That's what it looks like so far, but I can't confirm it right now.
    Khan is definitely a rebadged Q10 and Classic is only for NA... so my take is that they starter with Khan as a Q10 with trackpad and then decided to bring it to NA.
    That statement is wrong since there is a ClassicROW.. which means that there is hope for the Q20 and that Thurask's theory of Khan being a special edition could be right
    03-24-14 07:29 PM
    That statement is wrong since there is a ClassicROW.. which means that there is hope for the Q20 and that Thurask's theory of Khan being a special edition could be right
    There was (very briefly) a rumour that a Porsche Design version of the Q10 might be in the works. It got lost among all the leaked photos of the P'9982, but one of the sources that leaked those photos claimed such a thing. Maybe we'll be seeing a P'9983 or something of the sort? It'd also line up with the King codename used on the P'9982, and the Knight codename used on the P'9981, seeing as all 3 start with a K.

In fairness, my theory doesn't explain the Kopi, but it's just a bit of speculation on my part.
    03-24-14 08:03 PM
    There was (very briefly) a rumour that a Porsche Design version of the Q10 might be in the works. It got lost among all the leaked photos of the P'9982, but one of the sources that leaked those photos claimed such a thing. Maybe we'll be seeing a P'9983 or something of the sort? It'd also line up with the King codename used on the P'9982, and the Knight codename used on the P'9981, seeing as all 3 start with a K.

In fairness, my theory doesn't explain the Kopi, but it's just a bit of speculation on my part.
    Kopi, Cafe, Americano and Cappucino all have to do with coffee, though. Evidently their dev team was pretty buzzed when they came up with the codenames.
    willwnet, LazyEvul and Ealaionta like this.
    03-24-14 08:13 PM
    Kopi, Cafe, Americano and Cappucino all have to do with coffee, though. Evidently their dev team was pretty buzzed when they came up with the codenames.
    Hm, in that case, I do see a relationship between Khan, King, and Knight that might further suggest we're looking at a Porsche Design device - all three names are related to some type of high-class leader. King and Knight are obvious, but for those who don't know (had to look this up), Khan is "a title for a ruler in Turkic and Mongolian languages and also used by Persians, Afghans/Pashtuns for chiefs and noblemen."
    DiegoV_G and root56 like this.
    03-24-14 09:13 PM
    Hm, in that case, I do see a relationship between Khan, King, and Knight that might further suggest we're looking at a Porsche Design device - all three names are related to some type of high-class leader. King and Knight are obvious, but for those who don't know (had to look this up), Khan is "a title for a ruler in Turkic and Mongolian languages and also used by Persians, Afghans/Pashtuns for chiefs and noblemen."
    Probably.

The Z30's "things that start with A" codenames feel rushed in comparison.
    LazyEvul and Ealaionta like this.
    03-24-14 09:43 PM
    I've had another look and I've made my mind up
    N SERIES (Khan)

• R139 - KhanB (SQN100-1) NA
    • R140 - KhanE (SQN100-3) EMEA

That doesn't mean that the Q20 will be any better, but let's see if it, at least, gets an update to the S4 Pro. Z30 internals wouldn't be that bad.

I did see references to the Snapdragon 600, so maybe they'll use that paired with a radio stack from Qualcomm instead of using an all in one solution...

Someone get me a Classic radio, please
    03-25-14 05:06 AM
    Ontario's screen has not been downgraded! Some variables are set at boot and then overriden. The specs haven't been changed and are 1080p
    03-25-14 10:19 AM
    Going to skip the q20 and wait for the next ones
    03-25-14 12:29 PM
    Windermere has a 4.5" screen at 452dpi, icons are organised 5x4
    Ontario has a 5" screen at 440dpi, icons are organised 4x5

Windermere's compact hybrid touch keyboard supports the following gestures:
    • Tap
    • Swipe down
    • Swipe up (validates word)
    • Swipe left (deletes word)
    • Swipe right
    • Touch up
    • Touch down
    • Touch + move
    03-25-14 01:14 PM
    I don't think so, but we'll see what happens with the next leak. 10.3.0.140 is an early build, very close to 10.2.2 which has been created for the Z3. Maybe things will look better in a proper 10.3 build.
    The Q20 will be some sort of entry level qwerty if they still go ahead with Windermere and on top of that, they have lots of unsold Q10 that they might try to recycle.
    I was hoping they would use the Z30 platform, since the GPU is underpowered in the Q10, but there is no sign of that yet.
    Don't you think reliance on an embryonic OS 10.3 which probably preceded John Chen, might not be fairly accurate?. A lot has changed under John Chen's leadership. I would think a subsequent OS 10.3 leak might be more insightful for your inferences and extrapolations.
    03-25-14 01:44 PM
    thanks for the info ofutur!! I lost track of the codemames in this thread, but the windemere is the next qwerty after the Q20?? Is that correct. Thanks.
    03-25-14 01:48 PM
    Don't you think reliance on an embryonic OS 10.3 which probably preceded John Chen, might not be fairly accurate?. A lot has changed under John Chen's leadership. I would think a subsequent OS 10.3 leak might be more insightful for your inferences and extrapolations.
    At dot 140, that leak is closer to a 10.2.2 release than a real 10.3. Things usually get interesting in the 500-800 range.

What this OS shows is what happened between the last 2 real leaks, between November and February. They worked on Khan, Ontario and Windermere and then introduced the JAT and Classic series.
    They could have cancelled everything and only keep the last 2, but I'll only know once I get my hands on more leaks, because they rarely remove cancelled devices from the code.
    There could be another, more interesting branch, which is only for new devices, with new chipsets, but I doubt it would reveal any interesting information. BlackBerry has always been conservative with the specs of its devices.

thanks for the info ofutur!! I lost track of the codemames in this thread, but the windemere is the next qwerty after the Q20?? Is that correct. Thanks.
    Yes, if it hasn't been cancelled...
    And I usually update the OP, so it shouldn't be too difficult to know what's coming
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-25-14 02:26 PM
    I remember seeing James Nieve of Berryflow posting a while back that the Ontario was indeed cancelled recently and they are working on a new all touch with better specs.
    03-25-14 03:07 PM
    I remember seeing James Nieve of Berryflow posting a while back that the Ontario was indeed cancelled recently and they are working on a new all touch with better specs.
    This was a rumour that turned out to be false...

Ontario will most likely be a Z30 replacement as a midrange device.

There will probably be a more powerful flagship device - possibly the 64 bit octa-core one. Unsure yet...
    03-25-14 03:16 PM
    This looks exciting!

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    03-25-14 03:18 PM

Subscribe at BBM Channel Amsterdam 020.am
    03-25-14 03:26 PM
    Hopefully somebody pays you to look at code the way you are here. Lots of useful info you've dug up here!
    anon5814103 and DiegoV_G like this.
    03-25-14 03:27 PM
    Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 04:20 PM
    Dug through carrier settings.

85002C0A: SQW100-2 (Verizon)
    AF00240A: STO100-2 (Verizon)
    9E00080A: STB100-3 (Verizon)
    AE00240A: STO100-? (AT&T)
    9D00080A: ? (AT&T)

Another STB100-3, and I don't know why a dev device has AT&T configs.
    03-25-14 07:39 PM
    hmm...now I'm confused regarding Jakarta:

jat.public
    screen_res::540x960
    screen_dpi::221
    icon_res::90x90
    screen_dimensions::2.44x4.34x5.00
    BlackBerry advised devs that their Z30 apps will automatically work on the Z3, which would imply that the resolution is 720p...however, it doesn't seem to be that way. Unless Momentic IDE and the SDK change so that apps now automatically adjust providing the aspect ratio is the same.

Blegh...so I see six devices this year:

Jakarta - 5" entry-level
    Ontario - 5" Mid-range 1080p All-touch 16:9
    Windermere - 4.5" some sort of witchcraft-based device that should be burnt because I will not abide a witch.
    Beaver - I'm assuming will be the new flagship device...
    Classic - The one I don't care for...the trackpad 3.5" qwerty
    Khan - Porsche Q10.

Hopefully they all come to fruition...hell, I wish the Mj�lnir would come out! I want that to be some ridiculous beast.
    03-25-14 08:11 PM
    hmm...now I'm confused regarding Jakarta:
    BlackBerry advised devs that their Z30 apps will automatically work on the Z3, which would imply that the resolution is 720p...however, it doesn't seem to be that way. Unless Momentic IDE and the SDK change so that apps now automatically adjust providing the aspect ratio is the same.
    Probably something to do with this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-units-917561/
    Nharzhool and dildothegreat like this.
    03-25-14 08:15 PM
    Probably something to do with this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-units-917561/
    Thanks, Thurask...I ran out of thanks to give today.

Since it is the same ratio as the Z30, Momentics IDE will most likely automatically assign to correct number of pixels and locations for the lower resolution device.
    03-25-14 08:26 PM
    Q4 2013 Q4 2013 Q4 2014 Q4 2014
    Pricing Tier All Touch QWERTY All Touch QWERTY
    Premium P'9982 P'9981 P'9982 Khan
    High End Z30 Q10 Ontario Windermere
    Mid Range Z10 Q5 Q20
    Low End 9720 Z3

From what I gather in this thread, this is how I expect BlackBerry's portfolio to evolve this year.

A few thoughts:
    • The premium tier devices like the P'9982 and Khan devices are irrelevant to the average user as they are fairly low volume and don't really take up much development time since they are simply respins of existing devices. BB will only make these if Porsche Design expects sales and they really serve to position BB as an aspirational brand with the CEOs and moviestars rocking $2500+ phones.
    • Ontario and Windermere are built on the same HW platform like the Z10 and Q10. BB may field Ontario at a lower price than Windermere given the higher competition in the All Touch segment. I still suspect Ontario will be priced above USD 499 at launch.
    • In the mid-tier the Q20 or classic replaces the Q5 to cover the mass enterprise deployments the curve line usually saw. On the All-touch side BB won't launch a new device here, I suspect they will field the Z30 and EOL the Z10. The Q20 is expected to be built on the same platform as the Z30, so it would make sense if they were priced similarly when the Z30 launches. The purpose of the Q20 is to drive droves of BB7 uses (mostly corporates) to upgrade to the BB10.
    • On the low end BB has only announced the Z3 so far and only for emerging markets. The strategy behind this device is to re-ignite marketshare growth in these markets. If this device is successful, I suspect we will see a Q3 by the end of the year or early next year. It may be a Q3 Classic if the classic line is successful as well.

It is interesting to note that BlackBerry's All Touch strategy has shifted from multiple screen sizes : one screen resolution to one screen size :
    multiple screen resolutions. The Z3, Z30, and Ontario all have ~5" screens and the same aspect ratio.

Last year BlackBerry launched the Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, the 9720 and the P'9982. This year they are expected to launch the Z3, Q20, Ontario, Windermere and Khan. On the surface it looks like they are launching only one fewer device this year, but with fewer variants and smaller rollouts they have a much smaller exposure to the financial risks they ran into last year.
    03-25-14 08:52 PM
    So any data on the screens?? OLED, IPS ,LCD?? Glasstic (made this up or those it exist :lol) my contract runs out next year so I'll get ontario if the 150/windmill feels good in hand/pocket I'll buy it.Eitherway Im sure I will due to how rare it will be.That keyboard sounds amazing I heard when you landscape the keys will turn as well. The windmill i think will turn the closet qwertys lover which there is huge,huge amount.

1 more ting is mjolnir device ontario or a diferent beast???
    03-25-14 09:40 PM
    From 10.3.0.140:

jat.public
    screen_res::540x960
    screen_dpi::221
    icon_res::90x90
    screen_dimensions::2.44x4.34x5.00

Bleh.

That Z3 really is going to be 540x960 then, I guess.

How the hell are they going to scale existing apps down to that res - in software? I don't see how they can introduce a new app UI paradigm into the OS before the Z3 ships in a couple of weeks and apparently without the knowledge of developers yet.

And if they are "scaling" by shrinking UI elements, I don't see how that can work predictably for existing apps if developers never had an opportunity at development time to see how the UI components look for something developed targeting the Z30 but gets scaled down to the Z3.

Then what happens to the non-chrome/UI components, like their own displayed data? Bitmap scaling? Ugh.
    03-26-14 03:29 AM
1,126 ... 1314151617 ...