porsche edition since the R number finishes with a 7

Sent from my Z30/3
    mathking606 likes this.
    08-14-13 12:45 PM
    I'm thinking Porsche edition since the R number finishes with a 7

Sent from my Z30/3
    But the King model is a 768 wide screen not a 720 like the other A series devices.

that's only going off the assets in the OS though, and they could make a Porsche of both or change it to an A series from a L series base I guess.

would be easier to work out if it was R911 lol
    mathking606 likes this.
    08-14-13 01:17 PM
    Could simply be a new revision or one device with a different software profile to test something.

Lol@r911

They're also testing car touchscreen sensors...

Sent from my Z30/3
    08-14-13 01:41 PM
    Could simply be a new revision or one device with a different software profile to test something.

Lol@r911

They're also testing car touchscreen sensors...

Sent from my Z30/3
    they need that infrared sensor that was in the Bentley that brought up the menu prior to touch on a phone, you go to pick it up and the lockscreen shows. that would be genius.
    08-14-13 01:51 PM
1,126 ... 23456 ...