"Snap" is the best stop-gap solution for Android apps while we wait for BlackBerry to get its act together...
    I will be extremely, extremely disappointed in BlackBerry if they start bundling all the Google frameworks and other variations of snoopy garbage into the BB10 Android runtime.

If I wanted that garbage I would have just bought an Android device.
    RECOOL and Gerii like this.
    03-26-14 03:33 AM
    Dug through carrier settings.

85002C0A: SQW100-2 (Verizon)
    AF00240A: STO100-2 (Verizon)
    9E00080A: STB100-3 (Verizon)
    AE00240A: STO100-? (AT&T)
    9D00080A: ? (AT&T)

Another STB100-3, and I don't know why a dev device has AT&T configs.
    That confirms my HW IDs, thanks . Dev devices like the Dev Alphas had to be certified to be used on commercial networks, but the B could indicate that those are not just generic dev devices, but part of a different series.

Blegh...so I see six devices this year:
    No, Beaver is the name of a hardware revision of Tigris and I think people who came up with Windermere should be proud

So any data on the screens?? OLED, IPS ,LCD?? Glasstic (made this up or those it exist :lol) my contract runs out next year so I'll get ontario if the 150/windmill feels good in hand/pocket I'll buy it.Eitherway Im sure I will due to how rare it will be.That keyboard sounds amazing I heard when you landscape the keys will turn as well. The windmill i think will turn the closet qwertys lover which there is huge,huge amount.

1 more ting is mjolnir device ontario or a diferent beast???
    No data on the screens, no. It's possible to guess the type when a device nears production, because they start calibrating it, but I haven't bothered yet.

Mj�lnir has been around for a while. It could simply be a different reference platform for the next flagship. Every series had a reference design: Laredo, Parana, Tigris, etc.

hmm...now I'm confused regarding Jakarta:
    BlackBerry advised devs that their Z30 apps will automatically work on the Z3, which would imply that the resolution is 720p...however, it doesn't seem to be that way. Unless Momentic IDE and the SDK change so that apps now automatically adjust providing the aspect ratio is the same.
    Bleh.

That Z3 really is going to be 540x960 then, I guess.

How the hell are they going to scale existing apps down to that res - in software? I don't see how they can introduce a new app UI paradigm into the OS before the Z3 ships in a couple of weeks and apparently without the knowledge of developers yet.

And if they are "scaling" by shrinking UI elements, I don't see how that can work predictably for existing apps if developers never had an opportunity at development time to see how the UI components look for something developed targeting the Z30 but gets scaled down to the Z3.

Then what happens to the non-chrome/UI components, like their own displayed data? Bitmap scaling? Ugh.
    They're doing the scaling in hardware, like when you watch a 1080p movie on a 720p TV. Devs have nothing to do and the image quality will be as good as using the native resolution.
    DiegoV_G and RECOOL like this.
    03-26-14 05:02 AM
    That confirms my HW IDs, thanks . Dev devices like the Dev Alphas had to be certified to be used on commercial networks, but the B could indicate that those are not just generic dev devices, but part of a different series.

No, Beaver is the name of a hardware revision of Tigris and I think people who came up with Windermere should be proud

No data on the screens, no. It's possible to guess the type when a device nears production, because they start calibrating it, but I haven't bothered yet.

Mj�lnir has been around for a while. It could simply be a different reference platform for the next flagship. Every series had a reference design: Laredo, Parana, Tigris, etc.

They're doing the scaling in hardware, like when you watch a 1080p movie on a 720p TV. Devs have nothing to do and the image quality will be as good as using the native resolution.
    How will hardware scaling be accomplished? Is there a dedicated video processor of some kind?

Is the UI of the OS itself scaled too or is that rendered natively?

Scaling from 720p to 540p is an odd duck. There are bound to be some artifacts. If apps were built for that resolution, they would look a little better but you might not notice it unless you did a side-by-side comparison?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 05:20 AM
    Well movies are not typically line-art, though I suppose animations might come closer to that.

I'd be awfully surprised if it didn't look like dung on small contrasty details, and use extra battery power in the process, and impact performance.

Maybe they should name that processing the "fuzzer".

When I saw the photos of the Z3's screen it looked fuzzy to me even with that crappy 2nd-hand photo. I assumed at the time that it was the photo. I'm thinking it was just the fuzzy screen now.
    03-26-14 05:44 AM
    Updated model numbers and names-img_20140326_073701.png

The difference between a z30 and z3 is pretty obvious even from this screen shot of a video. But, Z3 is a pretty low resolution screen and this will not tell you much about how good the scaling is.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 06:40 AM
    I think we'd have to wait for 10.2.2 and poke at it with a scalpel to see how the scaling works.

Which should be soon.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 06:43 AM
    OK, so I revisited some files to try and find how scaling works and I was looking in the wrong place. The touch layer is 720p and mapped to the lower resolution used in the device.

So either they're using some form of hardware scaling elsewhere or they'll ask devs to create yet another set of graphics assets.
    Since the performance hit is negligible, I'm guessing they'll go with the former.

EDIT: They're using a 720p framebuffer. Other devices don't and render at native resolution. This, to me, indicates that they'll be using a hardware scaler.
    Last edited by ofutur; 03-26-14 at 07:30 AM.
    03-26-14 06:56 AM
    Best thread ever :') I hope they actually make the Windermere. It sounds brilliant!

Posted via CB10 with my crazy beautiful Q10
    03-26-14 07:40 AM

Alrighty, thanks. That makes sense.

Now I'm curious as to what this monster flagship device is that they're cooking up.

I wonder if they aren't perhaps keeping it hush-hush so as to not stir too many pots.

Also. I don't mind if the Z3 uses hardware rescaling. It will most likely LOOK like an entry-level device at a premium size.

Mmm...CB10! Just the tip though...
    03-26-14 09:16 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140326_073701.png 
Views:	1438 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	258456

The difference between a z30 and z3 is pretty obvious even from this screen shot of a video. But, Z3 is a pretty low resolution screen and this will not tell you much about how good the scaling is.

Posted via CB10
    damn the Z3 even more impressive design wise.They got the getsure area nice and low got rid of the chim.I can dig that for next all touch device.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 03-26-14 at 05:30 PM.
    03-26-14 10:26 AM
    Judging by Chen's reaction, Windermere must be real and a "critical and confidential project", because I can't see the Q20 taking that role.
    03-26-14 12:10 PM
    Does this mean no more leaks?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:41 PM
    Does this mean no more leaks?

Posted via CB10
    Probably just no more leaks as early in the dev cycle as 10.3.0.140.
    03-26-14 12:42 PM
    Probably just no more leaks as early in the dev cycle as 10.3.0.140.
    Exactly and it will probably become gradually harder to extract information, but people still manage to extract interesting tidbits from iOS betas, with Apple being notoriously good at hiding stuff, so I expect the same on BlackBerry's side.
    03-26-14 12:46 PM
    To quiet in here

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 06:18 PM
    To quiet in here

Posted via CB10
    Quiet? This thread has seen a lot of action since the 10.3 leak dropped. Lot of info got uncovered. Haven't been posted in so much since the first 10.2.1 leak dropped :P

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 06:30 PM
    I know, I just want more

Posted via CB10
    eldricho likes this.
    03-26-14 07:02 PM
    Give me that 4.5 inch windermere. No belt please.

I hope this is the device mr chen "hopes" will be ready by this year. Its either this or the 5/5.2" 1080p full touch device.

Looks like the Q20 "classic" is going to be a slightly larger (3.5 vs 3.1 inch screen) Q10 with a belt.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    03-26-14 08:01 PM
    Really hoping they can release both Windermere and Ontario this year.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:05 PM
    This appears to correspond with what we have about Mjolnir/Musket (although it looks like most of it came from the first post, anyway):

Ill get in trouble for posting this but i dont care heres two new blackberrys - System Wars - System Wars
    smart548 likes this.
    03-27-14 12:23 PM
    I'm going to assume they both have non removable batteries :/

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 01:11 PM
    This appears to correspond with what we have about Mjolnir/Musket (although it looks like most of it came from the first post, anyway):

Ill get in trouble for posting this but i dont care heres two new blackberrys - System Wars - System Wars
    Dat Musket thoooo
    On the other hand, discussion on that thread is hilarious

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool likes this.
    03-27-14 01:51 PM
    I'm going to assume they both have non removable batteries :/

Posted via CB10
    Those are dev devices, so it doesn't really matter
    03-27-14 01:58 PM
    Sad that this guy did not post something about Windemere The octacore is almost as powerful as my pc-desktop! And I'm playing Assassin's Creed IV smoothly!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 02:37 PM
    Love this thread interested in the Windermere and the new all touch beast

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 05:09 PM
1,126 ... 1415161718 ...